Universal Love Welcome back Sam Mitchell! Signs as an assistant coach for three years

Remove this Banner Ad

I have absolutely no inside running on this but something tells me we will never see Mitchell coach a hawks side.

That's my feeling.

From all accounts, Sam is a very level-headed person who doesn't strike me as an overly sentimental type. He will do what is best for him first and foremost (as he should), which may not necessarily include coming back to Hawthorn under a cloud of expectation just for romanticism's sake.

Been down the boys club path before with , Knights, Judge, Schwab, nibbles at Eade, Ayres, Wallace. Clarko was a breath of fresh air. Do some hard yards somewhere first Sammy. Crazy Vossy was bad enough, would hate to see Mental Mitchell get a run.

Like Matthews? Remember how much we hoped for this but he was too busy winning premierships for Brisbane. However, can’t complain...we got Clarko.

Glad we never got Lethal as a coach. He would have come as part of a rebuild and I don't think it's his forte. Somewhat at Collingwood, but he inherited a bloody decent list and put some finishing pieces to it. The Lions struggled after 2004 and Lethal headed for the exists when the rebuild was needed. I don't think he had it in him. Doubt he would have had success at Hawthorn as a coach at the time he was possibly going to come on board.

I would be tentative about ever hiring a favourite son to coach - but Mitchell is the big exception I feel.

Especially in the midst of our horror run with duds like Knights, Judge & Schwab
Judge wasn't a dud. He was a list clearer & builder, but not a finisher. Handed over the foundations to Schwab that made a prelim and to Worsfold that went on to win a premiership.

It’ll come down to where he feels he could make the biggest impact, culturally and on the scoreboard.

The HFC is Clarko’s creation, through and through — with very little, if not zero, room for interpretation. To assist Clarko would be to embrace the notion of maintaining a legacy and preserving the status quo.

Mitchell is not a supplicant. He’s a Clarko. In other words, he would desire his own oval-shaped canvas on which to create.

Having said all of that, the romantic in me would love to see Mitch and Clarko as conjoined twins, redecorating all the coaches boxes.

I'd prefer Mitchell to go to St Kilda as an assistant than the Blues

He's already done a stint under someone he's worked with before who learned from Clarko, Bolton isn't going to round him out any more than Simpson

if he wants to go to a down club may as well be under a coach that comes from a different tree, he will learn more that way even if its just what not to do

He's been at two successful professional clubs with similar coaching philosophies, an assistant at St Kilda and then a stint as a VFL head coach or equivalent would really round him out

As far as the he must coach at Hawthorn and nowhere else, that kind of attitude worked out so well with Hird and Voss and Buckly

Sure Bucks looks like he is going ok now but I reckon the Pies wasted a chance at competing in 2012-13 to make sure nobody else got Buckley

He’ll get offered a senior role very quickly. Must snap him up now.
Would he like the ones which might be on offer? A senior assistants role at a well run club like Richmond or Collingwood would be safer than the Senior coach role at a struggling club.

Unlike in America senior coaches really only get one bite of the cherry unless they are successful. Who would like to take over the Carlton or St Kilda list and turn it around in 3 years? With neither being flavour du jour of the media you would be under immense pressure from the media, even though you may be meeting club benchmarks.

Essendon would be the interesting one. A possible senior assistants role plus a succession plan to follow Worsfold. Not many of the banned ones left, but Sam's jab gesture might still be remembered.

Both Bolton and Richardson are signed up for 2 more years. Saints certainly couldn't afford to pay out Richo without AFL assistance, Blues with record membership and well off coterie might.

Sounds like Saints are moving on some assistants, probably Blues too. All will be revealed soon, as assistant coaches have to be notified before August 1 whether or not their contracts will be renewed.

For Sam to leave after 1 year of a 4 year contract it seems probable that something may already be lined up. It is hard to believe that
Sam would sign anywhere without checking out the facilities and meeting the stakeholders, club officials, staff and players. There has been no whisper of meetings with other clubs so I'm hopeful he would be more likely to sign with us than others. Of course their could be family reasons for the move back East.

In his first year as an assistant Sam has been very successful with what most people consider to be an ordinary West Coast midfield. So he has runs on the board as well as being a favourite son returning home. I see the media are trying to push him to the Saints. Iimagine the media melts if we land him.

Bring him back to Hawthorn.

Assistant under Clarko for a couple of seasons as a succession plan.

Jeff loved Mitchell!
Dunstall loved Mitchell
80k Hawks members loved Mitchell

Premierships love Mitchell

Signed, sealed & awaiting delivery
Yep, all those people loved Mitch including me. The problem is the most important group for a coach is the players and the jury’s out as to whether Mitch can lead a group of men to the required standard to be a great senior coach.

He's already done a stint under someone he's worked with before who learned from Clarko, Bolton isn't going to round him out any more than Simpson

if he wants to go to a down club may as well be under a coach that comes from a different tree, he will learn more that way even if its just what not to do

He's been at two successful professional clubs with similar coaching philosophies, an assistant at St Kilda and then a stint as a VFL head coach or equivalent would really round him out

As far as the he must coach at Hawthorn and nowhere else, that kind of attitude worked out so well with Hird and Voss and Buckly

Sure Bucks looks like he is going ok now but I reckon the Pies wasted a chance at competing in 2012-13 to make sure nobody else got Buckley

If Sam goes to St Kilda I dare say he’ll be acting head coach by about round 10 next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam had a 4 year deal at Eagles which started when he moved there in 2017 for his playing year.

He is now in year 2 of that contract.

Not year 1.
What do you think Davo-27
Is it a 4 or 5 yr deal as it was negotiated in 2016

They say we learn best from failure..... in which case working at St.Kilda could be a learning goldmine for Mitch.

Usually I wouldn’t want an extra player to come back to coach for obvious reasons but Mitchell has got his head screwed on very tightly and always seemed to have a good understanding of the game. Although there will be better offers out there as Clarke will be there for a while and even when he leaves depending on how far away that is, he will be replaced by someone that has been working under him for longer

St Kilda going very hard for him as they look to overhaul their coaching group.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Indeed.

St Kilda are going to give Richardson one last chance but basically replace the group of assistants around him, akin to what Richmond did with Hardwick prior to the 2017 season and Collingwood with Buckley prior to this season. Mitchell is part of this.

It's way too early for a head coaching role for Sammy, I really hope he goes to someone like Carlton or Saints to further learn his craft.

And I really hope he returns but realistically he will be in the highest demand in a few years and will choose whatever is best for him. If that lines up with HFC and Clarko exiting then great, but I won't be holding my breath.

Yep, all those people loved Mitch including me. The problem is the most important group for a coach is the players and the jury’s out as to whether Mitch can lead a group of men to the required standard to be a great senior coach.

He commanded men on the field there is no reason that it can’t correlate to off field coaching.
He has an articulate manner with clear comprehension of what he would want & I couldn’t see him being afraid to speak his mind.
Given he has existing relationships at the club might make it a bit weird but I’m sure the professionalism of everyone involved would be enough to have a familiar but now a new voice come through to the playing group.
He will be a success. Hands down!
I would hate to think we missed the boat because Mitch had ties that were to close to the club

Indeed.

St Kilda are going to give Richardson one last chance but basically replace the group of assistants around him, akin to what Richmond did with Hardwick prior to the 2017 season and Collingwood with Buckley prior to this season. Mitchell is part of this.
Yep, this is exactly what I've heard

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back