Toast Welcome Blake "Sherrif" Acres

Remove this Banner Ad

He is definitely an outside player, his positioning around the contest in the 2nd half was first class. Always there as the outlet option & used the ball pretty well in the conditions & circumstances.

Also pushed back to the goal square in the last to support the defence & saved a scoring opportunity.

Not going to lie, he lost me in the Geelong game.

But to his credit he has been very good in the last two games. Aish and Acres on the wings is looking fairly promising. Both only 24yrs old.

Brayshaw and Serong our main inside mids.
Cerra and Tucker our inside/outside mids.
Aish and Acres our wingers.

But to his credit he has been very good in the last two games. Aish and Acres on the wings is looking fairly promising. Both only 24yrs old.

It’s interesting that on the Afl & Dockers site, Cerra has been ranked & compared amongst the wingers of the competition.

very exciting next 5 years for the club (injuries and trades aside)

If Acres can make that wing his own, you'd reckon its potentially a large piece of the jigsaw. Him and Hogan reaching their potential could be what pushes us from top 8 to top 4 in the next couple of years
+ Sturt and Henry. And possibly Young in the backline. There are three areas we need to improve (a lot) imo...

1) Retaining the ball in our forward 50. Sturt looked more composed in his 3 games than any of our other forwards have looked all season. Henry just needs time to settle in and focus on the basics first. These two could release the monster inside Hogan. And should take a bit of pressure off Walters in the process. It seems way to 'panicky' in our forward line currently - maybe they should watch Cox go to work? :)
2) Be more attacking from half back. Getting some KPDs back will likely help but someone who can launch the ball like Young could allow us to be far more aggressive from the back half. Wilson got caught on the weekend and it seemed to stop him from taking the game on from that moment onward - but he needs to back himself and be given a licence to do so - we look so much more dangerous when he is running the ball from our backline imo.
3) Better mid to forward connection. The forward line need to coordinate better to create space for each other and the mids need to honour leads (preferably not just into the pockets). Cerra, Aish and Acres are all pretty composed with ball in hand. I'm bullish on Freddy becoming far more composed in time as well (he doesn't seem to realise how much separation he gets from his speed), and adding to the wing rotation. I think these 4 guys are capable of some pretty sweet i50 delivery if the forwards get their spacing and timing right.

Do those three things and I'd bet on our scoring increasing exponentially. I personally think we already have the personnel we need, we just need to make sure we have the right assistant coaches, a renewed S&C team and give JL some time to bring it all together.

+ Sturt and Henry. And possibly Young in the backline. There are three areas we need to improve (a lot) imo...

1) Retaining the ball in our forward 50. Sturt looked more composed in his 3 games than any of our other forwards have looked all season. Henry just needs time to settle in and focus on the basics first. These two could release the monster inside Hogan. And should take a bit of pressure off Walters in the process. It seems way to 'panicky' in our forward line currently - maybe they should watch Cox go to work? :)
2) Be more attacking from half back. Getting some KPDs back will likely help but someone who can launch the ball like Young could allow us to be far more aggressive from the back half. Wilson got caught on the weekend and it seemed to stop him from taking the game on from that moment onward - but he needs to back himself and be given a licence to do so - we look so much more dangerous when he is running the ball from our backline imo.
3) Better mid to forward connection. The forward line need to coordinate better to create space for each other and the mids need to honour leads (preferably not just into the pockets). Cerra, Aish and Acres are all pretty composed with ball in hand. I'm bullish on Freddy becoming far more composed in time as well (he doesn't seem to realise how much separation he gets from his speed), and adding to the wing rotation. I think these 4 guys are capable of some pretty sweet i50 delivery if the forwards get their spacing and timing right.

Do those three things and I'd bet on our scoring increasing exponentially. I personally think we already have the personnel we need, we just need to make sure we have the right assistant coaches, a renewed S&C team and give JL some time to bring it all together.
I'm just starting to name everyone as important here and it's weird off only a couple of games but I think Sturt may be close to our most important forwardline piece. He rounds out the forwardline really nicely with poise, pressure and an ability to actually kick goals.

Reckon he would have made a massive difference in a few of our games

Last edited:
I'm just starting to name everyone as important here but it's weird off only a couple of games but I think Sturt may be close to our most important forwardline piece. He rounds out the forwardline really nicely with poise, pressure and an ability to actually kick goals.

Yep so much pressure to heap on a youngster but I completely agree. He's got speed to get separation, a good set of hands, solid set shot routine and a beautiful kick. If we are talking mid to forward connection, he very well could be our best option just 3 games in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm just starting to name everyone as important here but it's weird off only a couple of games but I think Sturt may be close to our most important forwardline piece. He rounds out the forwardline really nicely with poise, pressure and an ability to actually kick goals.

How good is he. We also miss his pace and his field kicking is very good too just seems a bit brittle really hope he can build some resilience.

We're going to have a very skillful team once these kids get going. Cerra, Sturt, Young, Henry all capable of becoming elite field kicks.

I'm just starting to name everyone as important here and it's weird off only a couple of games but I think Sturt may be close to our most important forwardline piece. He rounds out the forwardline really nicely with poise, pressure and an ability to actually kick goals.

IMO Sturt in terms of natural ability, talent, self-confidence in ability reminds me of a young Fyfe but with beast- and mark on your head-modes swapped out for speed, and elite kicking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back