#6 Brodie Grundy – Melbourne legend

Remove this Banner Ad

So much better that Collingwood couldn't win a game last year with Grundy. And dominated when Darcy Cameron took over. I agree that Grundy is better than Jackson but it's not by a big margin. And Jackson will pass him in 12 months
But we no longer have Jackson? And we were never going to keep him. So do we just get a second rate ruckman or someone that is better than Jackson to sure up our team during our window?

But we no longer have Jackson? And we were never going to keep him. So do we just get a second rate ruckman or someone that is better than Jackson to sure up our team during our window?
We're not in our window. Not with our forward line. But to answer your question, there's no reason why Gawn can't play solo ruck. There's many rucks that are solo rucks.

We're not in our window. Not with our forward line. But to answer your question, there's no reason why Gawn can't play solo ruck. There's many rucks that are solo rucks.
I know Max is superhuman but even he was banged up come finals this season. To get more years out of him, and to make sure he's fresh come finals time, having Grundy will help this surely? Maybe the resting ruck forward doesn't work, but imagine having Gawn and Grundy rotating off the bench with one of these blokes fresh each time they come onto the ground? Tough matchup each week for the opposition rucks. Grundy is a slightly different ruck to Max also, so it gives us a different look each game. Makes teams decide to potentially go in with two rucks against us or risk playing the one. Darcy and Dogga would be the only matchup that could surely match up on us in that department.

If only we could sit first or second on the ladder for two full years, for one flag. Then we definitely be in our window

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Please stop pretending that Jackson wasn't a massive part of that third quarter turnaround!
He wasn't.

This gets completely overblown and it's an insult to guys like Brayshaw, Fritter, Petracca and Viney who had far bigger influence then that donkey.

Stats will tell you that Jackson only won a single hitout for the entire 3rd quarter.

Haha.

It was poor coaching by the dogs, but Jackson dominated for ten minutes and turned the game. It was up there with Stewie Dew in 2008 as the most important ten minutes I have witnessed in AFL. To say Angus Brayshaw was more important in changing the game is undoubtedly the worst take in football since the rules were written back in 1858.
And this is the most clueless post ever written on a board. Thanks for giving me clear evidence you have no idea what you're talking about.

Haha.

It was poor coaching by the dogs, but Jackson dominated for ten minutes and turned the game. It was up there with Stewie Dew in 2008 as the most important ten minutes I have witnessed in AFL. To say Angus Brayshaw was more important in changing the game is undoubtedly the worst take in football since the rules were written back in 1858.
Michael Jordan Lol GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In all seriousness outside of dumpster I can see a scenario where this works really well. Grundy's a 20-25 disposal ruck who is probably the most similar to Jackson in playing style in the league but better which allows Gawn to set up either behind or infront of the footy and weve managed to improve the position while getting 2 first rounders.

I know Max is superhuman but even he was banged up come finals this season. To get more years out of him, and to make sure he's fresh come finals time, having Grundy will help this surely? Maybe the resting ruck forward doesn't work, but imagine having Gawn and Grundy rotating off the bench with one of these blokes fresh each time they come onto the ground? Tough matchup each week for the opposition rucks. Grundy is a slightly different ruck to Max also, so it gives us a different look each game. Makes teams decide to potentially go in with two rucks against us or risk playing the one. Darcy and Dogga would be the only matchup that could surely match up on us in that department.
I actually think that Gawn has the wiry frame that will see him play a lot longer than most rucks. but yeah Grundy will hurt as he is a slight upgrade on Jackson. but my issue is that I value good kicks for goal. A missed shot at goal is a direct turnover and Gawn is a horrendous shot for goal and with momentum being such a big thing in football these days you just can't afford to miss easy shots. I'm not sure if Grundy is a good kick for goal or not as he hasn't kicked many goals. I'd have less issues with putting non-forwards in Gawn/Grundy in the fwd line if we had an efficient forward zone set up but more often than not a time would kick out of our zone with such ease that the ball was in the opposition forward line within 20 seconds.

In all seriousness outside of dumpster I can see a scenario where this works really well. Grundy's a 20-25 disposal ruck who is probably the most similar to Jackson in playing style in the league but better which allows Gawn to set up either behind or infront of the footy and weve managed to improve the position while getting 2 first rounders.
Finally, you're actually saying something that you can hang your hat on. Good job in having an opinion. I hope you're right. But to analyse Grundy, we need to factor in Gawn's form too.

Finally, you're actually saying something that you can hang your hat on. Good job in having an opinion. I hope you're right. But to analyse Grundy, we need to factor in Gawn's form too.
You're way too focused on the negatives. If it's set up right you could have Grundy playing the Blicavs role sneaking around the ground on smaller opponents while Gawn goes forward and back based on the match situation. We don't have to use Gawn as the main target either, a smart side would use him as a decoy dragging the best key back while Fritsch gets a worse defender. If Grundy can sniff his best form we are absolutely laughing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back