Universal Love Welcome back Sam Mitchell! Signs as an assistant coach for three years

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure, Sam has had only one year coaching experience. But consider this: What has made Clarko such a good coach? Is it that he had coached previously in a number of different systems that he could draw on all these ideas to come up with his own composite style? Or is it because Clarko is a thinker and does it his way, drawing on whatever he sees that might be applicable?

I tend to think Sam is one of the thinkers. He will not have lost much not having gone to Box Hill or Casey or West Adelaide first.

Adam Simpson went directly from player to Assistant Coach under Clarko. Then directly to WCE. Four years in one system. No VFL, SANFL, WAFL. Studied under one coach only.

I think Sam will do just fine.

Loved listening to Sam break parts of the game down during the grand final recalls on Fox. You can just tell his ability to read the game is at the same level as his ability to think about the game. I have zero doubt that he’ll make a fantastic senior coach and I couldn’t be happier his footy mind is back within the confines of our club.

Loved listening to Sam break parts of the game down during the grand final recalls on Fox. You can just tell his ability to read the game is at the same level as his ability to think about the game. I have zero doubt that he’ll make a fantastic senior coach and I couldn’t be happier his footy mind is back within the confines of our club.
I just started crying

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s gone from a line coach to an oppo analyst.

I’d take the latter job to be honest. We lost our opposition analyst a few years back to Freo and he was apparently well regarded. It could be that Yze wants to follow a different career path than head coach and this is his next step.

Our frwd line structure was a mess most of the 2018 season but thanks to Breust and gunston it faired better than it actually was. Yze was our frwd line coach. And now he isn’t . Line coaches DO get more in their contract so I’m with TylerDurden on this one, demotion.

Sammy midfield
Glass defence
Burns Forwads
Newman Stoppages
Yze - matchday strategy and oppo analysis (new role)
Great hopes for a second year line coach! Just hope he doesn't step on any toes, but was really impressed with his gameday nous in turning things around during a game. The first match against the Pies the midfield had to be reset after NicNat went down early. Mission accomplished! Then the Pies match in Perth when the Eagles stormed home in the last quarter. Yeo credits Sam's 3/4 time spray, then advice, for the turn around.

Sam can be prickly but I always thought he could be a great coach. Will be good that he has a relatively young group to work with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back