Player Watch Father-Son Pick #60 (2021) - Jase Burgoyne

Remove this Banner Ad

You could see him grow in confidence as the game wore on. Michael Walters is one of the best in the comp for mine and young Jase did a great job. Like Mead, just keep playing him.

Had a poor first quarter - 5 kicks 1 handball and only 3 were effective disposals, ie 3 really poor kicks, and I thought not a great start.

But improve he did, and 10 of his next 11 disposals are recorded as effective. Showed the trait he showed in the 4 games I saw him play for the Maggies last year and the games I have seen him play this year, composure.

I think I only saw him lose to an opponent 1 on 1 a couple of times and that was when the ball was on the ground and not in the air. Once he develops an AFL body, move him to play on the ball. He will be too good to waste at half back.

Had a poor first quarter - 5 kicks 1 handball and only 3 were effective disposals, ie 3 really poor kicks, and I thought not a great start.

But improve he did, and 10 of his next 11 disposals are recorded as effective. Showed the trait he showed in the 4 games I saw him play for the Maggies last year and the games I have seen him play this year, composure.

I think I only saw him lose to an opponent 1 on 1 a couple of times and that was when the ball was on the ground and not in the air. Once he develops an AFL body, move him to play on the ball. He will be too good to waste at half back.
For a first game player he didn't ever look out of place. Look forward to Jase solidifying his place in the team.

Beautiful.

Three observations from the family photo:
1. Jase really doesn’t smile ever
2. Peter looks as young as his sons.
3. Rome looks like his dad and more solidly built than Jase already
Peter senior there on the right , they like to preen themselves , they’ve done well considering Peter senior would’ve grown up at Kooniba mission near Ceduna . He moved to Pt. Lincoln as a young adult for work , he’s always worked as long as I’ve known him .
on Jase I get the feeling there’s more to come with him when his body builds and he gets his confidence up

As I mentioned in the GWS review thread, Jase is almost criminally underweight playing AFL but has wiry strength, great concentration and some serious moves. That one grab backstep blind turn was amazing.

Oh and he does smile when he takes a hanger 😉

I really like Jase, but where does he fit in the backline at full strength?

The starting back six is generally McKenzie/Clurey, Aliir, Jonas, DBJ, Houston and Burton. A 7th defender is Bonner. Then there's also Bergman (who can also play wing) and Lachie Jones who imo is better down back than as a forward.

It could be suggested to play Bonner or Houston higher up the ground on the wing, though this then leaves you with a logjam of those two plus Duursma, Bergman, Farrell and Josh Sinn on the wing next season.

Very good problems to have, and dare I say if the list management team were smart they'd look at moving on one of the small backs (most likely DBJ) via trade to give some of these younger players a more regular opportunity at AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I mentioned in the GWS review thread, Jase is almost criminally underweight playing AFL but has wiry strength, great concentration and some serious moves. That one grab backstep blind turn was amazing.

Oh and he does smile when he takes a hanger 😉

As they say in gymnastics, he stuck the landing - and not for the first time.

Oh and he does smile when he takes a hanger

Hes like an emu.

Wiry but strong and tough as old boots.

The starting back six is generally McKenzie/Clurey, Aliir, Jonas, DBJ, Houston and Burton. A 7th defender is Bonner. Then there's also Bergman (who can also play wing) and Lachie Jones who imo is better down back than as a forward.

It could be suggested to play Bonner or Houston higher up the ground on the wing, though this then leaves you with a logjam of those two plus Duursma, Bergman, Farrell and Josh Sinn on the wing next season.

Very good problems to have, and dare I say if the list management team were smart they'd look at moving on one of the small backs (most likely DBJ) via trade to give some of these younger players a more regular opportunity at AFL level.
Replaces DBJ very soon IMO.

Has all of DBJs 1:1 ground ball traits and closing speed, he's just as quick, better skill and ball use, hes slightly taller and better in the air. Think he can kick DBJ out in no time.

I know we keep wishing this on flankers but he could play anywhere. When he pushed forward late in the game he was involved in the last two goal assists and would have taken a hanger if Drew hadn't spoiled him.

He reminds me a bit of spring-heeled Max James who played full forward, full back and on ball for Port. Different times back then, Max was a key position player at 185cm, but he was another with lean muscle mass who filled out to a good size and could play any position. Jase would only be flanker sized in the modern game, but could become an on-baller. He's smart, reads the play well, has enough pace and serious moves.

And he could just as easily lock down a forward as his defensive side is very disciplined.

Replaces DBJ very soon IMO.

Has all of DBJs 1:1 ground ball traits and closing speed, he's just as quick, better skill and ball use, hes slightly taller and better in the air. Think he can kick DBJ out in no time.
DBJ and a few other players have become notoriously sloppy even with the simplest of disposals.
Handpassing at your team mates feet seems to be a Port trademark..

Should get a Rising Star nomination. Good game and a goal. So clean and composed.

Stopped Ginnivan's scoring spree too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back