Player Watch Aliir Aliir

Janey It’s embedded into the pic in this tweet from the Swans.

Now that is a classy response unlike others we see often in this state.

This is a bloody great example of how to do it by all parties concerned, including Port.

We've worked well to satisfy Sydney, without blowing the bank, we've worked with the player to sell the vision, Sydney has traded in good faith, given the player their blessings and the player has shown genuine care and respect for his old club and embraced the culture of his new club with gusto.

Port 2004

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2012
Bellevue Heighta
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This is a bloody great example of how to do it by all parties concerned, including Port.

We've worked well to satisfy Sydney, without blowing the bank, we've worked with the player to sell the vision, Sydney has traded in good faith, given the player their blessings and the player has shown genuine care and respect for his old club and embraced the culture of his new club with gusto.
Great post. I think we should be really proud of the way our club does most things. Also a great effort all round as you mention.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
With Martin Frederick signing on, we will have two South Sudanese lads in the squad. Will be really great for both of them. I wonder if they used that as a bit of a pull too for Aliir? They would have known last week that Martin would be given another contract. Aliir doesnt mention it, but it would surely be a pull for an African in a predominantly all-white team having a countryman to play/train alongside, & associate with.

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Dodo bird dislikes this

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
With Martin Frederick signing on, we will have two South Sudanese lads in the squad. Will be really great for both of them. I wonder if they used that as a bit of a pull too for Aliir? They would have known last week that Martin would be given another contract. Aliir doesnt mention it, but it would surely be a pull for an African in a predominantly all-white team having a countryman to play/train alongside, & associate with.
Let's get Ali Carlisle to meet with them and explore ways to get more Sudanese and Pacific Islanders getting interested in Aussie Rules, developing their skillsets, and playing for Port.

Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots
Port Adelaide - The Team for All South Sudanese

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
125003725_1050474228710802_5016063870149980453_n.jpg

If Martin gets on the main list we might have to get his brother Michael back to SA from Freo.

Let's get Ali Carlisle to meet with them and explore ways to get more Sudanese and Pacific Islanders getting interested in Aussie Rules, developing their skillsets, and playing for Port.
In one of his interviews Aliir mentioned that Bobby had been chatting to him about the multicultural programs for a while before the draft, so he's way ahead of us 😉

In one of his interviews Aliir mentioned that Bobby had been chatting to him about the multicultural programs for a while before the draft, so he's way ahead of us 😉
They are both AFL multicultural ambassadors, so they have been doing stuff together on that front for a few years.

With Aliir and possibly Jones and Bergman in the side, I wouldn't worry about individual matchups. If we're at a stage where Cameron or Hawkins are one on one in defence, something has broken down.
You are going to get plenty of one on one's in a game. They are unavoidable.

Hawkins got 6 on Mckenzie in the QF and lucky for us he kicked 0.5. Yes we pushed him wide but those 2 shots at the southern end in the 2nd quarter where very kickable but he panicked and was hopeless with his shots on goal.

6-6-6 means you have to go one on one at centre bounces in defence, a lucky bounce of the ball for the oppo after bounce down means a clearance win for them and very quickly a KPF and KPD are one on one fighting for the ball.

Revan11

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Hawkins got 6 on Mckenzie in the QF and lucky for us he kicked 0.5. Yes we pushed him wide but those 2 shots at the southern end in the 2nd quarter where very kickable but he panicked and was hopeless with his shots on goal.

6-6-6 means you have to go one on one at centre bounces in defence, a lucky bounce of the ball for the oppo after bounce down means a clearance win for them and very quickly a KPF and KPD are one on one fighting for the ball.
Did someone say somewhere that Aliir had the highest one-on-one win % in the league in 2018?

Did someone say somewhere that Aliir had the highest one-on-one win % in the league in 2018?

At the end of the 2018 season, Aliir Aliir had the highest percentage won of one on one contests in the league and was also ranked equal-first for average intercept marks.

Revan11

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

At the end of the 2018 season, Aliir Aliir had the highest percentage won of one on one contests in the league and was also ranked equal-first for average intercept marks.
Excellent.

I loved the interviews with Neroli Meadows, and congratulate Aliir for not going all Austin Powers on her.

It just got me wondering, the reverence that he holds for Majak Daw...could it be that we have plans to throw another lifeline there?

If we’re getting smashed at centre clearances it’s again a failure of something being wrong in a different area of the ground.

I’m not saying one on ones won’t happen, I’m saying if they happen enough that we are losing games because of them something else has gone wrong. The whole mantra is defend to attack.

If we’re getting smashed at centre clearances it’s again a failure of something being wrong in a different area of the ground.

I’m not saying one on ones won’t happen, I’m saying if they happen enough that we are losing games because of them something else has gone wrong. The whole mantra is defend to attack.
The game has ebbs and flows of momentum. That's why I asked the question, do we put Aliir on Cameron or Hawkins? For when you start with 6-6-6 or we are having an ebb momentum period?

Hawkins is the player who can really get hold of us. We pushed him wide at Adelaide Oval and his confidence evaporated as he missed his early shots. He even missed relatively simple shots for him in the end.

If he started getting on top put Aliir there. But if Aliir is going to be an offensive weapon you wouldn't want him starting on Hawkins who is their deep target and would reduce his offensive value.

It does come down to strangling upfield supply though. You would want them to have shallow F50 entries that Aliir could pick off and create from.

Hawkins is the player who can really get hold of us. We pushed him wide at Adelaide Oval and his confidence evaporated as he missed his early shots. He even missed relatively simple shots for him in the end.

If he started getting on top put Aliir there. But if Aliir is going to be an offensive weapon you wouldn't want him starting on Hawkins who is their deep target and would reduce his offensive value.

It does come down to strangling upfield supply though. You would want them to have shallow F50 entries that Aliir could pick off and create from.

Tom Hawkins is a gorilla, in many ways he's a throwback to the old style full forward.

Aliir will be most useful against those tall, quick forwards - Daniher, Hipwood, Lynch, the King brothers, etc.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Hawkins is unique at the moment. He poses a threat to every club. You put your best man on him, and try to nullify his influence. The key is starving him of forward entries, not recruiting a Gorilla to match him.

I think people become overly concerned about him ... He actually doesn't worry me too much.

Guys I get Hawkins is unique. I was answering the specific question posed by REH of which of Hawkins or Cameron does Aliir play on and when.

For me it is Hawkins every time because Cameron doesn't have those special characteristics that make Hawkins so hard to match up on.

But it is only if Hawkins gets hold of us. I wouldn't start Aliir on Hawkins.

Back