News Welcome back to Carlton Ian Prendergast

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"

THE Carlton Football Club is pleased to announce the appointment of former player and current Rugby League Players’ Association CEO Ian Prendergast to the role of Chief Commercial Officer & General Counsel.

Prendergast returns to the Blues having established a highly credentialled resume in both sports administration and the legal industry.

Looks to have a good legal background, but I don't see clear evidence of commercial skills (sponsors, partnerships etc).

I guess his experience in AFL and rugby landscapes would have given him some exposure to the orgs that do business with sporting codes.

Will see how he goes.

This is Liddle's bread-and-butter, so I assume he would pick the right person for the role.

The role has been vacant since April since Sam Eustice left for the Chief Commercial Operations role at Swimming Australia. Eustice seemed to have had a strong operations background.

So the club has certainly taken its time to find the right candidate.

I still see a lot of legal/advocacy/negotiating in Prendo's CV but not much direct commercial experience. Then again, my brain naturally sees gaps/risks. Anyway, enough of that from me.

I wish him the best. I remember when we drafted him. It's silly to think that an ex-Carlton player would do a better job than someone else, but I can't help feel nostalgic when I see a former Blue back at the club. All the best, Prendo!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When I saw his tweet yesterday announcing he was leaving the RLPA my immediate thought was "is he coming back to Carlton?" Not with any particular position in mind, but I just thought it was strange that he would be leaving his CEO role with the RLPA, where he has been highly rated for his efforts in negotiating the best enterprise bargaining agreement NRL players have ever had.

I'm confident he brings a very strong skill set to our club & as an ex-player will only want what is best for the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back