Nige_Bix

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
WWT Eagles
Hopefully we will hear from the club and they will explain the selection, as they could have gone a few ways given what was available. I'm sure the lad is stoked and good luck to him. Let's hope he can settle in well and show us what he is capable of.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
I’ll just repeat Jeffcrowe’s post from the other thread as he’s summed it up perfectly.

I reckon we need someone who can carry the ball and kick it with skill but maybe that’s just me

I’m relieved we didn’t recruit a contested ball king with average speed that is an average kick that can only play midfield like we normally do

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hopefully we will hear from the club and they will explain the selection, as they could have gone a few ways given what was available. I'm sure the lad is stoked and good luck to him. Let's hope he can settle in well and show us what he is capable of.

Hamish explains here that we locked into him a couple of weeks ago as best available

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Welcome Parnell! Sounds like the club has long-term plans for him, hopefully they pan out.

I have a question. Why was he still available here? Given his age, he would have been eligible for the 2020 draft. Did he put his name in the mix but get overlooked by every club last year? Has he suddenly come out of the clouds this year? Did he not get to play any footy last year with Covid?

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Welcome Parnell! Sounds like the club has long-term plans for him, hopefully they pan out.

I have a question. Why was he still available here? Given his age, he would have been eligible for the 2020 draft. Did he put his name in the mix but get overlooked by every club last year? Has he suddenly come out of the clouds this year? Did he not get to play any footy last year with Covid?
Full list of 2020 AFL draft nominated players - post 2

1018 nominations and 106 picked up (59 ND, 26 rookies, 9 CatB, 12 PSSSP).

mtbkym

All Australian
Jun 5, 2016
South
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Chelsea, Canucks, Cubbies
Plays in defence, but looks very attacking, future midfield role maybe/hopefully

UcantCme

Premiership Player
Mar 3, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm pretty happy with this selection. There was heaps of talk about Vic kids who missed the draft who would put their hand up this year, looks like we got one.

- only 19
- above average kicking skills
- speed
- great decision maker
- hardness
- attacking play maker

Feels like we just got early, free access to a kid we would have liked in the national draft.
Apparently he is better than an average kick

He is an elite kick on both sides of the body

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

WeeBlake

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
hopefully he can put a bit of pressure on Luke Brown. Brown has always been a good stopper but (despite his pre-draft highlights tape) never offered much dash

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.
No I realise know very little about Patrick but just don't understand it why picked another small slight player when already over loaded with .
Also seemed like a good year with last season Vic COVID no games to have a free shot at some real prospects , so don't know why only 1 pick .
I’ve always been critical of the crows visibly copying team and game styles of other clubs after they have been successful. Copying but not being the originator like going for good kicks like Hawthorn a few years ago or tenacious small like Richmond. Maybe this is us developing a team with our stamp, build of scrawny, short, back men. It’s worth a shot.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Well I can't say I would have called it, but more then happy to check this kid out. From the wraps and footage he certainly has some AFL level traits, my only concern is how long it will take him to put it into a AFL ready physique.

I'm assuming we took him on an 18 month contract right?

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Apparently he is better than an average kick

He is an elite kick on both sides of the body

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
It’s not apparently, you actually see him do a sweet left-foot pass on the last kick of the highlights video on page 1 of this thread. He has the potential kicking ability of someone like Sholl looking at the highlights.

Both similar in appearance and style, I get a Lachie Neale vibe with this guy. Also I can see him as a potential midfielder/wingman, he has the weapons to distribute it to our forward line.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Well I can't say I would have called it, but more then happy to check this kid out. From the wraps and footage he certainly has some AFL level traits, my only concern is how long it will take him to put it into a AFL ready physique.

I'm assuming we took him on an 18 month contract right?
You’d think at least 18 months. No way is he slotting in the AFL side this year, barring some major catastrophe with injuries to the smalls brigade.

Oct 8, 2004
Woodside
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Eagles(SANFL)
Our movement of the ball from defence has been a huge issue the last few years. If he’s somewhere in the Sholl style of player, on both feet, we could sure use him bringing the ball from half back. Hopefully he is clean with his hands like Sholl and not fumbly like Hammil. Good luck to him.

You’d think at least 18 months. No way is he slotting in the AFL side this year, barring some major catastrophe with injuries to the smalls brigade.

He probably isn't, however don't sleep on an outside player who is quick and has good skills quickly rising up the ranks. Especially if he's hard at it.

There is certainly a pathway this year, albeit its very unlikely. Would need to start laying waste to the SANFL within the next month to have a shot.

StickerMan

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Norwood,

From Hamish's comments it would indicate that there was some concerns in his 17 year that he was very slight and 'was a different player'. With no footy in VIC last year they could only go on the vision from his 17 year and by Hamish's comments he has come on leaps and bounds and is hitting big numbers in 2021 with sweet skills.

Nicksy's game plan is about speed of ball movement and taking the game on, which this kid seems to suit, so would be an amazing result if he turns out to be a decent player, for what is essentially a free hit.

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Highlights look okay, but looks like he needs 2 years in the gym.
Maybe 3 or 4 :think::grin:.
Another skinny, pale kid (needs some sunshine too! :sneaky: ).
Highlights show that he kicks and handballs to advantage (ie to space, not at the player), can mark overhead, high DE.

But: 178 cms. (he's 19, still growing?), same height as Tyson Edwards, and imo the Crows really need big-bodied, skilful mids.

I hope he turns out well and has a long, successful career with the Crows.

ltdamn

Premiership Player
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg, Seahawks, Mariners, Celtic
Seems to suit the Nicks game style so at least we are picking to spec these days. Will hold my judgement on him until I have seen him do a bit in the SANFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back