News Welcome back Geoff Morris

Iwish

XUS NEK
Apr 22, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Don't underestimate the influence Morris will have on our coaching group including ken even though he is only listed as development coach. This is big. If our coaching group is smart enough to take in advice and bounce ideas from him it will be to their advantage and it could help the win loss ratio look better as a result.

Rexie J

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2012
YP
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Don't underestimate the influence Morris will have on our coaching group including ken even though he is only listed as development coach. This is big. If our coaching group is smart enough to take in advice and bounce ideas from him it will be to their advantage and it could help the win loss ratio look better as a result.

Yep, I reckon you have read the 'tea leaves' rather well.

Doubtful if this is just a garden variety type of appointment. This has serious merit.

Iwish

XUS NEK
Apr 22, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Gonna be exciting times for the new coach coming in 2021.

Player developement has been one of our biggest weaknesses the last few years.
If Ken plays his cards rights and uses Morris as sounding board he will be the coach in 2021 as it will help him get those extra couple of wins to help him survive. Certainly an interesting time at the club. Ken hanging on by a thread and kochie and co. Doing all they can to help him get through.

Aug 4, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Great appointment, the negative talk really is boring people, Ken isn't going anywhere yet - but will - enjoy some terrific news for a change, cripes, feel positive!
so boring and it's only November, are we going to be this boring and negative all the way through the summer and into March before the season starts?

Aug 4, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There's not much to be positive about. The people in charge of our club broke it and they're trying to cover it up.

Yay. Clap clap yay
Mate, you can't call me a happy clappy because I refuse to join in with the whining about the non existant football that is currently not even happening because it's summer. I'm all for critical analysis of the team and the coaches but they can't do much when they're all on holiday and the comp hasn't started.

Geoff Morris was a beautiful left foot kick who could hit a target with ease. If he isn't doing the kicking development coaching himself, I hope he makes bloody sure whoever he employs to do that, he gets vast improvement in our players. But given how good Hawthorn's kicking skills have been since he got there in 2006, I'm sure he has it covered.

Powerage

Absurd Caricature
Aug 14, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Sounds like he and Clarkson are pretty tight, or at least Clarkson has tremendous respect for him. In perfect isolation, it is fantastic news. A proven development coach with recruiting nous brings two skillsets to the club we are so sorely in need of.

However, my first request of him would be to hold off having any impact in his role until Hinkley is hopefully sacked after round 5 or so because anything that gets us closer to making the eight this season is the definition of a double-edged sword. So desperate am I to get rid of Hinkley. His extension will surely go down as one of the poorest decisions the club has made in a long long time, and that includes his performance clause.

Still, it is very encouraging to see the club making good appointments of personnel from other successful cultures but who still have a connection to the club.

Chachi

Premiership Player
Jan 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Fu** No
1573071744156.png

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Never heard Rucci so excited about an appointment as he is about this one.
Geoff be licking his lips at getting his hands on our young brigade. Being a recruiter he would know where he had had them ranked too.
Yep the club is in a rebuild and our younguns will be in good hands.

Last edited:

The Rubber Man

Club Legend
May 1, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If Ken plays his cards rights and uses Morris as sounding board he will be the coach in 2021 as it will help him get those extra couple of wins to help him survive. Certainly an interesting time at the club. Ken hanging on by a thread and kochie and co. Doing all they can to help him get through.

I dunno, seems like all the moves we have made this off season is in preparation for life after ken.

If we tell our coach that he needs to make finals to keep his job, then trade away doogs for pick 18 and send sam away for nothing in an attempt to develop our young small forwards... then bringing on Morris as a development coach to make all these young kids better for the future.

All the moves on the surface look to make us worse off for the next 2-3 years but go for a flag in 4-5 years time.

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So where does this leave Chad Cornes? He was shuffled into the developement role after vacating the Magpies job, right? Can this club just cut this Glenelg party boy loose once and for all now? I’m sure Morris can handle most of the workload. Surely this appointment makes him surplus to requirements. And he can take his entourage of mates with him.

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So where does this leave Chad Cornes? He was shuffled into the developement role after vacating the Magpies job, right? Can this club just cut this Glenelg party boy loose once and for all now? I’m sure Morris can handle most of the workload. Surely this appointment makes him surplus to requirements. And he can take his entourage of mates with him.
I'm sure they can find him a position at GLENELG.

Back