Toast Welcome Blake "Sherrif" Acres

Remove this Banner Ad

The finals have no room for teams that have room for a guy like Acres
I'm not sure why we're talking about finals. Right now we need mature players so that we aren't sending out kids to get beaten up. Our wing options apart from mature guys like Acres, Aish, Colyer etc are Henry who isn't ready or Frederick. Maybe Worner gets a shot, but it takes a while to build the capacity to do the running an AFL winger is required to do.

Given where we are at we at we are still obviously going to have to carry some ordinary talent in the team for a while. But my problem isn't that with Acres the guy is just horribly physically and even mentally soft which is just a no starter at AFL level.

Should've been delisted.

I mean look at Matt de Boer, probably half the natural skill but twice the player because he has the heart of lion.

Dude obviously read my post this morning and it lit a fire under his backside.
hL82wG1.png

Not sure how much people rate AFL Player Rankings but:

FPat5igaAAQvw7n

Blake Acres apparently our third-best player this year so far.

Not sure how much people rate AFL Player Rankings but:

FPat5igaAAQvw7n

Blake Acres apparently our third-best player this year so far.

His game against St Kilda was underrated here. Had a great first half and was very physical (which I mention specifically because of all the times he's bagged out for "shirking the contest") and 7 of his possessions were contested. Sure, his second half wasn't great, but the same could be said of everyone else in the side bar Brayshaw.

He carried the physicality into today's game too. Definitely deserves consideration as among Freo's top 5 for the game.

AFL Ratings are garbage but he really has been one of our better players this year, thats including the pre season games, holds his width on the wing really well and gives us a relieving option a lot of the time.

At the game today when asked who would get the medal, I had Blake right up there (admittedly there was no standout) Was surprised he didn't get a vote, was one of our best today, gave that relief option, stood up in tackles, hit the scoreboard, set up a couple more and had a few intercepts in our attacking half, couldn't ask for much more from the wingman.

Blake Acres gets copped flak on here. I always knew he would be a Solid B grade mid averaging 20 disposals a game.

He will always get between 15-25 disposals, depending on his form.

I am keen for him to explode and have a 30 disposal and kick 2-3 goals on a game.

But yeah he is in that 25-29 year old range, he has to step up and have more solid games like the derby

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's a fun fact - Blake Acres is currently in 3rd place for best wing in the 2022 season according to AFL player rankings...

Here's a fun fact - Blake Acres is currently in 3rd place for best wing in the 2022 season according to AFL player rankings...

He's been OK this year but that is what he does. Lulls you into a false sense of security then shits the bed.

His up and under kicking shows why metres gained can be a misleading stat.

Blake Acres gets copped flak on here. I always knew he would be a Solid B grade mid averaging 20 disposals a game.

He will always get between 15-25 disposals, depending on his form.

I am keen for him to explode and have a 30 disposal and kick 2-3 goals on a game.

But yeah he is in that 25-29 year old range, he has to step up and have more solid games like the derby
I suspect if a wing significantly improved their possession numbers it has more to do with game plan than the individual.

He's definitely improved his form....kicking a few goals helps with confidence, strong tackles and generally finding the pill, using it well.....cleaner disposals and he looks a different player; but how long before the bubble bursts?! I don't know. I wish him well, I guess the good thing about players like Blake who most people wish was out of the 22 eventually is he is forced to 'perform' with other options breathing down his neck. Competition for spots is healthy, and whilst he's backing it up I have no qualms with him being in the team. Onus is on all the 22 selected to perform that week anyway (guh, no kidding Einstein..)

By definition it's a great thing for the club in any position of a best 22 player is forced out by a better player.

I'd suggest that if Acres was displaced by another winger then that player would be in contention for AA.

I'm not as big on Acres year as everyone else, I think he's been better without being excellent. The same deficiencies seem to be there but he is working hard to be a contributor. His WC game is the only one I'd class as very good personally

He's definitely stepped up and is filling a role for us, but is the type of player who should be getting pushed out by someone better in the next year or 2
This sums it up, I want Henry fulfilling his potential and pushing him out or Chapman making a midfield move. I think Aish is the calibre of player a contender has in their bottom 6 players, not Acres

I think what is helping Acres is that he knows what role he has. At the Saints, he was moved inside, outside, back, forward and didnt really settle. I am seeing a lot more settled player at the moment and it is bearing a small amount of fruit.

I think what is helping Acres is that he knows what role he has. At the Saints, he was moved inside, outside, back, forward and didnt really settle. I am seeing a lot more settled player at the moment and it is bearing a small amount of fruit.
Yeah even we messed with him last year, forcing him to be a 2nd ruck at times

Now he's just playing the width wing role and flourishing

Yeah even we messed with him last year, forcing him to be a 2nd ruck at times

Now he's just playing the width wing role and flourishing
In a way he is playing similar role to Tucker (Tucker a much better kick but slower decision maker). Perhaps we only need one, especially with the development of Noddy who can be a better version of both.

Then perhaps we don’t need either if Henry begins to flourish.

In the meantime Acres/Tucker on a wing can work well.

In a way he is playing similar role to Tucker (Tucker a much better kick but slower decision maker). Perhaps we only need one, especially with the development of Noddy who can be a better version of both.

Then perhaps we don’t need either if Henry begins to flourish.

In the meantime Acres/Tucker on a wing can work well.

Wouldn’t be surprised if one of Aish or Acres is still there in a few years and we’re a very decent team tbh.

Not everyone in the side needs to be a superstar. They’re both young enough to play a role when Brayshaw, Serong, Darcy etc. are right at the peak of their game.

Don’t know about Tucker tbh - he’s disappointed me for two and a bit seasons now. I know he’s been played out of position but at this stage he’s slowly heading in the Blakely direction.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back