News Welcome back Wallsy

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sure Walls will have his best intentions in regards to helping the club.

It's just that all of our problems of the past have come about from having ex players and fanatical supporter types in charge who brought too much emotion with them and not enough strategy, intelligence, insight, professionalism and mostly did not know how to run a football club in that particular era.

I am questioning the relevance of the role and what exactly it will involve. For all I know it will be a good thing but I'm sceptical.

What I'm more interested in is who will be our coaching panel? I see coaches out but none in yet...

I'm sure Walls will have his best intentions in regards to helping the club.

It's just that all of our problems of the past have come about from having ex players and fanatical supporter types in charge who brought too much emotion with them and not enough strategy, intelligence, insight, professionalism and mostly did not know how to run a football club in that particular era.

I am questioning the relevance of the role and what exactly it will involve. For all I know it will be a good thing but I'm sceptical.

What I'm more interested in is who will be our coaching panel? I see coaches out but none in yet...
Yet SOS is an ex player..I see the point you make but its not so simple. Also the fact that we have 16 flags says they did know how to run a club.

Yet SOS is an ex player..I see the point you make but its not so simple. Also the fact that we have 16 flags says they did know how to run a club.

SOS never left the industry, cut his teeth at some successful clubs in a number of roles. He came to us experienced and qualified.

Guys like Kernahan on the other hand were in charge of a club that wasn't exploring how successful clubs were run and structured. I mean it took until MLG etc got there to start structuring things properly and employing good people and get rid of the "everything is on the coach" mentality. It took until then to get a list manager. It's ok to be passionate, mean well and be a Carlton person and have a crack but coming in and trying to do things how it was done in their day will drag us backwards.

I would prefer if we have highly qualified, modern and professional people in positions. It's sucks when we have to take people because pickings are slim.

If this has anything to do with satisfying power brokers, bringing the old outdated Carlton mindset back or because we wanted to fill a position and couldn't find anyone then this might not be great.

This isn't a perception from within the club, this is your perception, and the perception of other fans of other clubs.

That's why this kind of appointment actively bothers me. If our coaches are not enough themselves, go out and hire new ones, get a better balance between leadership and tactical nous; don't go out and find someone as a sop to traditionalists for a marketing win.

Other sides fans will laugh at you every year you don't win the flag, which even at Carlton is more years than not. Who legitimately gives a third of a s**t if we're the butt of jokes around the competition? They laugh when you win ("Richmond haven't beaten anyone good, anyone could beat Sydney lol") and they laugh when you lose ("Hahaha, sucked in, Hawthorn in freefall now!").

Drown out the noise. Have intent for the prize in front, ignore the rest.

As for the appointment of Walls itself, I'm dubious. I've stated my opinion - that he's been irrelevant to the AFL for the better part of two decades, and were he specifically tactically adept he'd never have been without a job - on his credentials in a 2018 context. I suppose I just have to wait and see, like everything else. Could be that he's a godsend.

Provided his role is limited, and he's aware of his own limitations, the best I can say of this is that it could be not a poor appointment.

Agree but some of Walls' Barrassi instilled hardness would not go astray....we lack mongrel.....let's start the preseason with a scarecrow.....murphy in the middle

SOS never left the industry, cut his teeth at some successful clubs in a number of roles. He came to us experienced and qualified.

Guys like Kernahan on the other hand were in charge of a club that wasn't exploring how successful clubs were run and structured. I mean it took until MLG etc got there to start structuring things properly and employing good people and get rid of the "everything is on the coach" mentality. It took until then to get a list manager. It's ok to be passionate, mean well and be a Carlton person and have a crack but coming in and trying to do things how it was done in their day will drag us backwards.

I would prefer if we have highly qualified, modern and professional people in positions. It's sucks when we have to take people because pickings are slim.

If this has anything to do with satisfying power brokers, bringing the old outdated Carlton mindset back or because we wanted to fill a position and couldn't find anyone then this might not be great.
I am talking about the heydays. What happened after Elliot is a disaster of gigantic proportions no doubt. But its not Wallsys fault and he deserves the right to a fair go at it. Give it a chance I say.

If the club was looking to satisfy any powerbrokers then Walls would have been the last person they would have appointed. Walls has never been beholden to anyone.

He woulddn't have been my preferred choice but now that he has been appointed I welcome him back and hope he is able to make a valuable contribution.

To those who are saying Bolton should have been asked who he wanted appointed I'm sure that he would have been consulted before a decision was made.

Yeah, not sure about this one. What exactly can a guy who hasn't coached in 25 years teach a modern coach?
Almost whacked us in 95 Quarter finals against Brisbane (who finished 8th but heading into finals was behind us as the most in form team, won 10 of last 11 or something and finally was tasting the fruit of his labour), and we just snuck home by 2 goals with a bit of Kouta magic. Then had a stint at Richmond so it's been more like 20 years since he last coached... one thing is he's passionate about our club and is doing this for free and cares... also a legend of our club and to even have the players have him around for a chat (especially likes of Charlie, McKay).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would also want to note, the great thing about this is that Bolton wont feel pressure that Wallsy is gunning for his job! Say you brought in a recently employed senior coach like a Choco, Ratten, Eade (who funnily enough I believe has now jumped on player management space) etc as Bolton would you want a potential rival being a mentor?? Wallsy will be doing this for the right premise to actually help our coaches out with no intentions of gunning for one of their roles etc so the coaches will be able to fully trust and confide in him.

A lot of focus on the TV and radio Robert Walls. I like the idea that not coaching for a considerable time makes you an unsuitable candidate for a role as mentor. He’s 68 years old which means he has life experience to add to his football credentials.

I think Bolton and his crew will benefit from his involvement.

I’m being positive which is what is normally posted in a welcome back thread.
Not the just the TV and Radio Robert Walls but Robert Walls opinions and
Who tf cares? Silly way to evaluate his worth.
True but it might be indicative of
Who tf cares? Silly way to evaluate his worth.
On pure surface level ur right, however I've listened to his special comments and analysis for years and think that in general he doesn't add much and lacks depth (I'm no coach or expert but u don't have to be some brilliant thinker to realize that about some people), and the poor predictions are just indicitive of that.
Just my opinion obviously.

I’m a great fan of Wallsy, but his last premiership as a player was in 1972. His last premiership as a coach was 1987.

His prediction that the current premiers would be wooden spooners this year was unfortunate and embarrassing.
Well lets hope he predicts us to come last next year eh.
Just how is it embarrasing to you though? Wallsy laughs it off and rightly so. I suggest you do the same mate.

I dont doubt Wallsy passion and love for the club. 5 years is an eternity in football let alone 25. Im not sure what he can offer in a game that is far removed from the one he coached in

Remove this Banner Ad

Back