Player Watch Chayce Jones - Re-Signed to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

At the very least they need to find out about the midfield.

Throw him in there for a stint now and again.

There are no safety nets in sport and you can't protect players like babies.

We are in a rebuild and one of the bottom teams. Experimentation should be high on our priorities. Only then can we understand what works and move into a refinement phase.

Building nicely. Not everyone's a star at 20-21.

Looks at the moment as a long term replacement for brodie Smith, but think he has a higher ceiling then that.

Still bullish on him. Has power and Courage.

At the very least they need to find out about the midfield.

Throw him in there for a stint now and again.

There are no safety nets in sport and you can't protect players like babies.

We are in a rebuild and one of the bottom teams. Experimentation should be high on our priorities. Only then can we understand what works and move into a refinement phase.

There's a good chance that we can build him up to eventually gain more midfield minutes, or that he becomes a long term player of versatility.

Laird has spent the majority of his career down back and made the transition to midfield,nothing saying Chayce can't do the same thing with some time.

In 2021 Izak is at 2.6 tackles/16.8 pressure acts. Its not setting the world on fire on that side of the ball, but also, it's closer to McHenry* (3.2/18.7) then it is Rowe (2/12.8).

*who is above average for general forwards, and Rowe is bad.
Without looking at game by game stats id expect Izaks tackle numbers to come in pockets of games rather than consistent effort. Being closer to McHenry probably isnt what youd call good for a player of his talent.

I’m loving Jones improvement but I think we need to cook the jets a little bit. We’ve set such a low benchmark for him that a couple of 15 possession games = future AA.

Im still about 30-40% sure he’s going to make it as a good player. About a month ago I was only 10%.
I dont think anyone has said that......

Agreed, no reason to think about pushing him back into the middle just yet.

If the upward trend continues then maybe, but in saying that if he keeps improving where he is then you may as well leave him there

Surely there’s no harm in that??😝

Chayce Jones will be the 2021 club champion and 2022 Brownlow Medallist!
And later retires the greatest midfielder of his generation at 35 and 285 games with 3 Brownlows, 6 AAs and a rare Norm Smith in a losing GF side.

After his playing career he transitions to coaching and at the age of 43 takes over the reins at the Adelaide Crows taking them to finals for the time in 5 years in his first season. Under Jones, the team establishes itself as a Top 4 side before breaking through for the 2047 Premiership, it’s first since 1998. Success continues through 2048-50 for a rare 4-peat.

Jones passes away on 1 January 2100 at 99 years. He is widely lauded as the greatest ever Crow and the patriarch of the greatest ever Crows family as 2 of his sons, a daughter, 3 grandsons and 2 granddaughters and 1 great granddaughters having played a total of 990 games for the club with over 10 B&Fs between them.

Or perhaps more likely, he plays 98 games for the Crows over 8 seasons before becoming a foundation player of the new Tassie Devils AFL team where he plays another 35 games over 3 seasons before being delisted at 29 and never heard of again in AFL circles.

Without looking at game by game stats id expect Izaks tackle numbers to come in pockets of games rather than consistent effort. Being closer to McHenry probably isnt what youd call good for a player of his talent.

Yup, all small forwards end up picking up their stats in squirts though. It's not a position that lends to any consistency throughout a match. Defense, like offense is just a case of making an opportunity count.

For someone like Izak, it's good enough if he's in form offensively. You don't want him being a liability on the defensive side of things, and those numbers indicate he's not a liability on the defensive side of things. When he starts to have a rough patch, it might not be enough however. That's when defense can really save a player.

Mind you, I do wonder if this axing lends any credence to Izak wanting out. Of course, it could be a coincidence, but the timing seems odd.

And later retires the greatest midfielder of his generation at 35 and 285 games with 3 Brownlows, 6 AAs and a rare Norm Smith in a losing GF side.

After his playing career he transitions to coaching and at the age of 43 takes over the reins at the Adelaide Crows taking them to finals for the time in 5 years in his first season. Under Jones, the team establishes itself as a Top 4 side before breaking through for the 2047 Premiership, it’s first since 1998. Success continues through 2048-50 for a rare 4-peat.

Jones passes away on 1 January 2100 at 99 years. He is widely lauded as the greatest ever Crow and the patriarch of the greatest ever Crows family as 2 of his sons, a daughter, 3 grandsons and 2 granddaughters and 1 great granddaughters having played a total of 990 games for the club with over 10 B&Fs between them.

Or perhaps more likely, he plays 98 games for the Crows over 8 seasons before becoming a foundation player of the new Tassie Devils AFL team where he plays another 35 games over 3 seasons before being delisted at 29 and never heard of again in AFL circles.

Poor Chayce…what could have been…

But never mind! After the 2050 flag Mad Dog Mackay takes the reins as playing coach, setting the Crows up for endless…

a) Success
b) Mediocrity
c) Summer
d) F/S run-and-carry half backs

Personally I think he’ll be very good if it eventually does click. Look at his face/body when he was drafted, underdeveloped kid albeit named ruck rover next to Sam Walsh in the AA u/18s.

Has extreme pace, courage and neat kicking skills/decision making. His spatial awareness is weird though, that may come with more experience and development. But yeah if it does click for him, then I think he’ll be a very good player and many of us including me will be eating our words.

I don’t think he’ll be playing HBF for too long, they’ll be giving him little bursts in the midfield next year when his confidence is up. Something went wrong for him last year, good to see him playing well now.
Unarguably, it was definitely a very strange season* last year and I think Godden went wrong for him.....

Unarguably, it was definitely a very strange season* last year and I think Godden went wrong for him.....

Might have compounded, but it's very likely Godden wasn't the cause.

I suspect we promoted Chayce to a more important role too early and he crumbled under the weight of expectation. Especially with us being a shitshow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the end the only real question mark will be: who would you pick first in their prime, Gary Ablett Jr or Chayce Jones?

Junior Footy.

I am sure you can pull up favourable content on Gallucci predraft.

Sometimes it doesn't translate to AFL.

In any case, he is tracking well in a different role. Which is still a good outcome.

I get the feeling the "Jones to midfield" call will be made here for the next ten years.

Meanwhile he has a very good career as an elite defender.

Yeah Laird has made the transition, but Smithers didn't.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

More bed wetting like in the draft pick thread…

EVERYONE WHEN THE KID IS DRAFTED: you gotta get 50 games into him, find out if her’s good or not!

(Reaches 33 games)

HE’S A FAIL! HE’S A FAIL! DELIST! TRADE! FIRE THE ENTIRE RECRUITING TEAM!

You can tell lots of posters never though through the ramifications of a rebuild before, Flying Spaghetti Monster it’s sad.

It must be said though, he looked absolutely lost in a few games late last year and early this year. He looked like a deer in the headlights and completely devoid of any confidence. Credit to him and the coaching staff for turning it around, changing someone's mindset is incredibly tough.

Everybody wants a rebuild but nobody wants to go through a rebuild.
Although I have to say I am liking going through the rebuild. As long as we are rebuilding and not doing a Carlton. I think it comes from spending 20 years coaching junior district basketball. Winning is good but I really get a kick out of seeing kids develop. There is no pressure on wining, it is what it is. We pull off a few outstanding wins like Cats and Demons are icing on the cake.
Watching Young Harry, Big Filthy and other develop gets me excited and coming back for more week after week.
I was worried for Chayce, looked lost, but I think he is back on track, also think the same about Neddy.
It's a balancing act this rebuilding, need to play the kids but also need some old heads to give them some cover and guidance.
Gunna hit some lows like the Bombers and GWS games but also gunna have some sweet sweet highs like the cats and demons. People need to chill a bit and enjoy the ride.

Although I have to say I am liking going through the rebuild. As long as we are rebuilding and not doing a Carlton. I think it comes from spending 20 years coaching junior district basketball. Winning is good but I really get a kick out of seeing kids develop. There is no pressure on wining, it is what it is. We pull off a few outstanding wins like Cats and Demons are icing on the cake.
Watching Young Harry, Big Filthy and other develop gets me excited and coming back for more week after week.
I was worried for Chayce, looked lost, but I think he is back on track, also think the same about Neddy.
It's a balancing act this rebuilding, need to play the kids but also need some old heads to give them some cover and guidance.
Gunna hit some lows like the Bombers and GWS games but also gunna have some sweet sweet highs like the cats and demons. People need to chill a bit and enjoy the ride.
They key is being competitive. You can live with losses if you see improvement and intent. Which is why the last few weeks everyone has had their jimmies rustled because we've not put the effort in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back