Player Watch Luke Nankervis - Debut!

Do you think the AFC coaches will pick Luke Nankervis in Round 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Frankly, who cares about third and fourth round picks. As we saw this year, fourth round picks are functionally equivalent to end-of-draft picks, and third round picks aren't much better.

The key thing is we've kept our first two picks. If we have another year like the last two they should net us two very good players.
Although we moved our future 3rd to get taylor..if he turns out a good player for us (looks like we rated really rared him) it was a handy pick to have

Although we moved our future 3rd to get taylor..if he turns out a good player for us (looks like we rated really rared him) it was a handy pick to have

Was unfortunate that the trade with Melbourne and pick 36 was blocked. Given the D’s we’re moving up the board we would have gained an extra pick to compensate us for that third. Instead we just lost a pick

Having said that - really like Taylor and well worth a punt in that mid 40 range

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Is it just me or does this guy resemble Will Hoskin-Elliot a fair bit? Albeit a bit rawer as a player but just his marking, size and athleticism just looks so similar

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too bad we'll only have him for a year. Too good for the SANFL, definitely deserves crack elsewhere at AFL level.
agree but age might be against him - he will be 27 or 28 from memory - not sure AFL clubs will bite. Also Paddy wilson is back next year - couple that with the way the youngsters bought into Mattners gameplan and it bodes well for a flag push maybe

agree but age might be against him - he will be 27 or 28 from memory - not sure AFL clubs will bite. Also Paddy wilson is back next year - couple that with the way the youngsters bought into Mattners gameplan and it bodes well for a flag push maybe
28 next year. He’s a Double Blue for life. The teams looking good for next year

How a junk email nearly cost Crows draftee AFL dream

Having made a name for himself for Bentleigh junior football club in Melbourne’s South Metro Junior Football League, a then 16-year-old Nankervis was unsure why he wasn’t drawing the attention of his local NAB league affiliate Sandringham.

Little did the wingman know, he was well and truly on the Dragons’ radar without him ever knowing.

In an interview with SEN, Nankervis revealed that it was actually an oversight from his end that was costing him opportunities to advance his footballing dream.

“I’ve had a lot more of a harder journey than most others,” Nankervis explained.

“They (Sandringham) sent an email inviting me to under 16s Dragons and it went to my junk mail, which I didn’t use and was full of random emails.

“I’ve always wanted to get into the Dragons, I just didn’t know how and one night I had a dream about it, so I checked my emails and saw that they’d actually invited me to under 16s and it (the email) was sitting in the junk folder.

“It was there from 2018 and I checked it at the start of 2020, it was well over a year.”

Upon realising that the opportunity he’d been hoping for was sitting at his fingertips for more than 12 months, Nankervis keenly replied to the Dragons, explaining the unfortunate situation and asking if he could take up the long-expired offer.

“Basically, I just emailed them back saying what happened and that it went somewhere I didn’t use and that I was really keen to get down and have a train,” he continued.

Having made a name for himself for Bentleigh junior football club in Melbourne’s South Metro Junior Football League, a then 16-year-old Nankervis was unsure why he wasn’t drawing the attention of his local NAB league affiliate Sandringham.

Little did the wingman know, he was well and truly on the Dragons’ radar without him ever knowing.

In an interview with SEN, Nankervis revealed that it was actually an oversight from his end that was costing him opportunities to advance his footballing dream.

“I’ve had a lot more of a harder journey than most others,” Nankervis explained.

“They (Sandringham) sent an email inviting me to under 16s Dragons and it went to my junk mail, which I didn’t use and was full of random emails.

“I’ve always wanted to get into the Dragons, I just didn’t know how and one night I had a dream about it, so I checked my emails and saw that they’d actually invited me to under 16s and it (the email) was sitting in the junk folder.

“It was there from 2018 and I checked it at the start of 2020, it was well over a year.”

Upon realising that the opportunity he’d been hoping for was sitting at his fingertips for more than 12 months, Nankervis keenly replied to the Dragons, explaining the unfortunate situation and asking if he could take up the long-expired offer.

“Basically, I just emailed them back saying what happened and that it went somewhere I didn’t use and that I was really keen to get down and have a train,” he continued.

Ha, what do you know? This prompted me to check my junk folder and there it was. A multimillion dollar gift offer from a widow fan of mine in Nigeria. All I have to do is provide my banking details and pin numbers. What could be more simple? Happy days are here again!

Surely the club would've called him when they didn't get a reply.

surely Sandringham would have contacted his local club too?
The email was probably sent to dozens of kids who the Dragons thought were a maybe, if they were interested. If Sinn or Callaghan hadn't responded they'd probably have chase up those emails, but clearly not the email to some kid who'd never been in an elite program before.

Ha, what do you know? This prompted me to check my junk folder and there it was. A multimillion dollar gift offer from a widow fan of mine in Nigeria. All I have to do is provide my banking details and pin numbers. What could be more simple? Happy days are here again!
Hang on..not sure i believe you as there was no reference whatsoever to western union money transfer in your tale ;)

Back