Toast Welcome Blake "Sherrif" Acres

Remove this Banner Ad

How's when he punched the ball away in the back 15 metres, could've been goal to Geelong. Went over the boundary.
Was the chest mark option all the way, but obviously was avoiding contact.
Unbelievable

Unless his direction from the coaches was to hold back and not crowd the contest to receive the handball and distribute - he didn't put his body on the line to win the ball enough.

guys 6-7 years younger than him were going in putting their head over the ball. Acres didn't want a bar of it.

Reminded me of that game Des Headland played in the mud where the team came off the ground caked in mud - wearing our away jumper - Dessie barely had a scrap of mud on him.

Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane.

Poor game and he's better than that. No doubt the elements played a part but he needed to put in more as a senior member.

What's more energy sapping to a team?

1) An individual taking a 1v1or 2v1 hit

Or

2) 21 teammates watching their big bodied mid shirk every contest, even against players half their size.

All he needs to do is drop a sitter off his head or chest in the goal square and he'd could become a Darling

Looking that way isn't it. I watched him a fair bit at the Saints and he can play, I just don't get what happened last night. Sure those conditions aren't great for a wingman but his attack at the contest was the worst I think I have ever seen. There wasn't a single moment where he looked interested at getting the ball and when the ball came his way he seemed to back off wanting someone else to get it.

He is very very lucky we have so many injuries otherwise that performance gets you dropped for months.
Yep , not once did I see him put his body on the line or head over the ball.
Big body .. team was crying out for him to clear path through congestion time and again and he sat back like a dear in the headlights

I agree that he played very soft and didn’t look like he wanted to go for the ball, but this is his second game back after two injury setbacks. I would understand if he was mentally hesitant to go into a contest, especially wet weather. He just saw Tucker go down for a hammy and knows we have an injury list the size of War and Peace. I’m not giving him an excuse but let’s give the guy a handful of games to get going before we pile it on. Most were surprised by how well Aish has played on the wing, so maybe Acres can become serviceable too.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The main issue is just how slow he is over the first couple of metres. He really lacks that explosiveness that's required at AFL level to find your own space or even put on pressure.

His strength is that he can run, read the play and accumulate the ball. He doesn't have the best skills but I'm confident he can find 15-20 touches a game and be a solid wingman for us. Fyfe, Serong, Brayshaw, Cerra, Tucker inside and Henry, Minairo, Aish and Acres outside is a midfield I'm excited about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm happy to give him more than two games to settle in and show us what he can offer. I'm not happy that he seems to have kicked Aish out of the wing spot.

I think it's less Acres kicking Aish out and more our defenders going down is forcing Aish back.

We all know that Acres is a better player than what we've seen the past two weeks, he's been pretty soft and hasn't attacked the ball at all, but I'm willing to let him settle in and give him a bit longer before a proper judgement.

We all know that Acres is a better player than what we've seen the past two weeks, he's been pretty soft and hasn't attacked the ball at all, but I'm willing to let him settle in and give him a bit longer before a proper judgement.

He's the same player for Fremantle as he was at St Kilda.

I'm willing to givre Acres a couple of weeks to find his feet as he is coming from an interrupted pre season/start of season and in to a new team dynamic/set up, added to the conditions the other night. He wouldn't want to put too many more games like that on the board though or he will find himself behind the pecking order of some other youngsters pretty quickly.

Well he is dropped for this week, so the coaches weren’t thrilled with his game either. Hopefully he takes note.

He's gone for the week, hopefully it gives him a kick up the arse to train his butt off and play hard in the scratchies

I keep thinking about this bloke & am so disappointed at where it all sits at the moment. I hope it turns into a good story for him, because he has all the attributes to be a good footballer, but seems to lack the belief.
Hopefully as others have said, this is the kick in the ass he needed & understand its not everyone else’s fault, but his own game that needs to change for him to have a quality career.

Crossing fingers on this guy. He did look very good in pre-season prior to injury. And he did play the Geelong game like he was worried about getting injured again.

I think he will get another opportunity. If he isn’t fully fit then he probably shouldn’t have been out there. He seems like a decent bloke to have around the group and so I really hope he goes well when he next gets a chance but it’s a cut throat business and you gotta play like a tiger when you eager a chance at AFL level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back