Coach Craig McRae

Remove this Banner Ad

McRae already threatening to tag Hawks players (Mitchell, I assume!) - love it!

And pick fights bring a bit of un socialable footy to pieland. Love it.
Also hinted at a better balance between attack and defence with playing a style the fans will want to cheer.

Welcome to the throne King McRae, may your reign be a successful one and built on the bones of 17 other sides.

God Korda was awful, but the only reason he was there was because of the numpties that said he should have been at Bucks departure presser! The reality is he shouldn’t have been at either it should have been Licca as the board representative in both cases. There’s no pleasing everyone though…

Despite the terrible questioning I took a bit from that. Primarily we’re going to be harder to beat at the contest so to everyone that’s bemoaned Grundy’s hitout efficiency I think you’re about to get your wish. Flowing from there we’re likely to defend more with ground position than numbers ala Richmond. I think he’s going to be a standard you walk past is the standard you accept type of guy and he’ll use relationship building to drive that because those strong relationships will foster courageous conversations.

Beyond that it’s hard to predict what we’ll look like because he kept things close to his chest. Now to put the board challenge to bed…

I think he was at pains to convey to supporters a more aggressive and attacking brand. Multiple times he made comments about a style the fans will want to cheer on.
Picking fights and tagging Hawks players, being ruthless like 01-04lions side etc.
Also that his coaching DnA comes from his lions days withobvious tweaks suggests a better balance of attack and defense.

And hopefully its not just fluff because that is a side I've been hanging to see the pies build.

I understand that POV but I didn't get the FIGJAM vibe in the presser. What I got was - I'm going to do the best I can, I'm confident in my ability and I'm going to give this a helluva shake. He set the tone of the relationship with the media. They won't have an easy kill here and he let them know.
I don't really subscribe to this "hate" for those who are gifted the FIGJAM tag.
Buckley backed up every single expectation placed on him as a player by those who manufactured the tag.

If McRae can match Buckley's greatness as a player, as a coach, I will be very happy.

Oh, so its working pretty well then?

Hard to tell. Jamar came in mid season. Grundy was better this year than last year so maybe.

I suspect a functioning midfield structure will be Grundy's biggest help. I'm hoping we get that with McRae.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood has its eyes on Hawthorn assistant Brendon Bolton to work with new coach Craig McRae

What I love about McRae already is his very clear understanding about the need to connect with the supporters. At no stage did I ever feel that Bucks ever saw us as anything more than background noise and nuffies. Despite the occasional reference to the army, it felt forced and artificial.
2018 was the only year in which he demonstrated a sense of connection to the Collingwood base.
I know its early days but McRae has had the army in the forefront of his mind every time he has spoken or been interviewed. I love it. Hardwick clearly placed a huge emphasis on embracing the fans and this has clearly rubbed off on McRae .
Go Pies.
Side by side suddenly feels like more than a throwaway line for marketing purposes and more like a mission statement.

Hard to tell. Jamar came in mid season. Grundy was better this year than last year so maybe.

I suspect a functioning midfield structure will be Grundy's biggest help. I'm hoping we get that with McRae.

Yeah between a better midfield structure/coach, a full pre-season with Jamar and an injection of Daicos into that midfield and I'd be kinda disappointed if we don't see a tangible improvement in midfield performance next year

Michael Gleeson has a great turn of phrase:

He stole a few lines from my post yesterday! I called Korda's demeanor funereal and said he sounded as if he'd come to sack McRae! He was clearly casting his eye over our responses to the new coach.;)

Great signing, just happy to see us follow a process and not throw cash around for the sack of it, or be deluded into thinking we are something we currently aren't.

Really looking forward to next year now!

I told mine the same and we are still together and madly in love! :heart: :)

well thats because you're a better man than me, but we knew that already.....but i'm not sure craig is up to your standards...i'm gonna have to wait and see if he's an egg in disguise

Remove this Banner Ad

Back