Welcome Welcome back - Alex Woodward

Remove this Banner Ad

Poor Woody can't take a trick Plantar Fascia rupture according to Fagan on the Bupa Report 2-4 weeks :(
A small bump in the road compared to what he has overcome. Sucks for him but he'll be back soon enough.

they have kept his quit and also Langers punctured lung :(
Langers lung was discussed the day after it happened i think was mentioned on SEN or something and someone saw him in emergency on the day. Woody I thought was an ankle the foot may be worse or better, hopefully its more the 2 week variety and he can get back, he needs time on the field this year if he wants a contract next year somewhere I feel

I've had this injury and it took a lot longer than 2-4 weeks, although I didn't have the medical access Woody does...my pessimistic side says we wont see him this season...
Or like Robert Harvey who deliberately ruptured his to relieve plantar fasciitis and played the next week, it might settle quickly

Or like Robert Harvey who deliberately ruptured his to relieve plantar fasciitis and played the next week, it might settle quickly
Fagan did comment that the medical staff said a complete rupture was better than a partial and he had to take their word for it :cool:

What is the injury???
The plantar fascia is a series of sinews mirroring the bones in the forefoot that runs from the front base of the heel to just past the ball of the foot. It tightens when weight travels over the ball of the foot onto the toes during walking/running and supports the arches of the foot. If Woody's foot is taped and/or his boot sufficiently supports his arch it won't be missed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The plantar fascia is a series of sinews mirroring the bones in the forefoot that runs from the front base of the heel to just past the ball of the foot. It tightens when weight travels over the ball of the foot onto the toes during walking/running and supports the arches of the foot. If Woody's foot is taped and/or his boot sufficiently supports his arch it won't be missed.
Isn't that the injury Croad had which ended his career?

Isn't that the injury Croad had which ended his career?
Croad had a fractured navicular bone which has ended the career of nearly every player to sustain it with the notable exception of James Hird even though his occurred 10 years earlier than Croad's or Matthew Egans. Of course there is nothing suspicious there

Croad had a fractured navicular bone which has ended the career of nearly every player to sustain it with the notable exception of James Hird even though his occurred 10 years earlier than Croad's or Matthew Egans. Of course there is nothing suspicious there
Jack Trengove also has made it back though whether he can sustain it is yet to be seen

Somehow managed to put some pep back into his step...

Thanks !!!

Right. So that explains why the full tear is better then, as it won't be causing ongoing strain and inflammation. Makes you wonder, then, why the athletes with the partial tear don't get a full release, the inflammation from surgery would take just as long to repair as the physio from the partial injury. But I'm guessing we're talking short term, not long term, and surgeons would be hesitant to chop out half a plantar fascia and risk it all contracting away.

Would this be something they'd attempt to fix in the off-season?

Right. So that explains why the full tear is better then, as it won't be causing ongoing strain and inflammation. Makes you wonder, then, why the athletes with the partial tear don't get a full release, the inflammation from surgery would take just as long to repair as the physio from the partial injury. But I'm guessing we're talking short term, not long term, and surgeons would be hesitant to chop out half a plantar fascia and risk it all contracting away.

Would this be something they'd attempt to fix in the off-season?
Don't quote me but I reckon with time it would repair itself. There is a condition affecting the equivalent structure in the hand, the palmar fascia called Dupuytren's contracture where the fascia compromises the freedom of the finger flexor tendons to move resulting in hand deformity and disablement by progressively curling up the fingers. The palmar fascia can be cut to relieve it but it tends to recur

I had plantar fascia a year or so ago. Gave me grief for months especially first thing in the morning. Pressing on the area was excruciating pain ! Like someone stabbing a knife in there. Tried many things including frozen bottled water on arches etc at night. Then i started doing simple calf raises against a wall progressing into machine ones at the gym. Seriously within weeks the pain subsided and gone.. Happened quite quick. wish i had of done them straight away ! Have since done regular calf raises and have had no re lapses. Get on it Woody.

Don't quote me but I reckon with time it would repair itself. There is a condition affecting the equivalent structure in the hand, the palmar fascia called Dupuytren's contracture where the fascia compromises the freedom of the finger flexor tendons to move resulting in hand deformity and disablement by progressively curling up the fingers. The palmar fascia can be cut to relieve it but it tends to recur

Yeah, I'm aware of Dupuytren's contracture, though there have been reported associations with other diseases that may predispose and hence cause recurrence. That being said, most of my info is extrapolating from other species, so you probably know more about it than I do. :D

I had plantar fascia a year or so ago. Gave me grief for months especially first thing in the morning. Pressing on the area was excruciating pain ! Like someone stabbing a knife in there. Tried many things including frozen bottled water on arches etc at night. Then i started doing simple calf raises against a wall progressing into machine ones at the gym. Seriously within weeks the pain subsided and gone.. Happened quite quick. wish i had of done them straight away ! Have since done regular calf raises and have had no re lapses. Get on it Woody.
A 6-week eccentric training program for the calf has been proven to recover Achilles tendinitis. It may do the same with plantar fasciitis not so much by strengthening it but by improving the mobility of the nerve that innervates it. There is strong suspicion that plantar fasciitis is caused by poor nerve mobility (neurodynamics)

Yeah, I'm aware of Dupuytren's contracture, though there have been reported associations with other diseases that may predispose and hence cause recurrence. That being said, most of my info is extrapolating from other species, so you probably know more about it than I do. :D
other species, monkeys?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back