#6 Brodie Grundy – Melbourne legend

Remove this Banner Ad

I was a bit hesitant initially. Not because I don’t rate Grundy. Just not sure how it’ll work. But in reality he’s an upgrade on Jackson in the immediate future. Also Max gets hammered every week. And maybe a fit Gawn will be a good option up forward. Also pick 27 is a bargain.
In terms of money. I heard he took a 50k pay cut to come over. So he’s possibly on 900k. Collingwood picking up between 300k and 120k. I suspect they are paying 150-200k a year. So we’re paying around 700-750k. Probably what we were paying Jackson if he stayed.

I for one, welcome the injection of some real talent into the rehabilitation group. For too long its been getting by on Casey plodders

Speaks very well, I never realised how big his ears are , they are incredible.
That’s about as far a speaking role as he can manage - I can’t get out of my mind the interview he did when he and Gawn were AA. He sounded like Oliver’s younger brother.

He's conducted himself with sheer class, certainly has sooked it up like Treloar, accepted it and already speaking as a Melbourne player
Yeah I think he is less self-obsessed and more self-aware then Treloar

Yeah I think he is less self-obsessed and more self-aware then Treloar
Treloar definitely got a ribbon for trying in a race once. I'd say that could be the reason he sucks so hard at being a man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last edited:
The Age reported that Grundy was on $920-950,000 at Collingwood (not $1m), that he was going to take a pay cut to join Melbourne, and that Collingwood were willing to pay up to $300,000 a year to get him off the books:

Also, don't forget there were reports about our cap squeeze earlier in the year, which made it difficult to sign both Jackson and Brayshaw (which was why the Brayshaw contract had to wait until we were pretty sure Jackson was leaving). We were reportedly offering Jackson $700-800,000 at that time. Given all of that, and the fact that we also had space to bring in Hunter, there is absolutely no way we're paying Grundy more than $700,000 a year. It wouldn't just defy good list management, it would defy all the facts.

I don't know what he is earning and how much we are paying vs. Collingwood, and neither does anyone else. What I do know is that we wanted him and the Pies didn't, hence pick 27.

Now I am just hoping he can get fit and looking forward to seeing our centre square play with him commanding it. Not sure how it will work but the coaching group took us too a premiership, so happy to wait and see what we can do with this list.

So I went to compare Gawn's 426 timeline and Grundy's Didaka timeline and...
1666001150459.png

...it turns out that Melbourne fans have seen Gawn as good as Collingwood fans have with Grundy. I was surprised to see the line take almost the exact same path, or maybe I should've since everything else lines up from their first scoring game, when they were jostling for AAs and their "declines" have also started at the same time.

Grundy's knee/ankle injury making him miss 19 games doesn't help with that, but how does that rank against Jackson since 2020 or 2021?
1666001630557.png

So this says Jackson scored slightly more in the 426 than what Grundy did in the Didaka over the 2021-22 seasons (There were 49 Dees games in that period, 47 Pies games). Granted, Grundy only played 26 of those games while Jackson played 46 of Melbourne's so despite Jackson having more chances to score, he only just got past Grundy. So Jackson has been more useful than Grundy for their respective teams over the last 2 years, but potentially only because of injuries.

Doesn't matter in comparing them anyways, Jackson checked out and wanted out, Grundy got squeezed out due to the salary cap and filled a gap at another team. Just gotta hope all parties involved know what they're doing.​

May I post in your forum?

I was waiting until this trade cooled off before I comment.

You've got a cracking player in Grundy as you probably realise. When fit he runs all day, has a high standard of ball winning on the deck and is above average disposal.

In terms of his fit, he seems perfect for you. The Pies pinched a couple of wins vs Melbourne in 22, and part of the reason was weathering the Melbourne supremacy ( its the best starting 4 in footy in Gawn Petracca Oliver and the other bloke), but when the edge comes off you can be counterpunched. I think we kicked half our goals in time on, and wrestled the last 10 minutes of the last quarter off you both times.

Grundy addresses this issue. He won us many games with superb last quarter gut running and smart ruck goals. With him its 90% game time at full bore.

That cheeky tweet with Gawn wasnt stupid, he could literally pinch hit at Gawns feet (as a shock tactic only, hes not replacing Oliver obv), hes very hard to tackle and solid disposer under pressure. More likely letting him take front half taps while Gawn takes the centre (Gawn is the best tap in rhe game, no question) and drifts back in classic ruck style is another viable tactic.

Even injured he would plug away for us: if he us long term injured Id still expect strong service for you. Most likely he will return to to his superb fitness again.

A literal embarrassment riches for you guys, and I (and a bunch of Pies) wish him well. Stupid contract management and a projected salary cap increase that failed to appear because of COVID cost us a loyal star: hes your loyal star now.

This likely puts you back above Geelong as favourites in 23 in my view.

You've got a cracking player in Grundy as you probably realise. When fit he runs all day, has a high standard of ball winning on the deck and is above average disposal.

In terms of his fit, he seems perfect for you. The Pies pinched a couple of wins vs Melbourne in 22, and part of the reason was weathering the Melbourne supremacy ( its the best starting 4 in footy in Gawn Petracca Oliver and the other bloke), but when the edge comes off you can be counterpunched. I think we kicked half our goals in time on, and wrestled the last 10 minutes of the last quarter off you both times.

Grundy addresses this issue. He won us many games with superb last quarter gut running and smart ruck goals. With him its 90% game time at full bore.

That cheeky tweet with Gawn wasnt stupid, he could literally pinch hit at Gawns feet (as a shock tactic only, hes not replacing Oliver obv), hes very hard to tackle and solid disposer under pressure. More likely letting him take front half taps while Gawn takes the centre (Gawn is the best tap in rhe game, no question) and drifts back in classic ruck style is another viable tactic.

Even injured he would plug away for us: if he us long term injured Id still expect strong service for you. Most likely he will return to to his superb fitness again.

A literal embarrassment riches for you guys, and I (and a bunch of Pies) wish him well. Stupid contract management and a projected salary cap increase that failed to appear because of COVID cost us a loyal star: hes your loyal star now.

Great post and I agree with nearly everything you say.

My only worry is whether we actually maximise the strengths of the league's best two rucks. It's a huge unknown. There's a chance it just doesn't work that well, but if it does work, it's a massive advantage.

It'll be exciting to watch it unfold, no doubt!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Appreciate the input mate, anyone who posts training insight is always appreciated whether its full of praise or criticism.

Treloar definitely got a ribbon for trying in a race once. I'd say that could be the reason he sucks so hard at being a man.
Dead heat between you and Treloar for the blue ribbon , you win by split decision of been the man as your fearless bravery and courage behind a keyboard has no peer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back