Player Watch Josh Rachele - Re-Signed to End of 2029

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's probably worth stating before anything is agreed (as this feels unfair on my part) on that the bottom 5 teams repeating is something that has not happened in modern AFL history (and I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of those statistically anomalous things that only happens once or twice in VFL history). Especially at the most common result in the last decade has been 4 teams repeating (with 2 being the most common result overall in this period). A team has always dropped though, whether it's due to being f’ed with injuries, being mentally broken, deciding it's time to pull the pin and play the kids after a bad run of form, being horrifically mismanaged and having that come to roost or a bottom five team stepping up (ala Lions in 2019, Swans in 2021), and as always, there are plenty of candidates to be f’ed over.

I'm not betting the 5 will all remain, I'm betting that none of the other clubs that you mentioned will finish bottom 5. We on ?

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Really looking forward to a few more updates on this kid.

Glad Jimmy has seemingly picked up his game this off-season, but it might all be for moot if this kid balls out!

Freddie Crow

Draftee
Jan 31, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
Seems like a good kid. Seems to have that natural instinctive ability. I'm hoping he will partly fill some of the midfield void we currently have but I think it's more wishful thinking. Will be happy if he becomes that A grade small forward we so desperately need.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Seems like a good kid. Seems to have that natural instinctive ability. I'm hoping he will partly fill some of the midfield void we currently have but I think it's more wishful thinking. Will be happy if he becomes that A grade small forward we so desperately need.

Not sure that an A grade small forward is a need, let alone a desperate one. Outside of Rioli and Hawks flags, I'm struggling to think of a flag that included a career A grade small forward.

Jun 6, 2010
Viana do Castelo (Portugal)
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not sure that an A grade small forward is a need, let alone a desperate one. Outside of Rioli and Hawks flags, I'm struggling to think of a flag that included a career A grade small forward.

I agree. His selection was a very big call although he is highly rated. the key now is how he is used and whether that fits with the team structure and game plan. But I think he will prove doubters wrong.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
I agree. His selection was a very big call although he is highly rated. the key now is how he is used and whether that fits with the team structure and game plan. But I think he will prove doubters wrong.
Who wouldn't have been a big call at that point?

Everything points to Hamish having taken Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera if Josh Rachele had been off the table at that point.

Surely Wanganeen-Milera who eventually went at pick 11 would have been the bigger call?

Sep 29, 2007
The Kop
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Socceroos-LFC-Crows-Adel.United
Who wouldn't have been a big call at that point?

Everything points to Hamish having taken Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera if Josh Rachele had been off the table at that point.

Surely Wanganeen-Milera who eventually went at pick 11 would have been the bigger call?

None of them were big calls, all about the same level.
Given this I would've taken the SA NWM. But you can't be disappointed with Rochelle.

kick it to me_

Team Captain
Jul 12, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Let's hope he can develop into a midfielder than otherwise we have just wasted another top 10 draft pick.
Hes a mid-fwd that will play as a small fwd until he develops. Let's wait until he's played for a few years before we call this a wasted pick. Early signs are we nailed that pick.

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Freddie Crow

Draftee
Jan 31, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think the most likely outcome will be a quality small forward who can occasionally pinch hit in the midfield. That's okay IMO as having quality small forwards are an important part of building a premiership winning team.

Hopefully the next 2 drafts we are able recruit those 2 A grade midfielders that you also need to win a flag.

Sep 29, 2007
The Kop
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Socceroos-LFC-Crows-Adel.United
I was a but worried with NWM pace, be interesting to see him develop over the next few years.

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Last thing you should be concerned about.

Only concern is his inside game but like Shaun Burgoyne improved as the weight came on.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Let's hope he can develop into a midfielder than otherwise we have just wasted another top 10 draft pick.

That's not true either. He could be as effective as Rioli and be good value at the pick. It's just that an A grade small forward is not a desperate need, that was the only statement made. If he ends up as one, then fine, but that doesn't mean it's a desperate need.

LoBu

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
There is no doubt small forwards help win home and away games in a very impactful way.

The GF is a different beast no doubt, but small forwards can still play a part with pressure and cameos.

If Rachelle gets us into the finals, Pedlar, Fogarty, Jones, Dawson etc may be the ones we need to win a GF.

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jirkago75

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
He looks and moves a bit like Petracca to me, I hope he ends up the same Quality. He will end up as a forward with midfield rotation, hope he with Shoey share in the midfield and rotate to half forward

Back