Player Watch Jake Soligo - Re-Signed to End of 2029

Why would we draft Rowe so early only last year (2nd round?) for him to toil in the SANFL?

I'm not his biggest fan but you'd hope he has some improvement in him to become an AFL quality player.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It was our fifth pick in that draft (and the draft would end in the next 20 picks), so it's not particularly early.

Seems like by that point, we were looking purely at needs and Rowe fit that bill. There is certainly an element to this draft that indicates we're not particularly happy with how Rowe progressed.

May 20, 2001
Kufa, Iraq
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Banhammer Big House Under 70s
Why would we draft Rowe so early only last year (2nd round?) for him to toil in the SANFL?

I'm not his biggest fan but you'd hope he has some improvement in him to become an AFL quality player.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
He could improve by losing a few kilos from his boof head.

FullyBigKPro

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 14, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Jimmy Rowe and Murph would be shaking in their boots

What I like is this signifies a real culture emerging where we want a hungry group of young talented players with competition for spots.

Nicks has seen we lack speed, pressure forward, gut running types that have SKILL.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
It was our fifth pick in that draft (and the draft would end in the next 20 picks), so it's not particularly early.

Seems like by that point, we were looking purely at needs and Rowe fit that bill. There is certainly an element to this draft that indicates we're not particularly happy with how Rowe progressed.
Probably a few things, Rowey falling away late in the year being amongst them.

His (and Gollants) game against the Eagles late in the year when the team got smacked (again) shows he's far too good for SANFL level. He's got as much footy smarts as anyone on the list, but that might not be enough to save him unless he can make the jump.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

STRENGTHS:

+ Work rate
+ Accumulation
+ Clean hands
+ Agility
+ Kick penetration

IMPROVEMENTS:

+ Kick consistency
+ Hurt factor

looking at the improvements, he's perfect candidate to replace any of our primary 4 mids. And kick penetration is perfect for our patented high and long forward 50 entry system. And they say you don't draft for needs.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Makes sense, it's a nice change from previous years where we had the crouch brothers stuck in the middle for 90% of the game as they can't play anywhere else.

You mean it will be a nice change when it happens. We didn't deviate from the 4 man midfield strategy this year, so it hasn't happened yet. Hopefully with full preseasons into Berry, Pedlar and Hately plus further progression from Ned, we'll see some sign of a change in midfield strategy. But we've not seen it yet.

Ticktak

All Australian
Nov 14, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg FC, Canucks, Seahawks
Moves and kicks like Hayden Ballantyne.

Crowfoot

All Australian
Jul 1, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Welcome aboard Jake. According to the NOB League getting to know clips the player he "moulds his game on" and "looks up to" is Rory Sloane. Works for me.

Jul 26, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Torrens... I mean WWT
A bit concerning when he said this about Adelaide "looking forward to seeing what it is like and living there for a bit" Does not sound convincing of him wanting to stay for the long term, but hopefully he plays well and gives us plenty of joy as Crows supporters.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
A bit concerning when he said this about Adelaide "looking forward to seeing what it is like and living there for a bit" Does not sound convincing of him wanting to stay for the long term, but hopefully he plays well and gives us plenty of joy as Crows supporters.
Would no doubt be daunting.

I suspect he hasn't done much media either.

Apr 1, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Kilkenny Cats, WWT Eagles
A very, very ordinary thing for a young draftee to say. But agree with hey shorty that he will be very green and having never even visited Adelaide before you never know, he may like it, and enjoy playing for the Crows.

"Looking forward to seeing what it is like and living there for a bit" sure sounds like he'll be checking things out and getting out asap.

You would reckon the club does some due diligence on these kids, maybe it's just inexperience with media, but maybe he said what he is thinking?

I like the selections and what Jake and Zac bring as players. Both Josh Rachele and Zac appear stoked to have been drafted by us, and from a talent perspective both I reckon rate higher than Jake. So it's disappointing that he appears less enthused and would say this in an interview.

Time will tell I suppose. But we really want players who want to be at the club.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
A very, very ordinary thing for a young draftee to say. But agree with hey shorty that he will be very green and having never even visited Adelaide before you never know, he may like it, and enjoy playing for the Crows.

"Looking forward to seeing what it is like and living there for a bit" sure sounds like he'll be checking things out and getting out asap.

You would reckon the club does some due diligence on these kids, maybe it's just inexperience with media, but maybe he said what he is thinking?

I like the selections and what Jake and Zac bring as players. Both Josh Rachele and Zac appear stoked to have been drafted by us, and from a talent perspective both I reckon rate higher than Jake. So it's disappointing that he appears less enthused and would say this in an interview.

Time will tell I suppose. But we really want players who want to be at the club.
Geez folks calm the farm I've listened to the interview and firmly believe it was just what came out without any thought it would be misconstrued by folk looking for an excuse to doubt his long term retention.

Apr 1, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Kilkenny Cats, WWT Eagles
God people wet the bed easily these days.

A bit could be 5 years, 10 maybe.... That's a bit of his life
I'm not "wetting the bed". And when you are 18 "a bit" isn't 5-10 years.

There's been players devastated to be drafted by us that stayed long term like Radar, and others that made bold statements about being here long term like Lever.

So there's no "bed wetting", it's just an ordinary thing of a new draftee to say.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
I'm not "wetting the bed". And when you are 18 "a bit" isn't 5-10 years.

There's been players devastated to be drafted by us that stayed long term like Radar, and others that made bold statements about being here long term like Lever.

So there's no "bed wetting", it's just an ordinary thing of a new draftee to say.
He did say in one of his interviews that we were one of the clubs he thought showed interest and that he had an inkling he was a chance to go to us so I think he had his head pretty much around it. Also helpful that he's already a close mate of fellow draftee Zac Taylor.

Back