Toast Welcome back, Rough!

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds like the perfect role for Roughy. Player Acquisition Rainmaker.

He’s professional but he’s still got that laidback country boy energy that makes people feel at ease and cared for.

With his history at the club and relationship with Sam I couldn’t think of a better person to put the best foot forward in representing the club.

That said, there’s going to be a lot of pressure on him. He’ll be measured on the quality and quantity of talent he gets over the line, and as we know there can be external forces that influence this stuff that he won’t have control over.

Good luck Roughy! Welcome back!

I love this appointment. Not just because the great man is back but because of the increased focus on free agency and trades. I can’t think of anyone who would do a better job of convincing I potential new recruit to get onboard the hawks train. How could you say no to the Rough after sitting down with him over a frothy??

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I can still remember going down to training at Glenferrie in Clarko's first year at the club. Would have been late in the 2005 season. I happened to catch sight of two young blokes throwing bits of the Glenferrie mud and turf at each other in between training drills while Clarko was addressing the playing group. For some reason, the memory of this has lodged in my brain.

They were two blokes by the names of Lance Franklin and Jarryd Roughead. How far have both of them (plus the club) come since that chilly August morning in 2005.

Welcome back to the club, Roughy. Embrace the club and it will embrace you, and Roughy is a shining example.

Love that he's back, but at the same time I'm getting a bit concerned with the amount of returning legends, and feel like it could start creating the old-boys club which had us at our absolute depths in 2004
Kanye West Laughing GIF

I think you got grilled because you said we needed "someone more assertive to handle and close deals" that would take over from him, not that he needed help. It's one thing to bring a person in for that purpose, it's another to say that it's because the other guy wasn't good enough at it.

Here is what I originally said:
Was my first thought too. Not saying Roughy is the guy but IMO I think MM does need someone more assertive that can handle + close deals at the trade period.

I did clear this up afterwards with Manilla Hawk (see below) but I do understand how it could've been interpreted incorrectly.
MH no need to disagree with me as I think Mark has done a great job assembling our team through the draft. However up until the recent trade period I just feel he has struggled to get deals across the line and some of that might / might not be his fault. I'm very aware that he was left holding the can after the last period of Clarko's reign where we kept trying to top up. If all goes well this season and we take a couple of steps forward then hopefully a climb up the ladder will make us more attractive to oppo players but either way it will be a huge free agency + trade period coming up for him at the end of the year.

Anyways as per my original post I was just stating that maybe brining someone in to do the negotiating might be an option to just let him do what is best which is talent identification. Having said all this I'll self admittedly state that I don't know Mark's personality behind closed doors and for all I know he could actually be a ruthless SOB that just hasn't had the draft collateral to get any major deals done rather than his Sleepy Mark persona he's been labelled with.

Anyways I'm not sure how anyone could be unhappy with the job MM has done assembling the team through the draft thus far but the club has likely realised that he needs assistance when it comes to trade + free agency or for all we know he could've also requested it.

Awesome! I thought he would be somewhere in recruitment if returning, but this is a surprise as haven't heard of the role before, but it does seem to suit Roughead the more you think about it. Sam Mitchell said last year that what he has found out becoming senior coach is how much of a role the relationship between player managers and recruiters influence who you are able to pick up. When Schultz went to Colingwood that comment of Sam's was the first thing I thought of, as Schultz was nearly over the line with us several years back, so made me wonder how much Wright's ability to build those connections has enabled him to have such a good record of attracting players (and also making sure he got deals done). Roughead seems a great person to be able to build relationships with managers and players as well. Also I reckon he's also a bit of a nuffy for working on trade strategy etc given his love of American sports. Awesome appointment for both him and the club.
Just on Schultz to Collingwood, I think his contract offer was quite tantalizing too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't know if anyone saw Air by Ben Affleck last year, but Roughy seems like he could be the type of person whose role aligns with Matt Damon's Sonny Vaccaro. Will be easy to see if he can help us land some big fish in the next few years or not

I like the fact that the club has thought through the issues we have had in recruiting required players from other clubs (and this has been an issue going back to the Clarkson era) and is now trying something different with someone dedicated to focus on that. For mine, it is very good management/leadership. How to run a good business/operation.

And great to see Rough back at the club.

Other reason this is important is due to impending FS choices in the coming years. Ky Burgoyne and Cooper Hodge are both on the fence. Hopefully Rough can grease some wheels there with their dads.
Cooper Hodge can only go father son to Hawthorn, not enough games at Lions.

And before anyone mentions the Brisbane academy...we cannot allow that to happen. If it does we should riot and the club should sit out the season in protest.

Brisbane and North were soft as piss letting Blakey go to Sydney, it cannot happen again. Academy has to exclude ALL players who have a parent that played AFL. Heck exclude all players that had a parent that played amateurs. The academy is meant to get players that otherwise wouldn't play football, not the kids of premiership captains.

And while their at it the Academy should also be limited to after pick 40 like the NGA is.

It’s great to have him back at the club.

Just a question on his role with being the Player Acquisition Manager – Trade and Free Agency.

Will he be responsible for all the player trades and acquiring draft picks at trade time then Mark McKenzie will do the drafting and contacts only (no trading) have I got this right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back