Player Watch Chayce Jones - Re-Signed to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree it's probably psychological but if a player can't handle a bit of lip from a coach without his confidence being crushed, he's not going to make it in the AFL.

This was a bad pick from Hamish. Finding guys with the right physchology is just as important as finding players with the right physical traits. We already saw with Gallucci that speed and skill is not enough on it's own.
A coach should be good enough to know which players can handle it and which can't. That's part of coaching too, finding what makes your players ticks and what you need to do to get them to respond.

A coach should be good enough to know which players can handle it and which can't. That's part of coaching too, finding what makes your players ticks and what you need to do to get them to respond.
It's a fair call but we've seen an uptick in performance from our midfield group so I'm not convinced that VB isn't capable of tailoring a plan to suit each individual. Marco Bello, the clubs senior development coach also talked about how he tailors plans for each individual player during the preseason. I can't say for sure but I would have thought Bello would have more influence over Chayce's development right now whereas Godden is a match day SANFL coach.

Appreciate they don't tell the full story, but as I said, higher ceiling is the over-riding factor.

Agree we should play him as a mid - my preference is an offensive winger; a role where he can chase the footy and we try and get him in the bloody game. I know that's not ideal, and neither is the HFF, but we've got to find a way to get him up and running - he's too valuable of an asset to let fail.

Aware of that re Murphy; wanted him playing defense for most of last year.
Has anyone seen Jones ‘s SANFL game this year . He is the fittest at the club but jogs in no mans land away from the play instead of from contest to contest were the ball is . When he is at ball ups he grapples with his man instead of just using his pace to see ball get ball and stuff his man. What are the coaches telling him ??? It so blatantly obvious what he is doing wrong .

It's the double standards again.

Murphy contributes nothing MORE than Jones would.
Mackay's average results in people saying Harry S should be dropped.

Would Jones, on average, contribute less than Murphy?

No, he wouldn't.

Who has a higher ceiling, Jones or Murphy?

Jones, by a mile.

Should be an easy decision.

I disagree, in this case.

Perfect opportunity to sit down Jones and back him in, build his confidence. Let him play with some freedom and without pressure (ie; tell him we're giving him 4 weeks to settle into the side, no matter what), and tell him to hunt the footy and enjoy it.

We need him to come good - our current approach isn't working - we should do everything we can to make it happen.

We have a really strange approach to high draft picks sometimes; it's like we're prepared to cut a battler like Murphy some slack to try and prove he's up to it, but we're reluctant to give a high draft pick the same leniency.

Agree with this mindset in general, but feel like Jones at this stage might be a unique case.

His ceiling is higher - by a long shot. But he looks to me like a kid who needs to remind himself of how high that ceiling is. Needs to dominate a couple of games, get some swagger back, take risks & back himself in.

Put another way - in general i'm with you that 10 touches in the AFL are better for a kids development than 35 in the SANFL, as long as his head is right and he's on the right trajectory. He looks to me like a kid who needs a couple of good games to get his head right first.

First I’ve heard of this?
Been doing the rounds for a good 12 months.

As for this week, surely they cant pick him in the seniors..... I have been a fan of his but he needs time in the reserves.

Has anyone seen Jones ‘s SANFL game this year . He is the fittest at the club but jogs in no mans land away from the play instead of from contest to contest were the ball is . When he is at ball ups he grapples with his man instead of just using his pace to see ball get ball and stuff his man. What are the coaches telling him ??? It so blatantly obvious what he is doing wrong .

I noticed this last week against South.
He doesn't seem to run hard at the important times to get the ball enough.
I would prefer he plays at the centre bounces instead of out on the wing.

Is there a difference between players who shine in smaller systems eg Tassie, maybe SA and players who shine in strong programs?

In a small system Chayce Jones and Tarryn Thomas are the absolute stars of the show, command the football, have set ups revolve around them, have plenty of football directed their way, always get played in their preferred role.

In strong systems players have to compete with team mates as well as opposition. More difficult to stand out, the load is shared, might not always be in your favourite role so develop other skills, need to develop ways to get involved in the game, initiate yourself rather than have it done for you.

Is there a difference between players who shine in smaller systems eg Tassie, maybe SA and players who shine in strong programs?

In a small system Chayce Jones and Tarryn Thomas are the absolute stars of the show, command the football, have set ups revolve around them, have plenty of football directed their way, always get played in their preferred role.

In strong systems players have to compete with team mates as well as opposition. More difficult to stand out, the load is shared, might not always be in your favourite role so develop other skills, need to develop ways to get involved in the game, initiate yourself rather than have it done for you.
Certainly an interesting observation, there would be an element of truth to it too. I think the best still learn to adapt, whether these 2 can is the question.

Both have more than enough talent to make it, and appear to have the physical attributes too..... doesn't always mean that they will

Which players have we picked up from tassie over the years? Jones and Hartigan are two that spring to mind. Any others?
Siggins.

Greenwood and Callinan are Tasmanian but not drafted from there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ummm both Chayce and Tarryn were in the AFL Academy for 2 years and get a shedload more put into them than the usual U18 programs.

And I might add both starred against their peers playing for the Allies at the Nationals against lads like Sam Walsh, Bailey Smith. James Rowbottom, Caleb Serong, Xavier Duursma etc who have all graduated to the AFL fine?

I think it goes a bit deeper than that, both lads rocked up to clubs going through quite a bit of turmoil off field which probably feeds into it to some extent.
With us we had a coaching and playing group grappling with our dismal Grand Final showing and then the infamous "camp" fall out along with going all in at another Finals campaign.

I don't care what others think but the Chayce Jones that was so outstanding in his draft year is but a shadow of that player today and while some of that may be down to him I think something has gone real wrong at the club for him to be playing like he is.

Ummm both Chayce and Tarryn were in the AFL Academy for 2 years and get a shedload more put into them than the usual U18 programs.
Whether they got good coaching is irrelevant to the point I'm making.

And I might add both starred against their peers playing for the Allies at the Nationals against lads like Sam Walsh, Bailey Smith. James Rowbottom, Caleb Serong, Xavier Duursma etc who have all graduated to the AFL fine?
Not sure you've read what I posted?

Starred when they were the stars of the show. In AFL ranks they are one cog in a wheel.

Walsh and other Vics had to play alongside a cavalcade of other stars. Which is exactly what it's like at AFL level.

I think it goes a bit deeper than that, both lads rocked up to clubs going through quite a bit of turmoil off field which probably feeds into it to some extent.
With us we had a coaching and playing group grappling with our dismal Grand Final showing and then the infamous "camp" fall out along with going all in at another Finals campaign.

I don't care what others think but the Chayce Jones that was so outstanding in his draft year is but a shadow of that player today and while some of that may be down to him I think something has gone real wrong at the club for him to be playing like he is.
We need to at least wonder if there's a chance that Jones isn't as good as he looked at Under 18 level.

If that's the case then why? What was it that mislead us 3 years ago?

Whether they got good coaching is irrelevant to the point I'm making.

Not sure you've read what I posted?

Starred when they were the stars of the show. In AFL ranks they are one cog in a wheel.

Walsh and other Vics had to play alongside a cavalcade of other stars. Which is exactly what it's like at AFL level.

We need to at least wonder if there's a chance that Jones isn't as good as he looked at Under 18 level.

If that's the case then why? What was it that mislead us 3 years ago?
Nothing mislead us at all he was always going in the 1st round whether we took him or someone else, likely GWS.
Can't agree sorry, somewhere along the way we've stuffed him, this was a player that was one of the best ball hunters in his draft class, athletically a cut above almost all other midfield prospects on top of that.

Nothing mislead us at all he was always going in the 1st round whether we took him or someone else, likely GWS.
Can't agree sorry, somewhere along the way we've stuffed him, this was a player that was one of the best ball hunters in his draft class, athletically a cut above almost all other midfield prospects on top of that.
Again, whether other clubs were also going to take him early is irrelevant to the point I'm making.

They may well have been mislead too.

The question I'm asking is do players shine artificially in smaller systems?

Our other guys don't seem to be suffering though.

I think the time for blaming coaches or the clubs' turmoil for the form of this bloke is past. Players are out there doing it and there is only so much a coach can do. I haven't seen him this year so I'm relying on others who have, but if reports of him jogging and not getting to contests and having zero ball-winning ability at stoppages are correct then the sooner he either fixes this himself or packs his bags the better.

Didn’t Jones kick 3 goals in a practice match earlier this year? He surely can’t be that far off the pace..?

He's falling further and further behind if anything.

Newchurch is not far away from a small forward spot. Pedlar is going to be a star from everything I've seen of him. Hately as well is finding a bit of form this week... Jones on the other hand really hasn't been able to find anything to differentiate himself from the pack.

He's better than last week, but he's looking like a bog-standard SANFL player at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back