Toast Welcome Ben Jarman - Rookie F/S Selection

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing I like about his clips, is that he gets to the right spots and makes things happen, even if it looks like he pulls it from his arse - that's the stuff you can't teach
So you're telling me this kid can pull things out of his arse and still manage to finish top in the draft combine's 'clean hands' test?

That's impressive.

Sheppard-Impressed-Gif.gif

My concerns would be that his genetics don't exactly scream elite fitness and his dad was known for his allergy to tackling (IIRC the reason Blight finally chucked it in at the AFC was he got sick of watching Fud not chase).

I am very happy to give Ben the benefit of the doubt (particularly as the other side of his DNA is Tyson Edwards :).

Darren doesn't have to imply anything though, his slide speaks for itself.

Caleb Daniel got drafted despite his size, and tying for first in the combine beep test wouldn't have done his chances any harm...

This year was a stronger draft than Caleb Daniel's draft, I'd say Wigg would have been a rookie in this year's draft but we took him instead of Daniel.

My concerns would be that his genetics don't exactly scream elite fitness and his dad was known for his allergy to tackling (IIRC the reason Blight finally chucked it in at the AFC was he got sick of watching Fud not chase).

I am very happy to give Ben the benefit of the doubt (particularly as the other side of his DNA is Tyson Edwards :).

there is no doubt that Ben has some qualities that you just can't coach, that is the ability to find space and almost make the game look like it has slowed down when the player has ball in hand

however Ben wont get the opportunity to showcase these attributes unless he is prepared to work extremely hard on the track and gets himself AFL conditioned and given that he is not genetically blessed in terms of height, strength, endurance or power he will need to work harder than most to get his opportunity

both Andrew and Darren were not the best trainers on the track however they also played in an era were you could get by on skill alone, unfortunately Ben will not be afforded that same luxury

there is no doubt that Ben has some qualities that you just can't coach, that is the ability to find space and almost make the game look like it has slowed down when the player has ball in hand

however Ben wont get the opportunity to showcase these attributes unless he is prepared to work extremely hard on the track and gets himself AFL conditioned and given that he is not genetically blessed in terms of height, strength, endurance or power he will need to work harder than most to get his opportunity

both Andrew and Darren were not the best trainers on the track however they also played in an era were you could get by on skill alone, unfortunately Ben will not be afforded that same luxury
Darren said the 98 season was the fittest he'd ever been

He was a handy player prior to that

I'm not one to get hung up on athleticism - this kid kicks both feet and has a footy brain

You can't train for that
Can't wait to see him in a couple of years

Yes.
If he works his arse off to improve his tank, he gives himself the best opportunity to use his skills.
Moving into the midfield is phase 2. Phase 1: Get bloody tank quick!

I'm not knocking the kid, I'm a believer that a quick mind, good evasion/lateral movement and good hands/feet can more than make up for lack of pure speed and/or size. But is there a ? against his tank relative to other kids his age, if so, is there a reason similar to Matty Crouch and his lack of preseasons? Or does aerobic fitness just seem to come harder for him?

There is no blood relation between Ben and Tyson. Mandy Edwards is Sue Jarman's little sister.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

No it's not. Not blood related to tyson

I had this disturbed dream last night (obviously been reading too much bf!) where it's the year 2019 and Ben Jarman has just started hitting his straps in the senior team as the Crows enter a finals series with a Qualifying Final against Port Adelaide

Cue Rucci who digs around and found out that Ben Jarman actually trained with the Port Adelaide colts when he was 13 for a week or two, which makes his f/s status null and void and he the AFL immediately transfer him to Port ahead of the final

This is what happens when I stop smoking, the dreams are vivid and they are weird.... and not the slightest bit paranoid.. haha

Sounds like you just started smoking a different plant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A bit worrying he's managed to lose 3 cm in height in such a short time! ;)

Reminds me of the inconsistencies in the reporting of Brent Harvey's actual height.

Just needs some of these shoe inserts. He'll be 6'3" in a jiffy.
IMG_7147.PNG
Plus they come with a rather attractive young lady also.

Darren doesn't have to imply anything though, his slide speaks for itself.

Caleb Daniel got drafted despite his size, and tying for first in the combine beep test wouldn't have done his chances any harm...

Maybe Ben has been working his butt off to get fitter, but some stuff comes easier for some people and is virtually impossible for others.

I look forward to the day this kid makes his debut at Adelaide Oval. The whole stadium will be roaring out "JAAAAAAAAAARRS"

:D
Can't wait for him to snap one from around the body at the G, so I can be like "Jarman again!, Around the body, that'll do, that will do!"
Ahhh still gives me goosebumps.

I'm not knocking the kid, I'm a believer that a quick mind, good evasion/lateral movement and good hands/feet can more than make up for lack of pure speed and/or size. But is there a ? against his tank relative to other kids his age, if so, is there a reason similar to Matty Crouch and his lack of preseasons? Or does aerobic fitness just seem to come harder for him?
He's in a system.
If he's lazy now he will be told to Work harder.
Imagine being surrounded by people who work their arses off constantly. Very good environment to improve anything you wish.
Lucky kid

Dad also had an allergy for running and a penchant for eating all the pies though, so as long as those aren't inherited, he shouldn't have that much trouble building fitness as a full time footballer.

Out of interest, does anybody actually know his beep test results from the combine?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back