Toast Welcome Anthony Scott

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
People were bemoaning us picking a kid called Bontempelli once too. Yes a 25yo VFL player is not the same, but my point is, how about keeping your powder dry until the guy has had a chance to prove himself.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
That’s fair enough. My comments aren’t a criticism of Scott specifically more about our list management and how we are using these top up players. Happy for mods to move.

Last edited:
Just screams again of picking a player because they play for Footscray. Feels like this was decided weeks/months ago as it can’t be due to today.
When he came second in the VAFA comp B&F (to Ayce Cordy!) he was in line for a rookie spot, but was invited to play for Footscray instead.
We've watched him for a few years.

Good luck to the kid, hope he does well but I do see a small crumbing forward (why we passed on Winder I don't know) & KPD as bigger needs.

On a strategic level I don't mind going "best available" at the draft (especially early) then using rookie picks and trades for needs, although
McNeill looks like the 'rookie bolter' we tend to find every couple of years and I've been wrong plenty of times before.

I’m just frustrated that the best our recruiters can come up with is another Footscray player out of the whole available pool. It’s no longer a coincidence with Gowers, Hayes and Gardner preceding. How many other clubs operate this way?
Essendon have picked up a couple, and were set to take Dickson and Tom Campbell until we pounced IIRC.

It seemed to be more fruitful with our Willy alignment days (Picken!) Given Freo's hit with Barlow and Richmond with Kane Lambert (and we do have Cavarra) Williamstown really do have something going on down there.

Jarmaine Jones was set to play for Footscray too until West Coast offered him a rookie spot

Dale4captain

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Yep, I’m disappointed that’s the best the recruiting team came up with. 3 of the 4 players invited we knew like the back of our hand.
Reason being though, is not many others out there have played footy for the last 15 months. At least we've got real proven data on 3/4 of the guys we had as train-ons. I'd rather an educated guess (albeit a low-risk, low reward) than a stupid swing in the dark type pick (that hasn't played footy for a huge amount of time) in the current climate and I dare say that's exactly the club's thoughts.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Reason being though, is not many others out there have played footy for the last 15 months. At least we've got real proven data on 3/4 of the guys we had as train-ons. I'd rather an educated guess (albeit a low-risk, low reward) than a stupid swing in the dark type pick (that hasn't played footy for a huge amount of time) in the current climate and I dare say that's exactly the club's thoughts.
It wouldn’t be a swing in the dark because you have them training with you all summer.
I don’t see what having Scott, McPherson and Raak with us all summer tells us that we didn’t already know.

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Scott had met with Essendon coach rutten after being head hunted by his former coach and and former dogs player Giansiracusa. He then completed a medical before being offered a contract with the bombers. Just the latest effort by the dons to pry a player out of the kennel

This is one of those times where we should've let the player go to the Bombers. May sound harsh, but we don't need another average midfielder. He'd do far better with the Bombers
Well he might actually get a chance to play with the Bombers.
Good luck to him and he's really worked hard for his chance but this sounds a little like Preuss to Melbourne.

Bulldogs85

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
NBA- Houston Rockets
This is one of those times where we should've let the player go to the Bombers. May sound harsh, but we don't need another average midfielder. He'd do far better with the Bombers
Maybe Anthony Scott really wanted to play for us over that crap club Essendon and I don’t think he will play as a midfielder with us

Scott won't be playing any midfield mins unless its in the VFL
He will be a swingman for us, really great forward IQ so be interesting to see how quickly he develops as a defender.

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He will be a swingman for us, really great forward IQ so be interesting to see how quickly he develops as a defender.
The question is why though?
After winning a bf as a small forward/mid for Footscray we upgrade him into the seniors with plans of converting him into a hb, a position we are stacked in. All the while forcing a young up and coming hb in richards to languish in a forward pocket or at vfl

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
After winning a bf as a small forward/mid for Footscray we upgrade him into the seniors with plans of converting him into a hb, a position we are stacked in. All the while forcing a young up and coming hb in richards to languish in a forward pocket or at vfl
Also saw us swing Crozier forward late last year a couple times. Half backs are the last role we need to fill, especially if Duryea isn't playing in the seniors. We just lost Lachie Young due to having too much depth down there. If Scott plays anywhere other than forward, we've grossly wasted this list spot

Bulldogs85

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
NBA- Houston Rockets
Because that’s what Bevo does he converts players in different positions he just can’t help himself. The only one that has really worked is Naughton

I really doubt we picked him up as a defender.
There was an opportunity to learn from one of the best yesterday and Breust schooled him. I hope Scott took notes.

Because that’s what Bevo does he converts players in different positions he just can’t help himself. The only one that has really worked is Naughton
Matty Boyd to defence was brilliant in hindsight.

Why are people acting like the last list spot on your list has any alternate options that all will be resounding success? We recruit from our VFL team because they know their roles and responsibilities.

We're coughing up either the opportunity of recruiting a delisted veteran (Shaun McKernan style) which isn't our style, or taking a punt on a high upside youngster. I'm glad that we're not taking a punt on a high upside youngster because honestly the high probability they're nowhere near it is pretty solid with years of evidence, especially as quality of drafting and recruiting increase and talent slipping through doensvt exist.

If I try to bring up the fact that Gowers was about an average performer for the fact he was the last player in our list, people go mental at me, even though it is statistically true lol

Back