Toast Welcome Anthony Scott

stefoid

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 8, 2002
home
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Scott had met with Essendon coach rutten after being head hunted by his former coach and and former dogs player Giansiracusa. He then completed a medical before being offered a contract with the bombers. Just the latest effort by the dons to pry a player out of the kennel

Revenge for Tinder?

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Why are people acting like the last list spot on your list has any alternate options that all will be resounding success? We recruit from our VFL team because they know their roles and responsibilities.

We're coughing up either the opportunity of recruiting a delisted veteran (Shaun McKernan style) which isn't our style, or taking a punt on a high upside youngster. I'm glad that we're not taking a punt on a high upside youngster because honestly the high probability they're nowhere near it is pretty solid with years of evidence, especially as quality of drafting and recruiting increase and talent slipping through doensvt exist.

If I try to bring up the fact that Gowers was about an average performer for the fact he was the last player in our list, people go mental at me, even though it is statistically true lol

It'd seem more sensible at this point to leave the list spot open, wait until midyear, and see who's knocking the door down at U19s or state leagues.

scooter600x

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2003
Behind the goals, Geelong Rd end
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Why are people acting like the last list spot on your list has any alternate options that all will be resounding success? We recruit from our VFL team because they know their roles and responsibilities.
Every year in the U18s a bunch of kids who were never rated put their hand up in the 2nd half of the year and get drafted early - Bontempelli and Macrae two obvious ones. With no games last year, at draft time no-one knew who these kids were, but I bet they're out there! Whoever has a list spot for the mid-season draft might pick up a beauty.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Every year in the U18s a bunch of kids who were never rated put their hand up in the 2nd half of the year and get drafted early - Bontempelli and Macrae two obvious ones. With no games last year, at draft time no-one knew who these kids were, but I bet they're out there! Whoever has a list spot for the mid-season draft might pick up a beauty.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but unless McLean makes an unexpected comeback we still have a list spot open to grab one of these kids if we want.

It's not just your top end that wins flags....your depth will get you to the last dance and make every player earn their spot. I say give the young man some slack before we write him off as a s**t choice. Nobody selected at this time is likely to be best 22 unless they are picked up by a bottom 6 side. I don't think we should swing for the fences with every selection. Every list spot counts. This looks like a conservative but prudent choice to me.

hazza21

Team Captain
Feb 7, 2008
Germany
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Coz we so desperately need more half backs (sigh)
Midfielders and Small/Medium Defenders are our two/only strengths with heaps of depth. It is absolutely ridiculous to add another...

If he was played half forward I would understand it.

Surely a mature aged KPD (Majak Daw?) or wait for the mid year draft for a player who slipped through the system last year would’ve been a better choice.

It’s nothing against Scott. Just disappointed with the pickup.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
List needs KPD backup. Mature age career forward available. Bevo says - let's draft him for the one definite list spot we have, and play him at HB, because we all know 11 half backs on a list just aren't enough.
Looking forward to the game this year (and it will come) when we line up with Gardner and Scott in defence, Hayes on a wing and Rourke as a defensive forward. This place will M-E-L-T.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
List needs KPD backup. Mature age career forward available. Bevo says - let's draft him for the one definite list spot we have, and play him at HB, because we all know 11 half backs on a list just aren't enough.
Looking forward to the game this year (and it will come) when we line up with Gardner and Scott in defence, Hayes on a wing and Rourke as a defensive forward. This place will M-E-L-T.
The sad thing is it actually will happen. I don’t mind our game style, I know we want to be attacking and move the ball by hand but that completely breaks down when you have average skilled players in the chain. Libba, to Bont, to Dunks, to Hunter works great, then it comes to Jong who panics and stuffs the whole chain up and now everyone’s ran ahead of the ball and the Opp get an easy goal out the back.

If you want to play that way stop picking the battlers in Jong, Rourke, Hayes etc that just aren’t skilled/composed enough to play like that!!!

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
In 2019 his VFL disposals were...

24% Forward 50
72% Midfield
4% Defensive 50

Then why is everyone saying he's a forward? And those stats don't help justify the decision. He isn't getting midfield minutes ahead of Bont, Liber, Macrae, Dunkley, , Baz, Treloar, McLean (when available), and many others who occasionally cycle through there. And the 4% disposals in defence, so the coach says "let's put him on Luke Breust". The lack of genuine, capable KPDs on our list is not the elephant in the room, it's a herd of elephants stampeding across the WO. Yet we draft a "utility" who plays predominantly mid and some forward, so we can turn him into a defender. Bizarro Bevo strikes again. (I'm more than happy to be proven wrong btw, and see him be successful, but given the recent track record of Gowers, Hayes and Gardner, this one has the same stench.)

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
The sad thing is it actually will happen. I don’t mind our game style, I know we want to be attacking and move the ball by hand but that completely breaks down when you have average skilled players in the chain. Libba, to Bont, to Dunks, to Hunter works great, then it comes to Jong who panics and stuffs the whole chain up and now everyone’s ran ahead of the ball and the Opp get an easy goal out the back.

If you want to play that way stop picking the battlers in Jong, Rourke, Hayes etc that just aren’t skilled/composed enough to play like that!!!

I'm not a Jong-ite per se, but at least he has points of difference in marking and burst speed and strength, not as vanilla as the others. Even so, unless he can play and contribute for the majority of this season, his career would have to done. Think he'd make a great captain at Footscray though, if his AFL dream ends.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Also, can anyone who watched the whole second game provide a snapshot of Kellet's attributes? I assume he has his old man's speed, but how is his disposal, reading the game, etc.

Edit: sorry, wrong thread, will re-post in prac match thread.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm not a Jong-ite per se, but at least he has points of difference in marking and burst speed and strength, not as vanilla as the others. Even so, unless he can play and contribute for the majority of this season, his career would have to done. Think he'd make a great captain at Footscray though, if his AFL dream ends.
I agree was probably harsh on Jong, I don’t mind him and he definitely has attributes that could be of great use, maybe forward is his best bet. I just feel like with the game style we play he’s going to be a bit of a liability. You just can’t have panicky uncomposed players breaking down our chains

Triple Baileys

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think the players picked up from Footscray have been reasonably successful given that they are the last spot on list picks pretty much every time. I think Hayes is up to AFL standard as a wingman/half-forward, Cavarra is a specific needs recruitment who was blooded last year and will have his chance this year. Have I missed anyone who was directly recruited from Footscray? As opposed to rookies from elsewhere like Gowers and Gardner.

Edit: I think Cavarra is really a recruit from Williamstown. So I am down to Hayes before the latest with Scott. Then there is Hannan, who likewise is a reasonable AFL standard player (hammies not withstanding)

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think the players picked up from Footscray have been reasonably successful given that they are the last spot on list picks pretty much every time. I think Hayes is up to AFL standard as a wingman/half-forward, Cavarra is a specific needs recruitment who was blooded last year and will have his chance this year. Have I missed anyone who was directly recruited from Footscray? As opposed to rookies from elsewhere like Gowers and Gardner.
Cavarra was taken in the normal draft after playing for Willi.
Gowers and Gardner were both from Footscray.

Back