Toast Welcome Blake "Sherrif" Acres

Jun 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm holding my previous judgement until it's consistent.

If he becomes a consistent player for us and doesn't revert to type I'll happily suck eggs.
Respect to you dude. Easy to just stay away from the thread after his last few games. He’s far from a guaranteed gun, but the signs have always been there although few and far between.

Locked in role should be the difference between his 1in10 good games with the Saints and what he does here.

Yeti

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2012
Newcastle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Respect to you dude. Easy to just stay away from the thread after his last few games. He’s far from a guaranteed gun, but the signs have always been there although few and far between.

Locked in role should be the difference between his 1in10 good games with the Saints and what he does here.

Yep, while it's just the internet I'm a big believer that what you write on here should be done so in how you carry yourself online.

St Kilda fans may be able to speak on him a bit better than me bit he has had these runs of games before.

Hopefully a new environment / coach / permanent role will turn him into the player he had the potential to be.

I'll certainly be happy to say I told you so if he flops. I'd much rather tell Saints supporters to suck eggs though.

Jan 23, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
So for Hill (a very good player)... we also got:
Pick 10 (Serong)
Pick 58
2021 second-round selection (32ish)
2021 fourth-round selection (70ish)
Ohh as well as Blake Acres.

Interesting comparison this year while Blake only on park for 6 games

Yep, while it's just the internet I'm a big believer that what you write on here should be done so in how you carry yourself online.

St Kilda fans may be able to speak on him a bit better than me bit he has had these runs of games before.

Hopefully a new environment / coach / permanent role will turn him into the player he had the potential to be.

I'll certainly be happy to say I told you so if he flops. I'd much rather tell Saints supporters to suck eggs though.
What I'm holding onto is that he finally has a defined role. I'm hoping a large part of his consistency issues were due to being played all over the place for the last two years. I'll also add that JL appears to be 10x the coach old mate Richo is, so that helps

His last 3 weeks have been very good (I'll hold off on exceptional until he gives a game without a terrible turnover) and he's clearly our best wing on current form

Last edited:

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
He’s played very well the last few weeks but needs to tidy up some of the dodgy turnovers. Looks like he’s has plenty of improvement in him though and can find the footy too which is great.

Cobbler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Blake Acres has been great and hopefully does well next year.

That said Brad Hill is a one of a kind player in a one of a kind season that doesn't suit him. Shorter quarters has meant Hill can't use his endurance to great effect. He did in Darwin only a couple of weeks ago when everyone else was gassed.

Serong is a beauty so that for me was worth the deal in itself, but Hill in this current line up is exactly what we're missing.

Some agile dash and someone who can change angles.

Acres has been a great gap filler, who if he continues to work hard will be a solid best 22 for years to come.

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
Ditto. And tackling. A schizophrenic beginning to his Fremantle career.

I reckon you really need to give a traded player a good season at the club before a solid judgement is passed. A lot of adjustments need to be made in that first season.

As supporters we are prone to judge players too quickly. We need to step back and remember that some have had injury interruptions, new club, new role, change of routine etc.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I reckon you really need to give a traded player a good season at the club before a solid judgement is passed. A lot of adjustments need to be made in that first season.

As supporters we are prone to judge players too quickly. We need to step back and remember that some have had injury interruptions, new club, new role, change of routine etc.
I was a fan of his inclusion in the trade but that game shook my confidence. Assuming he continues playing as he is, he can become critical for us. Has the ability to turn in match winning performances. And while you can't rely on them he becomes a player the opposition need to pay attention to.

Bring back Drum

Mundy4Hundy
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I was a fan of his inclusion in the trade but that game shook my confidence. Assuming he continues playing as he is, he can become critical for us. Has the ability to turn in match winning performances. And while you can't rely on them he becomes a player the opposition need to pay attention to.
My thoughts exactly. Additionally he has become a really reliable option at the back of the stoppage through the arcs & defensively.
Very important positioning for his teammates as they know he is there in the sweeper role. We haven’t had that consistently, even when Hill & Langdon we’re in.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
My thoughts exactly. Additionally he has become a really reliable option at the back of the stoppage through the arcs & defensively.
Very important positioning for his teammates as they know he is there in the sweeper role. We haven’t had that consistently, even when Hill & Langdon we’re in.
He is also a difficult match up with his size.

Back