Player Watch Josh Rachele - Re-Signed to End of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

I can definitely see at least one side leaving the bottom 5 as there are some pretty vulnerable sides in the league at the moment. Carlton, Saints, Eagles, Geelong, Richmond, Port and even the Dogs could genuinely freefall next year. Stalled teams, old teams and multiple finalists who were on the recieving end of potentially squad destroying losses in the last final series.

Saints aren't vulnerable without a massive run of injuries. Cats, Port and Eagles won't drop that low yet given their home ground advantages. Having a laugh with doggies, that midfield couldn't find its way to 14th if it tried. Carlton and Tigers the only chance, slim though it is. You want a $100 bet at evens to a charity of your choice? Mine would be RSPCA or WWF.

Saints aren't vulnerable without a massive run of injuries. Cats, Port and Eagles won't drop that low yet given their home ground advantages. Having a laugh with doggies, that midfield couldn't find its way to 14th if it tried. Carlton and Tigers the only chance, slim though it is. You want a $100 bet at evens to a charity of your choice? Mine would be RSPCA or WWF.

It's probably worth stating before anything is agreed (as this feels unfair on my part) on that the bottom 5 teams repeating is something that has not happened in modern AFL history (and I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of those statistically anomalous things that only happens once or twice in VFL history). Especially at the most common result in the last decade has been 4 teams repeating (with 2 being the most common result overall in this period). A team has always dropped though, whether it's due to being ****ed with injuries, being mentally broken, deciding it's time to pull the pin and play the kids after a bad run of form, being horrifically mismanaged and having that come to roost or a bottom five team stepping up (ala Lions in 2019, Swans in 2021), and as always, there are plenty of candidates to be ****ed over.

The Bulldogs finished 13th in 2018, two years after winning the flag and with pretty much everyone in this current team.

Golumless or whatever he calls himself hinted at that.
I'm not sure he did as such, but teams who get belted in finals do tend to fall away a bit.

Can't see the Dogs being one of those teams mind you.

Wait, I’ve missed this, is he suggesting Bulldogs are a chance to miss the 8? They aren’t missing the top 4 let alone 8

Are you telling me a team who has not finished top 4 at the end of the minor round in the last decade has no chance of missing the top 4? Reactionary at best, dumb at worst.

Really, all teams have a chance of missing the 8. It really doesn't take much for any team to underperform. Couple of poorly timed injuries, a poor run of form, teams adjusting etc.

I certainly think the Bulldogs could miss the top four.

They didn't even make the top four THIS year, and they've largely under delivered since 2016 IMO.

I think Golumless' point was that there will be a couple of teams that go backwards, and it's never easy to predict who that'll be this far out.

The only way the Bulldogs finish below us is if their best 22 dies in a plane crash

Depends on who is eaten first. :$

MV5BMTczNDYzNjEwMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTY4ODI5._V1_.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you telling me a team who has not finished top 4 at the end of the minor round in the last decade has no chance of missing the top 4? Reactionary at best, dumb at worst.

Really, all teams have a chance of missing the 8. It really doesn't take much for any team to underperform. Couple of poorly timed injuries, a poor run of form, teams adjusting etc.
I would say that teams that are at the top of their game rarely drop outside the 8 and I consider the Bulldogs at the top of their game.

Yes they were thumped in a qtr of the GF but Melbourne arguably played the best 30 mins of grand final football that’s ever been played.

And bringing up a decade of form to predict what might happen next year is dumb if you want to throw that word around. The smarter thing to do would be to look at where they finished, who they’ve lost, who they’ve gained, the age demographic of their current side, not a team that included Bob Murphy.

It's probably worth stating before anything is agreed (as this feels unfair on my part) on that the bottom 5 teams repeating is something that has not happened in modern AFL history (and I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of those statistically anomalous things that only happens once or twice in VFL history). Especially at the most common result in the last decade has been 4 teams repeating (with 2 being the most common result overall in this period). A team has always dropped though, whether it's due to being f’ed with injuries, being mentally broken, deciding it's time to pull the pin and play the kids after a bad run of form, being horrifically mismanaged and having that come to roost or a bottom five team stepping up (ala Lions in 2019, Swans in 2021), and as always, there are plenty of candidates to be f’ed over.

I'm not betting the 5 will all remain, I'm betting that none of the other clubs that you mentioned will finish bottom 5. We on ?

Really looking forward to a few more updates on this kid.

Glad Jimmy has seemingly picked up his game this off-season, but it might all be for moot if this kid balls out!

Seems like a good kid. Seems to have that natural instinctive ability. I'm hoping he will partly fill some of the midfield void we currently have but I think it's more wishful thinking. Will be happy if he becomes that A grade small forward we so desperately need.

Seems like a good kid. Seems to have that natural instinctive ability. I'm hoping he will partly fill some of the midfield void we currently have but I think it's more wishful thinking. Will be happy if he becomes that A grade small forward we so desperately need.

Not sure that an A grade small forward is a need, let alone a desperate one. Outside of Rioli and Hawks flags, I'm struggling to think of a flag that included a career A grade small forward.

Not sure that an A grade small forward is a need, let alone a desperate one. Outside of Rioli and Hawks flags, I'm struggling to think of a flag that included a career A grade small forward.

I agree. His selection was a very big call although he is highly rated. the key now is how he is used and whether that fits with the team structure and game plan. But I think he will prove doubters wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back