Coach Welcome back to Hawthorn - David Hale! - Assistant coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Always turned up against Geelong, did Hale.

I have a feeling that performances against Geelong and us were two of the main drivers for who we recruited over those years.

Last edited:
I always thought he was a clever player, who achieved a long way above his natural ability. There were plenty of rucks who were more agile, bigger leap, faster etc. Hale was a better forward than 99.5 percent of them. Heck, maybe he was better than all of them at his peak.

Commetti opened commentary of the 2015 GF with a pretty good line "Mr. Chalk and Mr. Cheese" at the first center bounce as Nic Nat and Hale went at it.

The thing is, Nic Nat is far more ballistic, bigger leap, much better runner etc. Yet Hale has him covered for goals comfortably (110 vs 200 plus).

My guess is Hale brings a lot in terms of what it takes to squeeze all of your natural ability out, and smarts as a forward. he had a front row seat to the Buddy, Cyril and Roughhead show too.

Agree with this.

When Hale was recruited to the club, I didn’t know much about him apart from being a high draft pick and a someone who perhaps hadn’t fulfilled external expectations.

He didn’t seem to have outstanding athletic qualities so I was kind of expecting a depth player.

As you say, he was a very clever and consistent player both in ruck and up forward. Rarely got badly exposed or dominated even against far superior athletes.

We have got a lot of young talls at the moment so if Hale can fast track their development and impart craft and effort, that would be massive for the club.

Always turned up against Geelong, did Hale.

Can't like this enough. He was always good against the cats. My best mate's a Cats fan and he really rated Hale, simply because he always saw him at his best.

Great to have the big fella back at the club.

The classic 2013 prelim against the Cats - a Hale bump in the middle of the ground in the dying minutes was as important as any moment in the game
As important as any moment in the 3peat. Was enormous.

Welcome back Hale.
Geez he was a great pick-up and instrumental in our 3-Peat years.
Really looking forward to his time at Hawthorn in a coaching capacity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you remember when he played a landmark game and grabbed his boys and ran through the banner but left his left girl behind and she started crying and superman Sammy Mitchell scooped her up.

It was a pretty shocking oversite when you think about it.

On SM-A326B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Do you remember when he played a landmark game and grabbed his boys and ran through the banner but left his left girl behind and she started crying and superman Sammy Mitchell scooped her up.

It was a pretty shocking oversite when you think about it.

On SM-A326B using BigFooty.com mobile app
He couldn't see her all the way down there.

Do we think freos forward line overperformed, underperformed or did just an on par effort?

Interested what people think, I am in the first part but only saw 5-6 games.

Do we think freos forward line overperformed, underperformed or did just an on par effort?

Didn’t watch much of their games, but to be honest Hale didn’t have much to work with due injuries etc.

Cupboard was pretty bare but I was quite impressed with the development of Taberner ever since Hale started coaching Freo.

Turned him from a spud to a pretty serviceable key post.

I heard we are looking into Jaymie Graham, any other names? We desperately need an elite midfield coach
The main coach is pretty decent at that.

Did he have anything to do with Josh Treacy that could be the steal of last years draft
Thought I might have look at him after your post. Loves body contact. Went missing in a lot of Freos games but they certainly pumped games into him this year. Hale would have loved is aggression I suspect. Copped a hefty early season suspension as well.

Can't imagine any new guy would know forward craft and coaching as much as the glue-guy who lined up besides Franklin, Rough, Cyril, Gunston, Breust and Puopolo. Also kicked 8 goals on Matty Scarlett let's not forget.
strong logic

Remove this Banner Ad

Back