Player Watch Josh Rachele - Re-Signed to End of 2029

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Compare to Rowe, who I'm not convinced will make it..
6.8 kicks, 6.6 handballs, 2.3 marks, 0.8 goals, 1.9 tackles

Edit - I see you did the comparison later.
We didn't pay a mid 1st round pick for James Rowe which has been suggested here we give for Rankine,,

We didn't pay a mid 1st round pick for James Rowe which has been suggested here we give for Rankine,,
Exactly!

Rankine at this point in time is not worth a 1st rounder.

He is nowhere Dawson level.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
What’s your knock on Nicks?
My take on Nicks is mixed. He's been great from a club culture perspective. I just haven't enjoyed actually watching us play under him. I'm not sure if it's a game plan thing or just the rough edges you get when you have a young team. Just hasn't clicked for me yet but I'll try to be patient.

George Kramer

Premium Platinum
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
My take on Nicks is mixed. He's been great from a club culture perspective. I just haven't enjoyed actually watching us play under him. I'm not sure if it's a game plan thing or just the rough edges you get when you have a young team. Just hasn't clicked for me yet but I'll try to be patient.
He’s had some issues along the way but he’s really an unknown in terms of what he can do with a decent side. There’s enough talent and experience in the coaching group that you’d hope combined once we’ve developed they’d be ok.

I haven’t mind the way we’ve played, given our young side he could have gone super defensive to limit floggings, the only time he tried that was against Essendon and we got flogged anyway. Overall we’ve been competitive and apart from the odd game not embarrassed. Plus we’ve taken some decent scalps.

A long winded way of getting there but we just don’t know if he’s a decent tactical coach yet, one way or the other, but we know he’s been great for culture of the place and the players have bought in, which we needed. Just remember how ****ed this club was, we are turning it around.

MarcusP2

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Odd hill to die on considering your badgering for Fischer McAsey to be gifted a Rd 1 spot, who himself is a reserves footballer in the fourth worst side in the AFL.
I don't see him suggesting Fisher would be worth a second rounder in a trade though? If we had Rankine already maybe he'd want to play him too.

On Pixel 5 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
I knew he was going to be a star when I saw him play against Rostrevor, I know talent :)
Faith doesn't rate him...
1638755183251.png

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
He's downplaying Rankine for the same reason he's doing the opposite for McAsey
I'm not doing anything for anything.

If someone wanted McAsey, he'd be worth a second round pick, similar to Rankine.

Even though talls take longer and McAsey is younger, he's not worth more than Rankine.

Dec 14, 2002
who cares
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
Luko over Rankine would be my play.
Luko would be a safer get no doubt however, no one can tell me with any certainty what position he would play for us and who would he replace?

I think in terms of pure need for us, Rankine fits the bill. However, I have always had this uneasy feeling about Rankine's commitment. I have never questioned his talent but I have some reservations around the other stuff. At the time of the draft there was some talk that for him it would be better if he was drafted away from SA to escape some of his off-field influences.

If he comes back, will those influences still be there? Are we going to get a similar result (not necessarily for the same thing) as we had with Stengle?

If it comes off, then Rankine is clearly the type of player we need, however, I am not convinced that it will come off. I am certainly willing to give it a go if the price is right. Once thing is for certain, he wouldn't want to have another year like he did in 2021 as that would greatly diminish his value both in terms of trade and contact value. GC probably still jumps at shadows and offers him a mammoth contract to stay.

With Luko, I have another reservation. Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane comes to mind to me. He should be a prototype CHF of the modern era but he is not. Has been played as HBF, a sweeper which is the easiest position to play on the field. Can he transition to a genuine key position player? Is he really the new version of Westhoff? Are you better off spending your trade currency and your salary cap on someone else that better addresses your real need? Does recruiting Dawson mean that our interest in Luko has disappeared? If Luko was not a South Australian, would we have any interested in? I am not sure that we would to be honest and I am certainly not in favour of recruiting someone just because they are local.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
If Luko was not a South Australian, would we have any interested in? I am not sure that we would to be honest and I am certainly not in favour of recruiting someone just because they are local.
This is the KEY POINT ......seems we overrate Sth Australians, why ....I have no idea

As you say, if he wasn't from SA, no-one would be even discussing him

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
I kind of hope players don't come here. Would be a great way to destroy their self confidence.

Imagine if Dmac took a peek at Bigfooty.

giphy.gif
Oh definitely

Wouldn't be a good idea

I have two mates who work at Melbourne (not players) and a condition of employment was to cancel their big footy accts so imagine the same for players

Back