News Welcome back Geoff Morris

Remove this Banner Ad

To be honest a part from knowing that he was around during our successful period and premiership i don't know much about him.

Quick google search and noticed that he is 65 years old, how much juice does he have left in the tank?

Best appointment in years we may not see the fruits for awhile but it's a long haul process with some deadwood still to clear.

Riley Bonner was on SEN yesterday and was asked by Rucci if the emphasis on skills would be able to be seen this year. He said that they had brought out the balls early again this year, so he believed it would.

Appointing Morris is just another step along this road. If the players want to play the brand of football they were trying to play last year consistently, they need to be able to execute under pressure.

I love the talk at this time of year of 'bringing the balls out earlier'. I mean, they're professional footballers, you'd think kicking footballs is a pretty core part of what they do. No wonder the players can't kick for s**t. They should be kicking footballs 365 days a year.

Riley Bonner was on SEN yesterday and was asked by Rucci if the emphasis on skills would be able to be seen this year. He said that they had brought out the balls early again this year, so he believed it would.

Appointing Morris is just another step along this road. If the players want to play the brand of football they were trying to play last year consistently, they need to be able to execute under pressure.
I swear we've heard that the balls have come out early (the footballs, that is) for the past few years. Time to see results.

I love the talk at this time of year of 'bringing the balls out earlier'. I mean, they're professional footballers, you'd think kicking footballs is a pretty core part of what they do. No wonder the players can't kick for s**t. They should be kicking footballs 365 days a year.

'Chortle'....

They should wake up next to a football, bounce it down the hall way on the way for their morning piss!

I was wondering why everyone was os positive about this appt, bad memory I guess, so did some research.

This came up, good stuff: -

.... Quick google search and noticed that he is 65 years old, how much juice does he have left in the tank?
At 65 he should be in a nursing home dribbling in his porridge not using his wealth of experience to mentor young footballers as a development coach.

To be honest a part from knowing that he was around during our successful period and premiership i don't know much about him.

Quick google search and noticed that he is 65 years old, how much juice does he have left in the tank?
Bill Belichick is 67, Gregg Popovich is 70. Its not how old you are, its how much brain power and people skills you have. Age shall not weary them, or condemn.

Interesting to note that after several years of player development Geoff Morris had input into recruiting in recent years at Hawthorn. Obviously our end of season review detected a significant gap in player recruiting and development. If youth is now our focus then having someone with Geoff Morris' skills on board albeit for a few years makes sense.

I was wondering why everyone was os positive about this appt, bad memory I guess, so did some research.

Thanks for posting. Encouraging!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At 65 he should be in a nursing home dribbling in his porridge not using his wealth of experience to mentor young footballers as a development coach.

The chances are that in 2020 two septuagenarians will battle it out for the Presidency of the United States that is if one them doesn't get us all killed first.

‘‘I would have kicked more footballs than any other player at Port Adelaide.

‘‘I used to kick for three hours with [teammate] Roger James before training, and then afterwards train for two hours with the team.’’

I can just imagine the hissy fits if anyone even just suggested to either of our half-captains this is how a player takes responsibility onto themselves.

Have read this with interest. This excerpt had me thinking of Hinkley ... and suddenly feeling unwell.

Morris had a subtle but lasting influence on Dew and helped him to recognise what matters to players, and in turn what players search for in a coach.

‘‘Geoff was probably the first coach I knew that looked into you as a person,’’ Dew explained. ‘‘Early at Port it was just footy, and you either played well or you didn’t. That was it. You just backed up for training.

‘‘There was a lot self-coaching. You find a way, or you don’t get picked. But Geoff was the first to talk about motivations, and habits, and about ‘how are you feeling?’’’

Some say it took a long time for football to reconcile itself to variety in men, but Dew is certainly of a new order of coaches who have seen the game shift towards accommodating individuals and their peculiarities.

‘‘I just think everyone is different,’’ said Dew. ‘‘All the players are different, and so are all the coaches. And that was my experience with coaches too, with Mark Williams, Geoff Morris, Phil Walsh, Dean Bailey and Clarkson. They were all different people.

‘‘Something I learnt from Paul Roos straight up was that you need to treat everyone differently under the same set of standards,’’ Dew said. ‘‘I think that’s true, that you have standards and everyone gets there differently.’’

If they have been playing for 15 years including elite programs from age 13 then they either have the technique or not.

I was thinking more along the lines that this might be a short term gig before he retires.
Not necessarily. Is it a full time job or is it part time? He might be treating it as semi-retirement. It might suit him to do it for years rather than sit in the nursing home watching daytime TV and waiting to die

I was thinking more along the lines that this might be a short term gig before he retires.
Could be, but better a short time with us than no time with us.

Have read this with interest. This excerpt had me thinking of Hinkley ... and suddenly feeling unwell.

Morris had a subtle but lasting influence on Dew and helped him to recognise what matters to players, and in turn what players search for in a coach.

‘‘Geoff was probably the first coach I knew that looked into you as a person,’’ Dew explained. ‘‘Early at Port it was just footy, and you either played well or you didn’t. That was it. You just backed up for training.

‘‘There was a lot self-coaching. You find a way, or you don’t get picked. But Geoff was the first to talk about motivations, and habits, and about ‘how are you feeling?’’’

Some say it took a long time for football to reconcile itself to variety in men, but Dew is certainly of a new order of coaches who have seen the game shift towards accommodating individuals and their peculiarities.

‘‘I just think everyone is different,’’ said Dew. ‘‘All the players are different, and so are all the coaches. And that was my experience with coaches too, with Mark Williams, Geoff Morris, Phil Walsh, Dean Bailey and Clarkson. They were all different people.

‘‘Something I learnt from Paul Roos straight up was that you need to treat everyone differently under the same set of standards,’’ Dew said. ‘‘I think that’s true, that you have standards and everyone gets there differently.’’

I am not sure why any of that would make you feel unwell? It is hard to judge Stewie Dew on the basis of his time at Gold Coast. I suspect the best Coach in the world would struggle at Carrara. Paul Roos was pretty successful so if his mantra was to, 'treat everyone differently under the same set of standards', there can be no denying that it worked.

Sorry but I simply do not get the connection between Dew, Roos and Hinkley. If the net result in the appointment of Geoff Morris is to influence the players as Paul Roos influenced his players and to have the same success I see no problem.

Not necessarily. Is it a full time job or is it part time? He might be treating it as semi-retirement. It might suit him to do it for years rather than sit in the nursing home watching daytime TV and waiting to die
A fit and healthy 65 year old is at least 25 years away from a nursing home

I am not sure why any of that would make you feel unwell? It is hard to judge Stewie Dew on the basis of his time at Gold Coast. I suspect the best Coach in the world would struggle at Carrara. Paul Roos was pretty successful so if his mantra was to, 'treat everyone differently under the same set of standards', there can be no denying that it worked.

Sorry but I simply do not get the connection between Dew, Roos and Hinkley. If the net result in the appointment of Geoff Morris is to influence the players as Paul Roos influenced his players and to have the same success I see no problem.
What had me projectile vomiting was the emboldened (mine) reference to ‘new breed of coaches’.

Hinkley ain’t one of them animals.

He’s a dinosaur. There should be a cage around him.

What had me projectile vomiting was the emboldened (mine) reference to ‘new breed of coaches’.

Hinkley ain’t one of them animals.

He’s a dinosaur. There should be a cage around him.

Thanks for that I see the connection now. It isn't about what Stewie Dew is but what Hinkley isn't. That said, I reckon if you asked Jonas or Wines how they felt about Ken Hinkley they would paint him as one of the new breed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back