AFL Club
Adelaide

WeeBlake

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
If we want to be truly revolutionary, we also need to get Caleb Daniel as a FA next year

Dec 18, 2007
Arcadia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks
This is a fantastic pick. Elite kicks were rightly a huge target for us this offseason. We have added 3 of the best kicks in the country in Dawson, Rachele and Taylor. Taylor can play on a forward flank or a wing, with bursts on the inside, with a view to potentially becoming a full time mid in a few years time once Laird is out of there. Welcome Zac.

Don't forget Parnell, deadly kick.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Given how Nicks seems to want us to attack in "waves", the smaller size is probably less of an issue for Nicks too. Think back to the Round 1 game against Geelong, 1 guy attacks the ball carrier, then two more waves move in to try and cause the turnover. Like one I remember was just guys like McHenry, Sloane, Berry and Seedsman, you're just sending so many bodies in that the size isn't as important cause it's not a 1-1 battle.

Pure athletic ability and size isn't as big of a priority than having guys who have good defensive skills, can pressure, run all day (which is where Burgess coming in to help with repeat efforts could be huge), ground ball ability (to win the ball once we cause the ball carrier to lose it) and then skills to capitalize. Definitely adding a "power and speed" guy to that mix would be huge, but I can understand that not being there by picks in the 40's too.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Given how Nicks seems to want us to attack in "waves", the smaller size is probably less of an issue for Nicks too. Think back to the Round 1 game against Geelong, 1 guy attacks the ball carrier, then two more waves move in to try and cause the turnover. Like one I remember was just guys like McHenry, Sloane, Berry and Seedsman, you're just sending so many bodies in that the size isn't as important cause it's not a 1-1 battle.

Pure athletic ability and size isn't as big of a priority than having guys who have good defensive skills, can pressure, run all day (which is where Burgess coming in to help with repeat efforts could be huge), ground ball ability (to win the ball once we cause the ball carrier to lose it) and then skills to capitalize. Definitely adding a "power and speed" guy to that mix would be huge, but I can understand that not being there by picks in the 40's too.

Agree with this and supports the exercise I did the other day, where we are in fact a tall list ...with the marking strength on the wings / flanks .....with speed & agility thru the mids ....a different approach, maybe somewhat influenced by the "stand" rule

Last year Paddy Cripps as that tall mid, really struggled with the pace thru the corridor ......also remembering that ball-ups were down, tackles were down ....so does all these rule changes influence the makeup of the midfield going forward ?

Stoppages, tackling down, leaving radical AFL rule changes ...
https://www.theage.com.au › Sport › AFL › AFL 2021

4 days ago — A drop in contested possessions, tackles and stoppages has backed Brad ... The average combined numbers of throw-ins and ball-ups per game .

Thought I'd do a height exercise to see where we sat from a height perspective .....we have a lot of height / marking power .....and a talent list when you analyse, that says 2022 we will be knocking on the door of the eight

F .... McHenry (179) - Walker (193) - MCadam (181)

HF ....Cook (189) - Fogarty (193) - Thilthorpe (200)

C Seedsman (190) - Keays (185) - Dawson (192)

HB ....Doedee (188) - McAsey (195) - Hamill (186)

B .....Brown (181) - Butts (198) - Murray (193)

R ....ROB (202) - Schoenberg (180) - Laird (177)

Bench; Milera (184) - Pedlar (183) - Sloane (182) - Smith (189)

Emerg; Crouch (182) Jones (180) Berry (181) Gollant (189) Frampton (200) Himmelberg (198) Hinge (189) Worrell (195)

It's interesting looking at BRIS's build ....their 2 best Mids (Neale 177) & Lyons (184) were traded in NOT drafted
There other mids are Zorko (175), McLuggaage (187) Bailey (182)

So it appears we're modelling midfield speed - 2way running - surrounded by marking power, they can feed off

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Agree with this and supports the exercise I did the other day, where we are in fact a tall list ...with the marking strength on the wings / flanks .....with speed & agility thru the mids ....a different approach, maybe somewhat influenced by the "stand" rule

Last year Paddy Cripps as that tall mid, really struggled with the pace thru the corridor ......also remembering that ball-ups were down, tackles were down ....so does all these rule changes influence the makeup of the midfield going forward ?

4 days ago — A drop in contested possessions, tackles and stoppages has backed Brad ... The average combined numbers of throw-ins and ball-ups per game .
I reckon it'll work with our ball movement through the corridor too. Watching the training clips they posted yesterday with the handball drills, I can imagine the possibility of moving the ball through the middle of the ground in waves where we have runners either side of the ball holder that can be there for the handball receive. The stand rule makes that really important too because you want runners moving, have those tall guys on the flank/wings mark the ball then you're still sending waves past to support, take a handball, quick kick receive and keep moving while the defender may still be stuck on the mark.

hendo8888

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide 36ers

Have you given up on Sholl/Rowe/McPherson/Murphy?

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Have you given up on Sholl/Rowe/McPherson/Murphy?
It's difficult to fit them in when all available and playing to their potential .....McPherson unfortunately hasn't come on, but he maybe Brown's replacement going forward .....Hamill offers great rebound off HB

Just don't see those 4 in our best 22 with Crouch, Milera back, and Dawson coming in

Back