Coach Craig McRae

Remove this Banner Ad

the face hes not happy about Carlton having a panel and having a "process" says alot. scared of what they might find? scared of what they might ask?.... he expected the role to be handed to him.
It sounds to me like he wanted to be head hunted, which it looked like Carlton were going to do, and they appear certain to do it with Clarkson if given the opportunity. With us he seemed to be anticipating that and we obviously know how that went.

It appeared that Carlton were going to head hunt a coach from a very short list, however whether they simply rethought their process or got intimidated by the criticism about them appearing to once again head hunt a savior, it now appears that the head hunt a short list to go through a process for the top job, which must have been a blow to Ross's ego given how much the media has been pumping up his tires in recent months.

I'll be interested to see if Carlton can attract an experienced coach to go through the process given how they've handled the whole situation now.

Anti-Bucks where Bucks wanted all the Players pretty much the same - Robots
Just to continue with that thought TD.

Regardless of his weaknesses as a coach Bucks never had a fraction of the support and well wishes on this site AT THE BEGGINING of his coaching career that Craig has had just now.

That's not to say that Craig isn't deserving or that Bucks was the saviour . . .

BUT

There are quite a few still here from that time who are rubbishing his efforts in comparison to Craig.

Regardless of history even before Bucks took the reins there were (and still are) a significant number of posters that tore into him for no reason except personal dislike.

I can only characterize such behavior as a pack of curs attacking from the shadows.

Now back to Craig I like his style and his attitudes and I think he is the best available.

I hated Bucks as coach, but im real excited about McRea

This guy you can deep down is gonna do what it takes to win, his seen 7 premierships as a player, assistant and VFL head coach. 9 Grand finals.

This guy knows a few things about winning flags. what did bucks know asides from losing?

WELCOME TO THE COLLINGWOOD ARMY CRAIG MCREA

I hated Bucks as coach, but im real excited about McRea

This guy you can deep down is gonna do what it takes to win, his seen 7 premierships as a player, assistant and VFL head coach. 9 Grand finals.

This guy knows a few things about winning flags. what did bucks know asides from losing?

WELCOME TO THE COLLINGWOOD ARMY CRAIG MCREA
And I'd like to also welcome Craig McRae

I still find this wide reaching sentiment that we're way off finals perplexing honestly.

I'm clearly in the minority, but as I did in 2017 twice, I don't think our list is as bad as is being made out. We finished 6th in 2020.

It's very easy to crap on a list when the club is losing due to a combination of a few key injuries and terrible coaching with players down on confidence.

This is still a list that contains the likes of Moore, Grundy, De Goey, Pendlebury, Elliott, Adams, Roughead, Maynard, Howe, Daicos etc etc.

You throw in the best 18 year old in the country, maybe a rejuvenated Sam Weideman and a fresh and hopefully competent coaching group with just a dash of luck with injuries and I don't see why finals are completely out of the question next year.

Hell, maybe even Cox can finally be used properly playing under someone competent that he loves (and loves him back) to become the key forward we're craving?

I'm not suggesting it's guaranteed to happen, but as I was in 2017, I'm just not as dismissive of the idea that finals are so out of reach for this group.

I still find this wide reaching sentiment that we're way off finals perplexing honestly.

I'm clearly in the minority, but as I did in 2017 twice, I don't think our list is as bad as is being made out. We finished 6th in 2020.

It's very easy to crap on a list when the club is losing due to a combination of a few key injuries and terrible coaching with players down on confidence.

This is still a list that contains the likes of Moore, Grundy, De Goey, Pendlebury, Elliott, Adams, Roughead, Maynard, Howe, Daicos etc etc.

You throw in the best 18 year old in the country, maybe a rejuvenated Sam Weideman and a fresh and hopefully competent coaching group with just a dash of luck with injuries and I don't see why finals are completely out of the question next year.

Hell, maybe even Cox can finally be used properly playing under someone competent that he loves (and loves him back) to become the key forward we're craving?

I'm not suggesting it's guaranteed to happen, but as I was in 2017, I'm just not as dismissive of the idea that finals are so out of reach for this group.

I tend to agree. In life, things are never as bad, or as good, as you would believe. I don't think we are too far off. We have a good selection of young fellas at the moment that have been given some quality time on the paddock this year. When you add another pre-season of training into them, a revitalised football department and a fresh perspective, then you have the recipe for growth and opportunity. I am confident that we will be a lot more competitive next season and am confident that we will develop quickly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And I'd like to also welcome Craig McRae
hahaha yes i got the spelling wrong but he is the right guy and im so excited at this guy he clearly wanted this job. All the media have pissed down this process and never stopped to consider maybe we were sounding out people that wanted the job and not people we need to beg like Ross

I'd agree with you wholeheartedly as I am definitely a optimist rather than a pessimist but this is whereby our issues lie.

Moore, JDG, Elliott, Adams, Howe and Daicos have missed a lot of footy in the past few seasons - and this isn't a one off statement, it is a consistent and repeated theme among our best players every year. Pendlebury is 34 next year. Roughead is 31, Howe is 32, Sidebottom is 31. We need to expose the future over these guys who aren't apart of our next tilt. Our only durable player in our top 10 players you listed there are Grundy and Maynard (I would also add Crisp), and Pendlebury would be in this bracket but as of late he is starting to lose games to injuries as well. We just can't seem to keep them all on the park at any one time, and it seems when it rains it pours and they all decide to miss games together. When you have a young side, you cannot compete if you have 3 or 4 of those guys consistently out of the team. It's hamstrung us a number of times.

The next issue is that our bottom 6 players are going to be rookies or genuine stop gaps and role players, and they're gonna struggle from week to week. When you factor in the missed games of our stars which is a definite as that's who they are (prone to injury) we will be pumping more guys with inexperience into the team which makes our bottom 6 weaker, and our list of experienced and good players smaller. The need to expose the future over our older vets too will come at a cost of winning games, and McRae will have that knowledge to build the list, rather than a games won metric we have seen under Bucks and Harvey.

I 100% agree that our top 10 is one of the best in the league and can match it with anyone, but I have failed to see them all contribute together when it counts and for that I have little faith we will be in finals for another few years to come. I am confident in what McRae will bring, but it has to be the long road with him unfortunately.

I truly wonder what could have been for Pendles and this current group if they were a durable bunch and we had of been lucky with injuries and umpires (2018 granny) along the way. I could easily think Pendles could've been a 3 or 4 time premiership captain.

I agree with your sentiment, we also get a bottom 6 draw (even though I think we will get a hard bottom 6 draw Blues, Crows or Suns, Tigers, Dons and Lions/Port x2)

However what is the better option long term, A top 10 pick for a finals run in 2022?

Also American Mason Cox is 31 year old in 2022 and is not our key forward option it is time to move on from him.

Just to continue with that thought TD.

Regardless of his weaknesses as a coach Bucks never had a fraction of the support and well wishes on this site AT THE BEGGINING of his coaching career that Craig has had just now.

That's not to say that Craig isn't deserving or that Bucks was the saviour . . .

BUT

There are quite a few still here from that time who are rubbishing his efforts in comparison to Craig.

Regardless of history even before Bucks took the reins there were (and still are) a significant number of posters that tore into him for no reason except personal dislike.

I can only characterize such behavior as a pack of curs attacking from the shadows.

Now back to Craig I like his style and his attitudes and I think he is the best available.
Well said.

My first post in this thread.

I am just going to wait and see. Neither excited nor disappointed.

Well said.

My first post in this thread.

I am just going to wait and see. Neither excited nor disappointed.
Hopeful here that many of the flaws that have been allowed to develop will start to heal with a fresh outlook, teams become so inward looking with ex players as coaches.

Not saying that Bucks didn't do a good job just that he should have had a longer outside apprenticeship.

He had not been long enough away from the club before coming back as a coach.

i listened to the SEN thing.. and he sounds good but the only reservation is .... does he have mongrel in him? We know we need mongrel
I mean... I never know when you're being serious...

But yeah he does. When I was in Arizona with the team, Bucks' first gig, Fly was the 2IC.

He commanded full attention from everyone, was always clear and concise and the ultimate professional. And you did NOT step out of line.

Cannot endorse his selection more vigorously.

Hopeful here that many of the flaws that have been allowed to develop will start to heal with a fresh outlook, teams become so inward looking with ex players as coaches.

Not saying that Bucks didn't do a good job just that he should have had a longer outside apprenticeship.

He had not been long enough away from the club before coming back as a coach.
I was meaning I am not going to prejudge positively or negatively.

Happy to wait and see starting with delistings and contract renewals.

Michael Gleeson has a great turn of phrase:

In terms of how it was announced, club president Mark Korda sounded like he was revealing a coach sacking, not an appointment. His funereal tone should not be surprising from a corporate undertaker, but the transactional nature of the announcement of a new coach provided a counterpoint to the more vaudevillian style of the McGuire announcements.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back