Player Watch Aliir Aliir

David King on Aliir

“There’s something special about this guy. You see him do things and go ‘wow’, can you see him do it three times a fortnight, six, ten? I know this might sound crazy, but he’s got the potential to be an All-Australian type centre-half back slash ruckman,” King said.

“He’s a different talent. I really like this selection, it gives you more than coverage ... he can pinch-hit forward, he can certainly play centre half-back and what he does do he does at speed. He marks the ball and he’s gone, he creates scores.

“The Swans have given him very strong parameters to work in, no risk football. I think we’ll see the real Aliir Aliir at Port Adelaide.”

Smithy7

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 1, 2014
South of Scotland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
David King on Aliir

“There’s something special about this guy. You see him do things and go ‘wow’, can you see him do it three times a fortnight, six, ten? I know this might sound crazy, but he’s got the potential to be an All-Australian type centre-half back slash ruckman,” King said.

“He’s a different talent. I really like this selection, it gives you more than coverage ... he can pinch-hit forward, he can certainly play centre half-back and what he does do he does at speed. He marks the ball and he’s gone, he creates scores.

“The Swans have given him very strong parameters to work in, no risk football. I think we’ll see the real Aliir Aliir at Port Adelaide.”

I like this bit ...
“They work as a team ... he could be a star at Port Adelaide, I think it’s a great get.” :)

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Might wanna check your footy record there. Bonner is in 26, Watts had 23!

I knew that!

(26 was the number of these WP_Buam_RS-500x500.jpg Jack consumed at Oktoberfest)

From August 2019, tells some of his life story to Neroli Meadows.

Some stuff from his early footy days.

Last edited:
May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
Cant say I'm not disappointed about this.

You also now have the "Aliir" song ("Ole").

Anyway, I wish him all the best and I hope he does well for you.
Here, the Gremio’s version:

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
When I've watched him play he's looked pretty good and I assumed he was a regular 22. Why has he only played 64 games over several years?

He has had his issues with injury and some off field indiscretions. We would have checked this out before making a decision.

This is from 2018,

Aliir Aliir says he is focused on the future and continuing his bid to cement himself in the Swans' side after spending 18 months in the footy wilderness.
Aliir was the feelgood story of Sydney's run to the Grand Final a couple of seasons ago, but a knee injury cost him the chance of playing in the decider, and the next year was ruined by a combination of injuries and an off-field indiscretion.
Coach John Longmire didn't pick the promising youngster after he missed a training session ahead of a round seven clash with Brisbane and dropped him after one appearance in round four this year.
But after an extended run in the NEAFL the athletic rebounding backman earned a recall against West Coast in round 13 and has been outstanding since.
"I'm feeling more confident the more I play and it's just about worrying about what I bring to the team, and what my strengths are," Aliir said.
"With my run and carry, it's about having the confidence to do that week in week out, and at the moment I'm feeling good with that (part of my game)."
Adam Curley for AFL.com.au

Aliir Aliir even rated a mention at a UN conference.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has spoken of the remarkable story of Sydney Swans defender Aliir Aliir at a United Nations conference in New York.
Addressing the Leaders Summit on Refugees at a UN General Assembly meeting convened by US president Barack Obama on Thursday, Turnbull pointed to Aliir as a shining example of the success of the Australia's migrant policy.
"For Aliir, his family and 150,000 other men, women and children, Kakuma refugee camp was their home," Turnbull said in his address.
"The camp provided the bare necessities of food and shelter, but sports equipment was unimaginable. Aliir and his friends would use strips of old clothing as a football.
"He was seven when his family came to Australia. Tall, fast and agile, Aliir was a natural for Australian Rules football and once he took up the game hasn't looked back."

Ben Guthrie for AFL.com.au

Last edited:
May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
Last edited:

ozph1870

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
dallas cowboys ferrari f1
Amazing pick up, for nothing... Are Sydney on drugs...
No more trades... Unless we get treloar.. 😎 But seriously, no more trades needed..

Back