Universal Love Welcome back Sam Mitchell! Signs as an assistant coach for three years

Lord_Espos

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
49ers, Mets, Pistons, B.Bruins.
My biggest concern is that Sam has only coached in one other system for a year only.

Sometimes good to get a broader base of experience before coming home.

Bramax

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Kelly is contracted to Geelong so he couldn't 'choose to go to Freo'; he could ask to be traded to Freo. He had no power to make it happen.

Eagles offered 2x 2018 1st Round Picks + 2019 2nd Round Pick. They tried to offer MASSIVE overs, but again, Kelly is contracted to Geelong & Geelong wanted 3x 1st (2x 2018 + 2019 1st).

Not sure why you think Kelly had so much power. Geelong had all the power & in the end - albeit stupidly - they wielded it & kept their contracted player.
I thought Cats asked for pick 20 (end of first round) and pick 22 (second round pick) and 2019 first round pick? And I thought Eagles would only part with pick 20 and 22 plus 2019 second round pick.

Bramax

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pick 20 + 22 + 2019 2nd was offered.

Now 20 + 22 aren't great as far as '1st Rounders' go, but they're good picks all the same.

2019 2nd is likely 30ish, so it was 20 + 22 + 30ish next year. A lot betyer than what they'll actually get for him next year.
Whoever wants Kelly next year still has to trade for him.

Does anyone know which actual role he has? Is it midfield with Burns?

There's Midfield Coach and Stoppage Coach which are different.

Just makes me unsure of what Glass/Newman/Yze will be doing; assuming Yze is still forward line coach?

My biggest concern is that Sam has only coached in one other system for a year only.

I'd be concerned but he coached a midfield unit who engineered a premiership, including the consecutive shutting down of the two best rucks in the competition with 2 genuine battlers.

His coaching was good enough to get West Coast an end of first round pick for Lycett.

The only concern I have is his oft talked about difficulty with people management, hopefully he's improved that as the West Coast boys seem to love him.

He did say he'd rather play in the WAFL than play for Freo. Not sure if it was grandstanding on his behalf but thats what he said

I’m sure he’d think a bit differently once he saw the size of the change on his payslip

But there's no way that our Football Dept. doesn't & agree with this so I'm 100% confident that we're mitigating the negative effect of it

Sure, Sam has had only one year coaching experience. But consider this: What has made Clarko such a good coach? Is it that he had coached previously in a number of different systems that he could draw on all these ideas to come up with his own composite style? Or is it because Clarko is a thinker and does it his way, drawing on whatever he sees that might be applicable?

I tend to think Sam is one of the thinkers. He will not have lost much not having gone to Box Hill or Casey or West Adelaide first.

Adam Simpson went directly from player to Assistant Coach under Clarko. Then directly to WCE. Four years in one system. No VFL, SANFL, WAFL. Studied under one coach only.

I think Sam will do just fine.

Back