Coach Welcome back to Hawthorn - David Hale! - Assistant coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't mean to be a pain & hope you're right, but, at best, a good move, I would have thought.

Is there something in his resume which suggests he, really, does bring something 'out of the ordinary'.

I like the fact he wants to work w the big fellas & he and 'Monky' should team well together, as required, too. I also like the fact he's coming home & after working w some different systems & coaches, but I'd hardly say it was an inspired choice.

Just trying to temper expectations.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can't remember the last time our forwards had so much space to work with. Nice to see them not getting in eachothers way, making space and constantly on the move.

Is Hale, as our forward line coach, getting enough credit?
The thing about Hale is that he wasn't exactly an athletic beast but he had two great qualities as a player

1. He was as hard as a cat's head which allowed him to be very useful in ruck contests as he would follow up and act as the biggest rover I have ever seen dishing out the ball from the bottom of a pack

2. He had great forward craft. He wasn't just a big lumbering ruckman filling in time in the forward line, he actually knew where to lead, when to lead, etc. He was a true ruck/forward which is very rare.

The second point is what makes me think he would be a great forward line coach. He would be giving Lewis plenty of gr at advice on leading patterns, etc.

Can't remember the last time our forwards had so much space to work with. Nice to see them not getting in eachothers way, making space and constantly on the move.

Always knew there was a good footy brain in that big ole melon of his.

David-Hale.JPG

You beat me to it. It's the best forward line setup I've seen for a few years. And to think he came from Freo...

It does help having a footballing genius in Jack Gunston back. I don't think it's any coincidence Mitch Lewis is having a breakout year with Gunners next to him.

The thing about Hale is that he wasn't exactly an athletic beast but he had two great qualities as a player

1. He was as hard as a cat's head which allowed him to be very useful in ruck contests as he would follow up and act as the biggest rover I have ever seen dishing out the ball from the bottom of a pack

2. He had great forward craft. He wasn't just a big lumbering ruckman filling in time in the forward line, he actually knew where to lead, when to lead, etc. He was a true ruck/forward which is very rare.

The second point is what makes me think he would be a great forward line coach. He would be giving Lewis plenty of gr at advice on leading patterns, etc.
There's a third thing.

He was a very smart footballer. Watch how he'd combat Sandilands or Naitanui. Blocked where they'd run or jump.

I reckon Sam likes smart footballers.

We are keeping our forwards spread out and holding positional width/depth as the ball is moved forward.
It makes sense bc we have some of the best 1 on 1 forwards in the league in Gunston, Breust, Wingard...and Lewis is on his way.
It also makes sense tactically to keep defenders away from each other.
MUCH better than the long bomb to forwards running backwards so we can lock it in.
Mitchell is looking to optimise conversion rather than retention.
I find this much more attractive and intuitively feel it will be more effective overall at winning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was just thinking yesterday he needs a Summer project. Like turning Meek into himself!

A matter of time before other clubs come knocking for his services.

It may take more to get him out of the club then a normal assistant coach that apart from his current coaching role had no form affiliation with the club. Where Hale is a former Player also with 100 games and 3 Premierships with us and played with the current coach.

Definitely has the Midas Touch.

Quite a remarkable transformation of our midfield, time from problem worst in the league to top 5 in space of a year!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back