Coach Welcome back to Hawthorn - David Hale! - Assistant coach

Coached the Dockers' forwards. McRae was forwards coach last season and has gone to Collingwood. I assume that Hale will slot into the same role with Hawthorn as he held with the Dockers.

I know there is argument for having "new blood" in the club, but I love that we have a guy like Hale coming in who knows what a successful club looks and feels like.
He lived it.

I know there is argument for having "new blood" in the club, but I love that we have a guy like Hale coming in who knows what a successful club looks and feels like.
He lived it.

Can't imagine any new guy would know forward craft and coaching as much as the glue-guy who lined up besides Franklin, Rough, Cyril, Gunston, Breust and Puopolo. Also kicked 8 goals on Matty Scarlett let's not forget.

Nov 13, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Why is everyone so excited about having Hale back as a coach?
Gave the club excellent service, but haven't heard much or seen the results of his coaching abilities.

What's the goss?

toomanysquibs

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2006
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Why is everyone so excited about having Hale back as a coach?
Gave the club excellent service, but haven't heard much or seen the results of his coaching abilities.

What's the goss?

I always thought he was a clever player, who achieved a long way above his natural ability. There were plenty of rucks who were more agile, bigger leap, faster etc. Hale was a better forward than 99.5 percent of them. Heck, maybe he was better than all of them at his peak.

Commetti opened commentary of the 2015 GF with a pretty good line "Mr. Chalk and Mr. Cheese" at the first center bounce as Nic Nat and Hale went at it.

The thing is, Nic Nat is far more ballistic, bigger leap, much better runner etc. Yet Hale has him covered for goals comfortably (110 vs 200 plus).

My guess is Hale brings a lot in terms of what it takes to squeeze all of your natural ability out, and smarts as a forward. he had a front row seat to the Buddy, Cyril and Roughhead show too.

Historically outsiders have brought the most success to Hawthorn (Clarkson, Jeans etc.). Big success can lead to large egos taking over clubs and people having trouble distinguishing coaching ability from past player performance (Blues, Scum, Lions for a long time too). But given the type of player Sam was, he seems to be leaning towards guys who had to work harder, smarter and more relentlessly than their peers while they were players.

If the playing group can understand/buy into this, and the coaches are all effective communicators... no reason why it wouldn't succeed very, very well.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Can't imagine any new guy would know forward craft and coaching as much as the glue-guy who lined up besides Franklin, Rough, Cyril, Gunston, Breust and Puopolo. Also kicked 8 goals on Matty Scarlett let's not forget.

Always turned up against Geelong, did Hale.

Back