List Mgmt. Welcome Archer Reid (Pick 30, 2023 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully he comes over and really develops. Welcome to West Coast.

Personally think based on seeing him for a couple of years and particularly this year he will be a bust. Great skills and athleticism but his reading of play is at best, suspect and he has regularly played on what seems like his own terms. He's top 10 in the draft on talent but I don't rate his application.

Here's hoping someone brings out the competitive streak in him as then at the very least he will make a serviceable key defender.

Hopefully he comes over and really develops. Welcome to West Coast.

Personally think based on seeing him for a couple of years and particularly this year he will be a bust. Great skills and athleticism but his reading of play is at best, suspect and he has regularly played on what seems like his own terms. He's top 10 in the draft on talent but I don't rate his application.

Here's hoping someone brings out the competitive streak in him as then at the very least he will make a serviceable key defender.

Good start to the post, lots of great build up, got excited and then car crash.

Argh

Last edited:

From the highlight clips. he certainly has the skills, and from what I saw, he didn't lack physicality. He threw himself in from the side several times to take good grabs. He will be a handful when he puts on another 10 kilos. The perfect pick, OA needs another down there, but he will likely need 12 months in the WAFL. I am rapt with the pick.
He'll need 2 or 3 seasons to fill out and start being able to impact at AFL level. Jack Williams is a good comparison, has had two seasons on our list and only showed glimpses this year (his second). I expect he takes the next step in 2024.

As for Archer, I won't expect much from him until 2026 at the earliest.

Big men don't get any shorter as the game goes along. This fella is pretty big.

He looks to take enough contested marks that I'm not worried about his physicality.

You don't have to be aggressive to have a physical impact. You just have to be not bothered by contact and be prepared to put yourself in the right spot, come what may.

Oscar needs an amigo up forward and I think the concern would be who steps into Darlings shoes in a couple of years. It sounds a bit horrible to say but I think the club is right to hedge their bets on Jilliams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Massive talent. West Coast do love their underage year superstars, don't they?

Has all the tools to be an exceptional player - just needs the right environment, mindset and most importantly, a position where he can consistently demonstrate his skills.

I'm happy with this pick, without question the highest potential talent that was still available.

So I'm not the only one who sees it then.

His best is when he starts behind the ball and can roam from there. Probably because he's 203cm and there are so few that can man-up on someone of his height in junior footy, he's always been forward, but I'm still surprised in a side that had Z.Duursma and [last year] R.Maric in attack that A.Reid wasn't tried in defence more often.

Up forward he's a lead-up style player who has a habit of becoming lost once the defence floods back and causes congestion.

During his stints much higher up the ground as the ruck is where the glimpses of his true potential can be seen - not in the ruck contest (his tapwork is rather agricultural), but more his positioning and his ability to impact marking contests from opposition kicks.

He looks like a natural defender to me. Get this right and the club has a potential D.Moore / H.Andrews type on its hands.

If the club sees similarly, he'll also have some handy team-mates in defence to learn from as well. If history is any guide, the Eagles do know a thing or two about developing key backs.

Queries over physicality seem to be overblown in my opinion - this isn't Brander 2.0, it's a kid 4 inches taller who lacks upper body strength at the moment. He digs in, but the deficiency in strength hampers his impact and overhead marking particularly.

That said, he's 94kg already - it's not like we've taken a project rake that will take 4+ years for any kind competitive mass to develop. A couple of preseasons in a professional environment and those shoulders and arms will take on a very different look.

This is a strategic high-risk, high-reward pick taken after the high level of assurance of H.Reid at pick 1.

We could end up with B.McKay; or we could end up with a major piece of our next premiership puzzle.

I'm inclined to trust the club and have faith in the latter.

Welcome to West Coast, Archer.

May you have success as an Eagle and that your name grows it's own reputation based on performance, independent of your earlier drafted team-mate and namesake.

High risk, high reward selection. Pretty much any tall out of the top 20 falls into that category - and a lot inside the top 20.

Every club needs to pull the trigger on thia type of pick from time to time, lest you end up with a very vanilla list.
Agreed - especially with the uber tall KPPs that everyone normally wishes we had. You’re either going to roll the dice on one outside the first round or you’re going to use a very early pick on one.

I am more comfortable with the pick if he could potentially be a KPD. Prefer to have uber talls spoiling in defence rather than being unco in the forward line (Brisbane is a good case study)

Pretty sure he refers to Oscar Allen as “Oscar Ryan” when asked about which player he is most keen to meet.

Having a bob each way between Oscar and Liam?

JUST GOT HOME FROM WORK AND WAS SHOCKED BY THIS PICK
AS MY FIRST THOUGHT THIS KID IS SOFT AND WE ARE PICKING UP LIVINGSTONE
WHY ?

it should be obvious why with only Oscar as a key target , Darling 31yr turning 32 next year , Waterman with medical problems , J Williams still unsure if he makes it ..

Massive talent. West Coast do love their underage year superstars, don't they?

Has all the tools to be an exceptional player - just needs the right environment, mindset and most importantly, a position where he can consistently demonstrate his skills.

I'm happy with this pick, without question the highest potential talent that was still available.

So I'm not the only one who sees it then.

His best is when he starts behind the ball and can roam from there. Probably because he's 203cm and there are so few that can man-up on someone of his height in junior footy, he's always been forward, but I'm still surprised in a side that had Z.Duursma and [last year] R.Maric in attack that A.Reid wasn't tried in defence more often.

Up forward he's a lead-up style player who has a habit of becoming lost once the defence floods back and causes congestion.

During his stints much higher up the ground as the ruck is where the glimpses of his true potential can be seen - not in the ruck contest (his tapwork is rather agricultural), but more his positioning and his ability to impact marking contests from opposition kicks.

He looks like a natural defender to me. Get this right and the club has a potential D.Moore / H.Andrews type on its hands.

If the club sees similarly, he'll also have some handy team-mates in defence to learn from as well. If history is any guide, the Eagles do know a thing or two about developing key backs.

Queries over physicality seem to be overblown in my opinion - this isn't Brander 2.0, it's a kid 4 inches taller who lacks upper body strength at the moment. He digs in, but the deficiency in strength hampers his impact and overhead marking particularly.

That said, he's 94kg already - it's not like we've taken a project rake that will take 4+ years for any kind competitive mass to develop. A couple of preseasons in a professional environment and those shoulders and arms will take on a very different look.

This is a strategic high-risk, high-reward pick taken after the high level of assurance of H.Reid at pick 1.

We could end up with B.McKay; or we could end up with a major piece of our next premiership puzzle.

I'm inclined to trust the club and have faith in the latter.

Welcome to West Coast, Archer.

May you have success as an Eagle and that your name grows it's own reputation based on performance, independent of your earlier drafted team-mate and namesake.

If he turns out to be Ben McKay, an average player that gets us pick 3, that’s a good result just hopefully not with the ladder position

Is he a significantly better prospect than Williams?

Yes taller and quicker off the mark also can mark the ball at the highest point but then perhaps JWilliams hasn`t had time to focus on playing to his real strengths due to team injury`s he has had to cover as a Ruck/fwd and a poor midfield to IS50`s ratio system that struggled to benefit the FWDS ..
So difficult to truly assess JWilliams as he has been thrown to the wolves early in a sense and not a tradition development pathway as a KPF ..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back