Player Watch Josh Rachele - Re-Signed to End of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

OK ...I copped some flack pre-draft with regard my views on Rachelle ....but like any player selected by the Crows, he has my 100% support

It's obvious his U16 form influenced our recruiters more than his rep game performances of 2021 .....as my views were premised on his 2021 games against men and better opposition ....rather than kids

It appears my views have been vindicated by respected draft watchers & people in recruitment .....these are a bit more balanced than the media hype which obviously influenced many POV's

Have a read of the discussion string, which was 2 weeks B4 the Draft, and after my posted comments

The present doesn't dictate the future of course ....however like any junior player coming into the AFL system, they do have weakness's .....although to express them generally brings on criticism you're being too negative on a player

And I do have a lot of faith in Hamish's teams POV's .....they see his strengths outweighing his weakness's

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...42-47-72-77-95.1248361/page-377#post-72880649

Also interesting was Goater's weakness was his aeorobic capacity to play midfield .....sometimes "explosive" players suffer from an aeorobic weakness
We only get top placed testing results ...well, from what I've seen anyway ....so was not an obvious flaw

OK ...I copped some flack pre-draft with regard my views on Rachelle ....but like any player selected by the Crows, he has my 100% support

It's obvious his U16 form influenced our recruiters more than his rep game performances of 2021 .....as my views were premised on his 2021 games against men and better opposition ....rather than kids

It appears my views have been vindicated by respected draft watchers & people in recruitment .....these are a bit more balanced than the media hype which obviously influenced many POV's

Have a read of the discussion string, which was 2 weeks B4 the Draft, and after my posted comments

The present doesn't dictate the future of course ....however like any junior player coming into the AFL system, they do have weakness's .....although to express them generally brings on criticism you're being too negative on a player

And I do have a lot of faith in Hamish's teams POV's .....they see his strengths outweighing his weakness's

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...42-47-72-77-95.1248361/page-377#post-72880649

Also interesting was Goater's weakness was his aeorobic capacity to play midfield .....sometimes "explosive" players suffer from an aeorobic weakness
We only get top placed testing results ...well, from what I've seen anyway ....so was not an obvious flaw
The opinion of a couple of posters have vindicated your opinion? Don’t get the point of your post unless you are seeking premature vindication.

LOL

I'm backing Steve McCrystal and Hamish's experience in talent identification over some indiscriminate Big Footy poster claiming to be an AFL scout of guru status on the North Melbourne Big Footy board.

You made a ridiculous statement that there was no way we'd pick a player like Rachele , own it.

Time will tell if your assessment is on the mark but until then.

Matthew Lloyd had no reason to mention Rachele the other day but offered up his opinion that he was one draftee that really caught his eye this year in his APS games mentioning his hurt factor as a standout attribute.

And for the record he wouldn't have been on top of my list either but for some reason only known to you you took a set against him from day one when it appeared he was high on our club's talent board which turned out to be spot on.

Last edited:
LOL

I'm backing Steve McCrystal and Hamish's experience in talent identification over some indiscriminate Big Footy poster claiming to be an AFL scout of guru status on the North Melbourne Big Footy board.

You made a ridiculous statement that there was no way we'd pick a player like Rachele , own it.

Time will tell if your assessment is on the mark but until then.

Matthew Lloyd had no reason to mention Rachele the other day but offered up his opinion that he was one draftee that really caught his eye this year in his APS games mentioning his hurt factor. as a standout attribute.
So is it true then that his sprint time was 3.12 ?

If you're countering the assessment, then happy for you to provide some facts .....I'll always back a poster that objectively puts some facts on a player ....and his wasn't a lone POV

There's a heap of factors that could render that assessment wrong in the longterm .....if you read my post, actually read it, you will see my comments were balanced & I also endorsed Hamish and the team's POV

But remember ....at this time of the year, post draft, every supporter is enarmoured with their Draft picks ......Rowe was a great get remember, 12 months later, and that love has wilted

Take the post for what it is .....some balanced discussion by other posters ....and don't get so offended, there are many POV's that if expressed correctly add something to "reasonable" discussions

Compete confirmation bias on my behalf I'm sure, but I've only seen positive things written about him at this stage. Nothing to suggest he was taken to early.

Is that concerning? Probably.

If you're countering the assessment, then happy for you to provide some facts .....I'll always back a poster that objectively puts some facts on a player ....and his wasn't a lone POV

There's a heap of factors that could render that assessment wrong in the longterm .....if you read my post, actually read it, you will see my comments were balanced & I also endorsed Hamish and the team's POV

But remember ....at this time of the year, post draft, every supporter is enarmoured with their Draft picks ......Rowe was a great get remember, 12 months later, and that love has wilted

Take the post for what it is .....some balanced discussion by other posters ....and don't get so offended, there are many POV's that if expressed correctly add something to "reasonable" discussions
If you want reasonable discussion perhaps don’t try to claim vindication without the kid even having played a game for us ;)

I'm not countering anything, but I'm backing Steve McCrystal and Hamish over some dude claiming to be an AFL scout on a fan based footy site every day and twice on Sundays. You're the one out there searching for vindication not me. I'm quite happy to sit back and see how it plays out, of interest though that Freo and GWS apparently rated him similarly to us on their talent order board. Clearly he was 3rd on our talent board of the players available to us in the open draft.

Compete confirmation bias on my behalf I'm sure, but I've only seen positive things written about him at this stage. Nothing to suggest he was taken to early.

Is that concerning? Probably.
At this point most only see the positives of all a clubs draftees .....we have the next Greene, the next Dangerfield, the next Pendlebery

We know that 60% of those wonderful draftees will fail ......a player we simply had to Draft in Will Gould, hasn't played an AFL game yet in his first 2 years .....the pre-draft anlaysis of Dylan Stephans & Lukosious also proving to have some vailidity, although any criticism of a St Aust player pre-draft is met with fierce defense by posters

Roberts and Draper were top 10 locks 3 months ago ....apparently we had to find a 2nd top 10 pick to get both players ??? ......the competition saw it differently

I love player discussions ....love looking at a range of POV's on a player ...I actually seek out those with a different analytical take, rather than the fandom comments

I really enjoyed Souuups take on many of the draftees

At this point most only see the positives of all a clubs draftees .....we have the next Greene, the next Dangerfield, the next Pendlebery

We know that 60% of those wonderful draftees will fail ......a player we simply had to Draft in Will Gould, hasn't played an AFL game yet in his first 2 years .....the pre-draft anlaysis of Dylan Stephans & Lukosious also proving to have some vailidity, although any criticism of a St Aust player pre-draft is met with fierce defense by posters

Roberts and Draper were top 10 locks 3 months ago ....apparently we had to find a 2nd top 10 pick to get both players ??? ......the competition saw it differently

I love player discussions ....love looking at a range of POV's on a player ...I actually seek out those with a different analytical take, rather than the fandom comments

I really enjoyed Souuups take on many of the draftees
The point is that is too early to say which of the 60% of new draftees will fail as they haven't even played a game yet!

There won't be any vindication of anyone's views for a couple of years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

End of the day these guys are prospects and there are many variables after they're drafted. Hamish's record in the first round can only feed any doubts people may have. The only knocks on Rachele were his tank (not hard to fix at AFL level) and low improvement relative to peers since 16s, where we hope this trend goes in the other direction. Everything else about him looks fantastic - clean, quick, great skills, finishing. Comes across as a good lad with some confidence which is great.

Reality is a load of the draftees won't make it.

Something doesn't sit right with people almost immediately death riding them so they can be vindicated in their views.

We've seen posters in the past do this and think they are smarter than everyone else, they're not.

Most people are happy to watch it play out and aren't looking at scoring internet points on the back of a young guy not making it.

Reality is a load of the draftees won't make it.

Something doesn't sit right with people almost immediately death riding them so they can be vindicated in their views.

We've seen posters in the past do this and think they are smarter than everyone else, they're not.

Most people are happy to watch it play out and aren't looking at scoring internet points on the back of a young guy not making it.

Classic internet points fishing post

Its all part of Kenny's game plane, Dixon to drop all the marks even if unopposed, so that the small forwards get an opportunity to get a disposal.

#portlogic
The funny part is, this is true. Whenever they talk about Dixon, its always "he puts up a contest".

He's likely one of their best paid players, and is used as a beacon to bring the ball to the ground.

The funny part is, this is true. Whenever they talk about Dixon, its always "he puts up a contest".

He's likely one of their best paid players, and is used as a beacon to bring the ball to the ground.
Lowering the bar of expectation to match his output level

We do the same with some of our players:
He goes in hard... plays his role... applies heaps of pressure... covers lots of ground

Does he make any significant quality contributions towards winning though?

Well, no. That's someone else's role. They can't all be stars. Something, something Aaron Keating

Under normal circumstances, a player seeming to have their development drop off somewhat in their draft year would be more of a concern. I'm not convinced it is so much when said player has had an extremely disrupted previous 2 years having barely played which would obviously cause a slowing down of their improvement, it's something that effected most of the Victorian draftees.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back