Player Watch Patrick Parnell - Contract Extension To End of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd love to know what pick he would have been taken this year in the national draft.
The way he was tearing it up for the Bushies with his speed, dare and immaculate foot skills I would think mid 2nd round at the latest especially factoring in his upside.

I don't think it's out of the question. I can see he and Gollant getting a game.

Cook probably coming from further back than Pedlar fitness wise so he would be unlikely.
Cook is for next year..let him finish out the season and get his continuity of games and then put in a big preseason. He is most definately one to watch for next year.

Not sure he gets a game but Cook had shoulder issues. He was probably able to still do the cardio aspect of pre-season. Pedlar had groin issues.
Big difference is Pedlar has come through an elite school program (PAC) and the Bays SANFL junior system whereas Cook was playing local junior footy for Happy Valley and being a late bloomer never entered the Panthers system until his draft year...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big difference is Pedlar has come through an elite school program (PAC) and the Bays SANFL junior system whereas Cook was playing local junior footy for Happy Valley and being a late bloomer never entered the Panthers system until his draft year...

Fair call but Cook doesn't seem to be having trouble running games out in the SANFL where as with Pedlar, you could clearly see he was often gassed at half time. I'm hoping Cook gets a taster in the back end of this season. Even 1 or 2 games would be pretty handy for his development.

Fair stab at local footy there Bicks.

Are you seriously inferring that Happy Valley junior footy is anywhere near the level of Private school footy or SANFL U18's football?
I thought you were smarter than that.
Happy Valley have a pretty good junior program, your comment was needless.

Happy Valley have a pretty good junior program, your comment was needless.
Yeah and any kid showing big promise at Happy Valley or any other local junior footy in the Panthers zone would have been scouted by the Panthers junior development team from U13's onwards and have been invited into their development squads.

Much the same as lads like Fogarty, Pedlar, and numerous other country lads that get taken on by the Private Schools not because of their scholarly pursuits but because of their sporting abilities.

At risk of getting in between warring parties - I didn’t read the comments of Muineer (or Bicks? - not sure) as an insult but just an observation. If a kid like Cook gets into the SANFL system from U13 the demands are a bit higher - although not really until U15.

By U15 the boys are running their 2k and expected to be at least under 8 minutes as a start. U16 they are returning sub 7 minutes, and with the short season, the best are already pushing into U18 games (see Jack Delean as an example). Also with South I know for a fact they start camps with combine testing at U15 too. All I read in those comments is that the boy Cook’s fitness may not be as developed as your average kid at Happy Valley which I think would be true. That’s not a crack at HV - they are a community club catering for all

while none of us want to admit the private school system gives boys an advantage it’s hard to argue against. Their football programs have massive budgets - especially the big 4 footy schools - Sacred Heart, Rostrevor, Saints and PAC. I think the same happens in Vic. The standard of competition is very high and kids develop accordingly. There are many I know of who see school and SANFL development squad as enough - no need for club.

Anyway enough from me - I just wanted to add that I think these are just factual observations rather than insults.

Are you seriously inferring that Happy Valley junior footy is anywhere near the level of Private school footy or SANFL U18's football?
I thought you were smarter than that.

He only went to PAC for year 11 and 12. Played barely over a dozen games.

Learnt more at Kingston SE and Kingston Saints than PAC.

Don't let the wankfest on FNF confuse you.

Would have thought how Cook is running games out right now would take precedence over his junior footy. He ran the game out well last week. Seemed to get better as the game wore on.
His improvement from his first couple of SANFL games back has been massive

Remove this Banner Ad

Back