Toast Welcome back, Rough!

Remove this Banner Ad

"Purely focused on Trade & Free Agency" is absolutely massive.

Trade/FA performance is obviously hard to measure in dollar terms but material improvement in this area would well justify his salary IMO. Watch every club have a similar role within 3y ears.

Macaulay Culkin Yes GIF by filmeditor

"Purely focused on Trade & Free Agency" is absolutely massive.

Trade/FA performance is obviously hard to measure in dollar terms but material improvement in this area would well justify his salary IMO. Watch every club have a similar role within 3y ears.

Absolutely.

Every role in the football department has essentially doubled their workload because of AFLW.

It’ll help ease the pressurw on list managers and head recruiters.

Love that he's back, but at the same time I'm getting a bit concerned with the amount of returning legends, and feel like it could start creating the old-boys club which had us at our absolute depths in 2004
Bringing in likable ex-players with expertise isn’t an issue.

If we were bringing back ex-players based on their on-field exploits alone I’d be concerned, but Rough has experience in list management, he’s one of most likable players that’s ever been in an AFL jumper and he’s going to be integral to building rapport with managers and targets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bringing in likable ex-players with expertise isn’t an issue.

If we were bringing back ex-players based on their on-field exploits alone I’d be concerned, but Rough has experience in list management, he’s one of most likable players that’s ever been in an AFL jumper and he’s going to be integral to building rapport with managers and targets.

Which is fair enough.
It was more about several ex-players coming back than rough on his own.
The issue with 2004 was we reached a point where there was noone in charge willing to tap underperformed ex-players on the shoulder. I'm hopeful the club is past that
Some people cannot be pleased.
See above

I got grilled by a few here for mentioning the club should get MM some help in trade + free agency. I didn't care if it was Roughie but just thought that brining in someone else would allow MM to keep doing the fantastic job that he's already done.

We're about to hit a really important part of the rebuild in the next trade / FA period with what I feel will be the filling out of the roster gaps that could very well launch us into being a serious long term contender if we progress like we did last season. If we can finally secure a FA (a KPD?) and a player via trade (ie Bailey Smith) it will go a long way to putting us in that category. We've got a lot of depth atm that might be too good for VFL but just outside the best 23 so there could be a situation where a good player or 2 might be used as trade bait to round out the list and I'd much rather MM have assistance in getting good / fair value in trades if in fact it is not a strong suit of his which I've already mentioned that I have no idea if it is or isn't.

Which is fair enough.
It was more about several ex-players coming back than rough on his own.
The issue with 2004 was we reached a point where there was noone in charge willing to tap underperformed ex-players on the shoulder. I'm hopeful the club is past that

See above
I'd much rather us be brining in high character guys like Roughie (club legends or not) than the way Clarko did running the place like a crazy asylum in his last days here with no one holding accountable. Obviously Roughie has a job to do and if he doesn't do it good then you cut him loose but I think trade + free agency role is perfect for him and he'll do a great job.

I got grilled by a few here for mentioning the club should get MM some help in trade + free agency. I didn't care if it was Roughie but just thought that brining in someone else would allow MM to keep doing the fantastic job that he's already done.

We're about to hit a really important part of the rebuild in the next trade / FA period with what I feel will be the filling out of the roster gaps that could very well launch us into being a serious long term contender if we progress like we did last season. If we can finally secure a FA (a KPD?) and a player via trade (ie Bailey Smith) it will go a long way to putting us in that category. We've got a lot of depth atm that might be too good for VFL but just outside the best 23 so there could be a situation where a good player or 2 might be used as trade bait to round out the list and I'd much rather MM have assistance in getting good / fair value in trades if in fact it is not a strong suit of his which I've already mentioned that I have no idea if it is or isn't.
I think you got grilled because you said we needed "someone more assertive to handle and close deals" that would take over from him, not that he needed help. It's one thing to bring a person in for that purpose, it's another to say that it's because the other guy wasn't good enough at it.

Awesome! I thought he would be somewhere in recruitment if returning, but this is a surprise as haven't heard of the role before, but it does seem to suit Roughead the more you think about it. Sam Mitchell said last year that what he has found out becoming senior coach is how much of a role the relationship between player managers and recruiters influence who you are able to pick up. When Schultz went to Colingwood that comment of Sam's was the first thing I thought of, as Schultz was nearly over the line with us several years back, so made me wonder how much Wright's ability to build those connections has enabled him to have such a good record of attracting players (and also making sure he got deals done). Roughead seems a great person to be able to build relationships with managers and players as well. Also I reckon he's also a bit of a nuffy for working on trade strategy etc given his love of American sports. Awesome appointment for both him and the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back