Player Watch Josh Rachele - Re-Signed to End of 2029

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Eddie really was the last player we had with genuine X factor. If Rachelle has half the class he had, we're an extremely lucky club. And from the admittedly few things we know of him, it seems like he does.
Charlie Cameron also had X factor. Unfortunately he didn't want to display it here.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
I mean, in the case of Krakouer, the Suns had free reign to poach an uncontracted player from each club in the AFL. Presumably Krakouer was just the best available option at Port and they figured, why not. Got a few games out of him while they were getting established, and then let him go.

With Atkins, they went out of their way to woo him over with a mammoth deal. I'll admit to being a bit of an Atkins fan, but the offer they made him was absolutely ludicrous.

Most of us (including me) thought we got a decent return despite not wanting to lose him. It ain’t looking so good with Fogarty at this point.

Pick 13 wasn't looking too bad, return wise. I also don't feel too particularly confident in saying that we, in the state we were in, could have done better than Fogarty though. After all, we did pick up someone who was the finished product (more or less), and I highly doubt our club would have done well with anyone who needed time seeing how we imploded.

Nov 5, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Goes to show that from the moment someone is drafted, that their draft position means diddly squat.

Wrong, but its a nice sounding cliche though.

Clubs put significantly more resources into high draftees, they are afforded more liberties and gifted more opportunities. Ya think the club would have let No 71 draft pick Aaron Kite stay in Melbourne in 2008 like they did Patrick Dangerfield?

If you are drafted high it also means a big advantage in getting a 2nd chance at AFL level. s**t, just looking at our club alone do you think we were able to trade away Fergus Watts & John Meesan based on their AFL play or the fact they were 1st round draftees? Do you think delisted players Darren Pfeiffer & James Sellar are given 2nd chances at other clubs for another other reason than they were first round draftees?

Daniel Gorringe survived 6 seasons in the AFL based purely on the fact he was a top 10 pick.

Nov 5, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
He displayed X-factor plenty of times at Adelaide. What he didn't do was play consistent footy.

He did though. He just wasn't afforded the same opportunity to be the guy at Adelaide like he currently is at Brisbane.

Hard to produce consistently when you are the 5th option behind Tex, Betts, Jenkins, Lynch in the forward line.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
Wrong, but its a nice sounding cliche though.

Clubs put significantly more resources into high draftees, they are afforded more liberties and gifted more opportunities. Ya think the club would have let No 71 draft pick Aaron Kite stay in Melbourne in 2008 like they did Patrick Dangerfield?

If you are drafted high it also means a big advantage in getting a 2nd chance at AFL level. sh*t, just looking at our club alone do you think we were able to trade away Fergus Watts & John Meesan based on their AFL play or the fact they were 1st round draftees? Do you think delisted players Darren Pfeiffer & James Sellar are given 2nd chances at other clubs for another other reason than they were first round draftees?

Daniel Gorringe survived 6 seasons in the AFL based purely on the fact he was a top 10 pick.
I disagree. If you prove yourself while you're at your AFL club, you get more opportunities. Not even close to a hard-and-fast rule that higher draft picks get more opportunities and liberties by default. Plenty of examples of such

Gallucci, our first round pick in 2016, spent less years on our list as the guys drafted 51st (EH) and 75th (Davis) in the same draft, and as many years on our list as Poholke. Rookie pick Charlie Cameron got almost as many AFL games in his first year as our first pick (Matt Crouch), while Knight didn't even play. Hell, our top 2 pick, and arguably the most talented prospect to come into the club in years (Thilthorpe), was only our third 2020 draftee to make his debut this year

Sure, there's the occasional example of draftees being played earlier than they should be based on 'hype', but form once you get into the league, both in training and in reserves games, is what mostly counts

Back