Player Watch Lachy Keeffe (Delisted 2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Keefe will surprise a few next year and be a middle of the pack KPD who can pinch hit in the rucks.

I think Keefe will surprise a few next year and be a middle of the pack KPD who can pinch hit in the rucks.
He'll have needed to improve a lot to be a usable ruck option, even as a pinch hitter. Also, using a key back as a ruck back up never makes sense to me.

If we send Grundy forward to swap with White or Cox, he still requires a defender and could kick a goal.

If Keeffe is in the team I think it's as one of our two best KPDs in the 22. So does Grundy go play on a KPF? Who might then start working him up and down the ground? Or just become a focal point?

Or do Howe or Langdon or similar move onto a KPF and Grundy plays as a third defender/loose man across half back?

Or do we send White back to cover Keeffe's role in defence and Grundy goes forward? In which case we'd be better to just put White into the ruck, as he's much better at it than Keeffe.

I don't think a KPD/ruck makes sense in any team, but particularly not ours, given the personnel involved.

He'll have needed to improve a lot to be a usable ruck option, even as a pinch hitter. Also, using a key back as a ruck back up never makes sense to me.

If we send Grundy forward to swap with White or Cox, he still requires a defender and could kick a goal.

If Keeffe is in the team I think it's as one of our two best KPDs in the 22. So does Grundy go play on a KPF? Who might then start working him up and down the ground? Or just become a focal point?

Or do Howe or Langdon or similar move onto a KPF and Grundy plays as a third defender/loose man across half back?

Or do we send White back to cover Keeffe's role in defence and Grundy goes forward? In which case we'd be better to just put White into the ruck, as he's much better at it than Keeffe.

I don't think a KPD/ruck makes sense in any team, but particularly not ours, given the personnel involved.
It will just mean we have White as CHF rather than Cox. When Grundy has a rest on the bench Keefe pinch hits in the ruck allowing us to maintain our forward structure.

It will just mean we have White as CHF rather than Cox. When Grundy has a rest on the bench Keefe pinch hits in the ruck allowing us to maintain our forward structure.
So we compromise our defensive structure so we can maintain our forward structure? That makes no sense. It's much better to have a slightly weakened forward structure that might not score for a few minutes than a significantly weakened defensive structure that could leak unneccessary goals.

Terrible idea.

Has Keeffe ever played in the Ruck at AFL Level? I think Moore has Rucked more at AFL level then Keeffe

I reckon he was coming along before he got banned, you guys have weird memories. Also can kick the ball pretty nicely and is a great size. He's in his prime age wise, pre season under his belt and next year into the following could be anything. PRAY to the gods he comes good next year because we need it!

So we compromise our defensive structure so we can maintain our forward structure? That makes no sense. It's much better to have a slightly weakened forward structure that might not score for a few minutes than a significantly weakened defensive structure that could leak unneccessary goals.

Terrible idea.
Are you incapable of having a half decent conversation without being rude?

I said he CAN pinch-hit in the ruck, not he SHOULD, or he WILL. As long as he can maintain a semi-neutral outcome at contests then he has done his job.

Also there's nothing wrong with compromising defence by letting him pinch-hit in the rucks, as he's essentially following his direct opponent, a forward pinch hitter to the contests. The defence will be weakened at the same time as the opposition's forward is at its worst level of potency.

Are you incapable of having a half decent conversation without being rude?

I said he CAN pinch-hit in the ruck, not he SHOULD, or he WILL. As long as he can maintain a semi-neutral outcome at contests then he has done his job.

Also there's nothing wrong with compromising defence by letting him pinch-hit in the rucks, as he's essentially following his direct opponent, a forward pinch hitter to the contests. The defence will be weakened at the same time as the opposition's forward is at its worst level of potency.
And who plays on the ruckman that's running around in their forward line?

I say it how I see it. I think that having a defender pinch hitting in the ruck is a terrible idea. Sorry if that offends you.

My recollection of Keeffe:
- Tall and lanky.
- Average mark, tends to drop a few.
- Excellent mobility and endurance for a 204 cm KPP.
- Excellent kick.
- Fantastic side step.
- Works hard.
- Doesn't have a great leap.
- Good grasp of defensive structures.
- Has had little success forward.
- Excellent team man.

Well I am going to expect pretty much the same!

He owes us for sticking by him and I think he will be a regular senior member in 2017 and beyond....will be great to see Keeffe continue from his good season he had in 2014.

What a ridiculous comment
He is a big spud so it's not rediculous at all, if we had a half decent backline he wouldn't even be getting spoken about but because he's been missing for years he's being talked up again. Seem familiar? It will only take a few games in 2017 before you remember again how s**t he is again.

- Tall and lanky.
- Excellent kick.
- Fantastic side step.
- Works hard.
- Excellent team man.

Excellent kick? Wow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And who plays on the ruckman that's running around in their forward line?

I say it how I see it. I think that having a defender pinch hitting in the ruck is a terrible idea. Sorry if that offends you.

Like I stated, it's only an option. It doesn't work in every case, no strategy works in every scenario.

The situation to play Keefe as KPD who pinch hits in the rucks would be when we play against:

Adelaide: Plays on Jenkins when he rotates into the rucks with Jacobs being on the bench.
Essendon: Plays on Daniher with Leunburger on the bench
Fremantle: Plays on Clarke/Griffin/Apeness with Sandilands on the bench
Gold Coast: Plays on Peter Wright with Nichols...
North Melbourne: Plays on Daw with Godlstein...
Richmond: Plays on Griffith with Hampson...
Stkilda: Plays on Bruce with Hickey...
Western Bulldogs: Playys on Boyd when Roughhead is on the bench

The commonality is the existence of a primary ruck who has historically shown to be incompetent as a forward.

As you can see, I have identified at least 8 oppositions that creates the need for a pinch hitting KPD.

Other clubs haven't done it for multiple reasons.

(1) The resistance to experimentation
(2) The lack of ideal candidate for this role, either the KPD lacks height or endurance

Although, Jordan Roughhead from WBD and Jackson Trengrove from Port are successful cases of KPD who revived his career after entering ruck contests.

You simply stating that it is a terrible idea without thoroughly explaining why contributes nothing to the discussion, and it also illustrates some degree of incompetence.

Has Keeffe ever played in the Ruck at AFL Level? I think Moore has Rucked more at AFL level then Keeffe

Once or twice in 2012, relieving from the forward line for Wood.

And there might have been a certain elimination final that I have blocked from my memory...

- Tall and lanky.
- Excellent kick.
- Fantastic side step.
- Works hard.
- Excellent team man.

+1, only ones I'd add is that he tends to panic when caught out 1v1 and is very prone to giving away stupid free kicks.

Once or twice in 2012, relieving from the forward line for Wood.

And there might have been a certain elimination final that I have blocked from my memory...

That elimination final never happened.

I paid good money to someone who claimed they could selectively erase memories and I got a package deal bundling my first girlfriend, second boyfriend and the entirety of Aqua's back catalogue.

The fact I still cant get "Barbie Girl" out of my head is no indication that the treatment failed. I have no recollection of it at all.

*sigh* Heath...*sigh*

He's a big spud.

At least you've elaborated by explaining your concerns about Keeffe whilst remaining respectful. Nice job man! :rainbow::drunk::rainbow::drunk:

- Tall and lanky.
- Excellent kick.
- Fantastic side step.
- Works hard.
- Excellent team man.

Think the bolded is the key qualification to bear in mind. When he last played, he didn't have anything like the tank to play in the ruck and was destroyed by halfway through the game. Is he likely to be substantially fitter now after two years out of the game?

He is a big spud so it's not rediculous at all, if we had a half decent backline he wouldn't even be getting spoken about but because he's been missing for years he's being talked up again. Seem familiar? It will only take a few games in 2017 before you remember again how s**t he is again.
What you say may be right it does not give you the right to call anyone a spud can you please be more civil in your criticism

Like I stated, it's only an option. It doesn't work in every case, no strategy works in every scenario.

The situation to play Keefe as KPD who pinch hits in the rucks would be when we play against:

Adelaide: Plays on Jenkins when he rotates into the rucks with Jacobs being on the bench.
Essendon: Plays on Daniher with Leunburger on the bench
Fremantle: Plays on Clarke/Griffin/Apeness with Sandilands on the bench
Gold Coast: Plays on Peter Wright with Nichols...
North Melbourne: Plays on Daw with Godlstein...
Richmond: Plays on Griffith with Hampson...
Stkilda: Plays on Bruce with Hickey...
Western Bulldogs: Playys on Boyd when Roughhead is on the bench

The commonality is the existence of a primary ruck who has historically shown to be incompetent as a forward.

As you can see, I have identified at least 8 oppositions that creates the need for a pinch hitting KPD.

Other clubs haven't done it for multiple reasons.

(1) The resistance to experimentation
(2) The lack of ideal candidate for this role, either the KPD lacks height or endurance

Although, Jordan Roughhead from WBD and Jackson Trengrove from Port are successful cases of KPD who revived his career after entering ruck contests.

You simply stating that it is a terrible idea without thoroughly explaining why contributes nothing to the discussion, and it also illustrates some degree of incompetence.
And you think that opposition teams won't simply plan for Keeffe being in the ruck and us having a compromised defence?

Please....

Never mind the fact that Keeffe is a freaking awful ruckman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back