Player Watch Josh Rachele - Re-Signed to End of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

UcantCme

Premiership Player
Mar 3, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm still hopeful he can turn into a midfielder, or at least someone who has stints in there. Yes, he's a small, but he's not that small. At 180cm he won't be out of place compared to our other mids (Laird 177cm, Schoenberg 180cm, Berry 181cm, Sloane 182cm, Crouch 182cm, Pedlar 183cm, Keays 185cm).

He's actually listed at the exact same height and weight as Schoenberg.
You would think that this was part of the appeal as that's the role he has played a junior level

A quality forward that can go into the midfield and impact

He just looks classy around the footy, he seems to have that good arrogance and believes in his ability

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

jbanger

Premium Platinum
Aug 31, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
First impression looks and sounds like a ripper of a kid, down to earth and seemed genuinely pumped to be selected by us. Excited to see this one bloom.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
You would think that this was part of the appeal as that's the role he has played a junior level

A quality forward that can go into the midfield and impact

He just looks classy around the footy, he seems to have that good arrogance and believes in his ability

I think from seeing the highlights, he seems to be a capable player with all-round skills. The highlights of him kicking a 60m goal on his right, and a goal on his left from an acute angle near the boundary, I reckon he’s already good enough to play right from round 1 next year. Looks like a tougher Stengle, talent-wise.

Also love his enthusiasm of being now in the AFL system. Good get!

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Apparently boards so is used to being away from home already.

On this point, I remember in an interview him saying that he was expecting to go interstate. Realistically he was probably either going to Freo, GWS, Gold Coast or us.

For a country Vic boy, Adelaide probably feels a lot closer to home than any of those options other than maybe GWS, which the bonus of being a genuine footy city.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
On this point, I remember in an interview him saying that he was expecting to go interstate. Realistically he was probably either going to Freo, GWS, Gold Coast or us.

For a country Vic boy, Adelaide probably feels a lot closer to home than any of those options other than maybe GWS, which the bonus of being a genuine footy city.
Poor bugger has had 18 months of covid restrictions, Vic finally opens completely up and he comes to SA.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Spent last night calibrating new oled and forgot about the draft.

This kid looks like a gun. Rowe and Newchurch will be well and truly under the pump now.

DroppingTheBall

All Australian
Jul 12, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
When I saw this:-
F3E443CE-F29B-4EB4-AA2E-C65E4BB26043.jpeg

I thought WOW.

Elite/Elite/Elite/Elite/Elite

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
I liked that he measured as Elite in every category.

Edit: snap!

Oct 1, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NFC AUFC MUFC Socceroos
Looks better on his left than Murphy*

*I like a lot of what Murphy does, just not his kicking

Would be a result of his soccer background (I know, I know) but it's a realistic point, kids playing soccer are drilled into them early on use both feet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta

Adelaide national recruiting manager Hamish Ogilvie told News Corp the club was able to address a list need and take who it considered the best available talent.
“He’s exciting and he’s kicked some difficult goals,” Ogilvie said.
“He’s good on the ground and in the air.
“He was a player we’d identified, clearly, and we’re rapt to get him in.”
Ogilvie said although many Victorian prospects had missed so much football due to consecutive Covid-impacted seasons, the club had seen enough from Rachele’s 13 games to have confidence it was making the right call.
Rachele kicked six goals in a NAB League match this past season against Northern Knights but played on the ball in 2019.
That year, he claimed the Kevin Sheehan Medal as the best player in Division 1 of the under-16 national championships.
“He’s a genuine two-position player,” Ogilvie said.
Two other things about Rachele stood out to the Crows’ recruiting boss.
Playing for Caulfield Grammar against Brighton Grammar, he protected his younger teammates when they came under fire from the opposition.
The 18-year-old had also got his hands dirty, working on his family’s orchard, near Shepparton.
“He’s a fun kid, he’s mature, he’s worldly,” Ogilvie said.
“He’s been out on the orchard from 10, 12 years of age out in the sun … so he knows what hard work looks like.”

Ogilvie said Rachele would back himself in to debut next season but the club would need to help get him physically ready due to his lack of football the past two years.
Betts helped bring supporters through the gates at Adelaide Oval during his 132-game career in the tricolours from 2014-19 and Rachele had the potential to also become a fan favourite.

Fox Footy’s David King said the Crows were recruiting a lot of spunk.
“You get the ultimate finisher,” King said.

“I think this is a great selection.

“He’ll bring a lot of pizzazz … particularly in their forward 50.

“Think Toby Greene, think Cody Weightman, that’s what they’ve got tonight.”

WeeBlake

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
The main thing is to remember his soccer background. Also that he had a deal with Melbourne City, to play soccer. In relation to his obvious aptitude for marking, we should bear in mind that until a couple of years ago, he was playing soccer. Soccer is a game that involves skill, and also moving in different directions quickly, so compared to other players who grew up playing more static sports like basketball or footy, he’s way in front, having come from a soccer background.

Sep 29, 2007
The Kop
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Socceroos-LFC-Crows-Adel.United
I think Sanders said he moves like Didak and I agree

He looks so classy around the footy, has that mix of class and arrogance

Didak was most dangerous when he mixed his time from playing up forward and in the ball.....

Rachele could be the same

Nothing Like Didak, doesn't surprise me that it came from Sanders though.

LoBu

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I actually think this pock really balances out our list

Berry can bow play more midfield, he doesn't need to play forward and we are not stuck with using the better of either Rowe or Murphy to partner with Ned up forward

The bonus is that both Ned and Rachele can push through the mid that allows mids like Pedlar to push forward as well if needed

This is a great selection

Good take, it does allow our midfield to continue to grow, there is already considerable battle for spots, and we can't forget that Hately can be our 190cm midfield, despite a slow start to his career.

arsene wenger1

Premiership Player
Jul 14, 2009
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I’m not getting carried away at this stage based on our last few smaller type first rounder choices. They always come with massive hype. Hopefully this time however it’s finally warranted

The main thing is to remember his soccer background. Also that he had a deal with Melbourne City, to play soccer. In relation to his obvious aptitude for marking, we should bear in mind that until a couple of years ago, he was playing soccer. Soccer is a game that involves skill, and also moving in different directions quickly, so compared to other players who grew up playing more static sports like basketball or footy, he’s way in front, having come from a soccer background.
Oh, he played soccer did he?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back