Universal Love Welcome back Sam Mitchell! Signs as an assistant coach for three years

Can’t believe people are actually arguing with TD here.

If Yze made the move by his own then good on him, but it’s in no way a promotion towards a senior coaching role.

Can’t believe people are actually arguing with TD here.

If Yze made the move by his own then good on him, but it’s in no way a promotion towards a senior coaching role.

It's definitely a demotion, Yze has never struck me as a future senior coach anyway.

Mojo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2007
Beaumaris
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There was no room for Sam Mitchell. We had to shuffle the decks as we’d already promoted Newman to an assistant coach.

This. I reckon.

Still an assistant coach. Still on the same pay salary (presumably). Just a different role; and a more varied CV.

I strongly doubt he considers this anything other then a positive.

Carl Spackler

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It's definitely a demotion, Yze has never struck me as a future senior coach anyway.

Demotion? I reckon you’re missing the picture here. Game day tactics and scouting? This is a step up in Hawthorn’s game day capabilities. Which other team has made the room for a coach to full time consider opponent specific tactics? Not as an also job but as a sole focus.

Now the line and stoppages coaches can concentrate on skills and positioning while Yze can plan offensive movements and strategies by opponents and defensive setups as well. Film can be cut to show players exactly what is effective in each situation.

I reckon it’s a great innovation and you’ll see all AFL teams following suit in the next three years.

BobDay

Senior List
Feb 2, 2010
City
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Why Clarkson is such a great coach is his capacity to build the right coaching panel and to let it evolve.
Clearly he regards Yze as an important part of that panel and club dynamic.
Equally clearly he wanted Sam Mitchell to be part of it.
The interesting thing is that Caroline Wilson who is usually pretty well-informed on such things is also clearly of a view that Mitchell is being groomed as a replacement for Clarkson.
I was always of the view that Hodge would be the better coach. But perhaps in the cold hard light of day Sam Mitchell might prove to be the one.
Whatever the situation it is also clear the club is in the best position to know these things and in
the best position to set the future up... whichever way they choose to go.
For what it's worth I don't think Clarko has definitively made up his mind, but Sam being at Hawthorn is a win-win as far as he is concerned and as far as the club is concerned.
You only have to look at what is going on at Manchester United and other clubs worldwide who have had ' Napoleonic' generation coaches to see how difficult these transitions can be.
I think it is fantastic the way Hawthorn are managing this.
Viva les Hawks

Feb 11, 2004
I'm Liv'n in the 70's
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill , BulleenTemp.
Luke Hodge has one of the best tactical minds in the game but Sam will make better coach, in that he has a more complete skill set.
Just like his playing Sam prepares meticulously. From Management studies to communication techniques, the next little chief has been acquiring all the pre requisites to step into the top job.

My fantasy is to see Hodgey back in our coaches box in a tactical and development role whilst Sammy steers the ship.

That said the current bloke in the wheel house is still going OK

Luke Hodge has one of the best tactical minds in the game but Sam will make better coach, in that he has a more complete skill set.
Just like his playing Sam prepares meticulously. From Management studies to communication techniques, the next little chief has been acquiring all the pre requisites to step into the top job.

My fantasy is to see Hodgey back in our coaches box in a tactical and development role whilst Sammy steers the ship.

They'd make different coaches, but I don't think Sam would necessarily be better as he can be a difficult bloke to get along with - or at least he could previously.

That being said - I don't think the end game for Hodge will be coaching, I reckon we'd be more likely to see him in a commentary capacity.

They'd make different coaches, but I don't think Sam would necessarily be better as he can be a difficult bloke to get along with - or at least he could previously.

That being said - I don't think the end game for Hodge will be coaching, I reckon we'd be more likely to see him in a commentary capacity.
When you can make the same money working 20-30 hours a week as a senior assistant coach who works 60-70 hours a week, and your job security isn't tied to win/loss records, I can understand why Hodgey would wanna go down this road.

11sjw

Cancelled
10k Posts Armchair Endzone Participant
May 13, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Meh

Also, AFL came easily (in relative terms) to Hodgey whereas Mitch had to work to get it. He understands what it would take for the average player to get there and can guide accordingly.

Sep 22, 2008
Noosa
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
When you can make the same money working 20-30 hours a week as a senior assistant coach who works 60-70 hours a week, and your job security isn't tied to win/loss records, I can understand why Hodgey would wanna go down this road.
Look at the article written about Ponting and Katich being to expensive for Cricket Australia today.
Hodge will be the same once he hangs up the boots. In demand, high price, family time etc

Back