Player Watch Will Hamill

Remove this Banner Ad

I suspect he will become the second coming of our Tom Lynch
That would be quite a role change

Lynch’s primary role is to start forward, lead up to the ball, mark, turn and lace up a leading forward inside 50

Hamill looks more of a handball receive, run and carry type player

Hamill would normally be our second pick in the draft. We would be full of excitement waiting to see him play!

Whereas this period after all the noise about the early picks, our two top 20 picks, the trade with Carlton... a running halfback at pick 30 is almost an anticlimax

I reckon with Smith having that risk of a recurring ACL, Milera needed on the wing at some point especially if Seed gets injured again, McPherson being so injury prone, we absolutely needed to add a running halfback in the draft. If we get some bad luck with injury Hamill might end up playing sooner than we think.

I see Hamill as a Robbie Muir type player, quick, angry, probably packing a couple of extra elbows away to be used if needed and won't be afraid to use them. There won't be a HFF who will go near the ball if he was within 20 metres of the ball such will be the fear of Hamill. Of course, I'm probably wrong about this and he is a fair and just player with the regulation 2 elbows and a solid control on his temper

Hamill would normally be our second pick in the draft. We would be full of excitement waiting to see him play!

Whereas this period after all the noise about the early picks, our two top 20 picks, the trade with Carlton... a running halfback at pick 30 is almost an anticlimax

I reckon with Smith having that risk of a recurring ACL, Milera needed on the wing at some point especially if Seed gets injured again, McPherson being so injury prone, we absolutely needed to add a running halfback in the draft. If we get some bad luck with injury Hamill might end up playing sooner than we think.
That is possibly the most negative way to view our half back stocks possible.

Our 2nd picks haven’t exactly set the world on fire in the recent past

2010 - Lyons
2011 - Kerridge
2014 - Wigg
2015 - Doedee but he was 1st round, next was Paul Hunter in the rookie draft
2016 - Poholke
2017 - McPherson

I left out the Tippett sanction years as we were locked out of the 2nd round but our 3rd round picks in Atkins and Knight were better than most of our 2nd rounds in other years

Good post :thumbsu:
The kid is an outstanding athlete. He was a former state and national champion for his age groups in Long and Triple Jump and regularly made state and national sprint finals. Has a complete disregard for his own safety in contests and will back into a pack or run back with the flight of the ball without a second thought. Can take a great overhead mark and his kicking on both sides would be regarded as elite.
His family spent a couple of years over in Canada, he's only been back in Australia a couple of years so effectively had 2 years out of footy.
A lovely well mannered kid, quiet and respectful that other kids naturally look up to. The type of kid that doesn't say much but when he does, people listen.
Great family as well.

With this, plus the speed, endurance, clean hands and decent kick/handball, really looking forward to seeing him develop. Could really go under the radar and bide his time in the SANFL this/next year, and then become a 3rd year Doedee type fan favourite in 2021. Fans will love him if he plays anything like Brodie Smith.

Has by far the broadest frame of the draftees, should be able to put some decent size on over the next couple years. Ceiling seems high. See whether production increases in SANFL under different team coaching structure, as seems that lower average disposal (under Dandenong team-first gameplan) allowed him to fall to 30 to us.
Hamill1.jpg

With this, plus the speed, endurance, clean hands and decent kick/handball, really looking forward to seeing him develop. Could really go under the radar and bide his time in the SANFL this/next year, and then become a 3rd year Doedee type fan favourite in 2021. Fans will love him if he plays anything like Brodie Smith.

Has by far the broadest frame of the draftees, should be able to put some decent size on over the next couple years. Ceiling seems high. See whether production increases in SANFL under different team coaching structure, as seems that lower average disposal (under Dandenong team-first gameplan) allowed him to fall to 30 to us.

Looks a solid frame to build on also. A lot of reason for optimism with this kid i think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really doubt he'll be given much of a chance at Adelaide tbh.
Your last recruit from the Stingrays, Myles Poholke, has never been given a fair go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back