Universal Love Welcome BACK to Hawthorn: Andy Collins - Head of development

Interesting recruit @ age 56.
That is relatively old to come into the system.
Certainly a good Hawthorn man with 3 flags.
Was an assistant at the Saints from 2000 to 2003, then the same at Hawthorn 2004 and 2005

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Great appointment this. A wise and trusted supporter for Sam but also someone with some of those softer people skills that aren’t Sam’s strongest points.

Did you listen to the Andy video?
While people might be holding on to the perception of Sam from his playing days, those watching him now describe a VERY different approach to player relationships.

SuperSic

All Australian
Oct 16, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
A brilliant appointment. Just watching the interview the Hawks posted you can tell immediately that Andy is a wonderful person and will be perfect for this young group.

I also agree with Flinchfree, we really need to let go of the perception that Sam is still the brutal Sam Mitchell from his playing days. He had grown and developed significantly since his early days at Hawthorn and this is highlighted by Andy in his interview.

I’m getting really excited about this new Hawthorn era!

Dec 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man City, Box Hill Hawks

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
Words fail me ...... YES!
Tough as nails Hawthorn back pocket.
Reckon he will get along real well with Blake Hardwick.

Both from Doncaster too.

Charchi

Team Captain
Mar 16, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Really happy with this appointment.

The club gave him the retired no.5, that is how highly he was thought of as a player, also I remember seeing him on the Monday after the '88 or '89 GF going for a run around Wheelers Hill, absolute professional.

CaptainWorpedo

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I met Mitch late in his playing career with the Hawks. It was after a game, he was talking to his wife on the phone, on the way to the bus. He asked his wife to hold for a minute, said Hello and signed my scarf. Was really down to earth and genuine, the man has developed his off field game a lot. I am a fan of Sam i am. 👍👍

Always good to see a former Hawks champion return to the fold. The only thing I'm concerned about was when he coached West Adelaide in the SANFL, he was far too negative. Still, this is a different role and I wish him well.
When was that?

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
When was that?

He coached West Adelaide from 2009 to 2013. Had reasonable success getting them to a Grand Final in 2012 and third in 2013, but in the three finals he played against my club Norwood, I thought he didn't help himself by being way too defensive. In the 2012 2nd Semi, they kicked 2-5 to 8-13, and in the Grand Final kicked 3-12 to 12-7. The following year in the 2nd semi, they kicked 6-8 to 14-16.

He coached West Adelaide from 2009 to 2013. Had reasonable success getting them to a Grand Final in 2012 and third in 2013, but in the three finals he played against my club Norwood, I thought he didn't help himself by being way too defensive. In the 2012 2nd Semi, they kicked 2-5 to 8-13, and in the Grand Final kicked 3-12 to 12-7. The following year in the 2nd semi, they kicked 6-8 to 14-16.
Hoping strategy isn't his job then!

*did playing that way get them to the GF & 3rd when they otherwise wouldn't have though?

Back