Player Watch James Borlase and Tariek Newchurch

Remove this Banner Ad

I would say the time to go safe, if there is one, is when you are close to a flag

At that point you are mainly drafting instant impact players for needs, or trading picks for needs. Or at least you should be.

Whereas at present we are trying to acquire the stars who will power us to the top 4, so we just draft to maximise the chances of a star.

Yeah, fair call. Realistically, if we don't get in a few absolute top-liners, we're going nowhere anyway. So we may as well shoot for the stars.

How bad is Horne.
maybe Horne needs to be photoshopped into a photo with a plate full of coke..

but in all seriousness. can see us being bottom 5 next year.. other players will emerge in the other states to compete with horne for the number 1 spot.

if we are down around that bottom 5 we should be able to snag him especially if he wants to stick around in SA and even mildly pushes that in his interviews...

I joked that maybe the club has told him to put the handbreak on.. and then cruise a bit this year because there really was some interest in the media in when his highlights reel dropped.. i was told that the club wouldnt tell him to do something like that and now i dont know, maybe they did..

Sounds like they told Rowe to shut up about him, now it sounds like they told tariek himself to take the highlights reel of himself down.. is it really a stretch to think they may have at the same time also told him to just cruise his way through his games this year?. Bit of a nod and a wink..

After all.. We’ve all heard the rumours about west coast doing all the sly sh*t they can to try and hide WA talent and talk them down during their draft year in an attempt to make them less attractive in the east and increase their chances of landing them a little bit cheaper..

Didn't pretty much all our draftees miss the state combine and the U/18 All-Stars match too? Newchurch did play in the latter though.

I remember when halfway through the year Mutineer and others were really dissapointed with Newie and I watched a few of his games and, appart from a few really promising flashes of utter brilliance, they were right to be dissapointed.. kid seriously looked disinterested most of the time and looked as if he spent most of his time waiting for the ball/contest to land in his lap..

I joked that maybe the club has told him to put the handbreak on.. and then cruise a bit this year because there really was some interest in the media in when his highlights reel dropped.. i was told that the club wouldnt tell him to do something like that and now i dont know, maybe they did..

Sounds like they told Rowe to shut up about him, now it sounds like they told tariek himself to take the highlights reel of himself down.. is it really a stretch to think they may have at the same time also told him to just cruise his way through his games this year?. Bit of a nod and a wink..

After all.. We’ve all heard the rumours about west coast doing all the sly sh*t they can to try and hide WA talent and talk them down during their draft year in an attempt to make them less attractive in the east and increase their chances of landing them a little bit cheaper..

Maybe the penny has finally dropped at the crows.. gotta start being total sly pricks and game the system as much as we can to our advantage..

Gonna be hilarious if Newie comes out next year and dominates from day 1!. And everyone starts questioning where it was in 2020.

in all honesty tho.. i’d have my money on him spending most of 2021 in the SANFL.. may get a run in a preseason game though..

really excited about watching all these youngsters next year in the SANFL games.. almost looking forward to the sanfl league more than the AFL!
Just get excited about the team Mackay isn’t in

Ironically busts are better for your club than someone who is thereabouts.

Eg a player like Poholke stays on the list for 4 years, plays 20 or so matches. Eventually you see that he's not quite up to it and he gets cut.

During those 4 years he's soaked up development resources, coaching time, playing opportunities and a list spot ahead of other players. Those investments ultimately come to nothing and could have been used elsewhere. You're not to know at the time of course.

You want either picks who become good players or blazing, immediately obvious failures that you spend no time on.

Not every draft pick will make it and you don't need them to. If players have a 10-12 year career then you only need 1-2 from each draft on average to become a first 22 quality player. And you only have space for that many anyway.
Agree. Also, decent players who are extremely dedicated and in their early to mid twenties (and known quantities)are not too hard to get cheaply. Probably better drafting for extreme talent/upside and then filling the squad out with Keays types who cost little in cap space and draft currency, and are already developed.

I remember when halfway through the year Mutineer and others were really dissapointed with Newie and I watched a few of his games and, appart from a few really promising flashes of utter brilliance, they were right to be dissapointed.. kid seriously looked disinterested most of the time and looked as if he spent most of his time waiting for the ball/contest to land in his lap..

Maybe the penny has finally dropped at the crows.. gotta start being total sly pricks and game the system as much as we can to our advantage..

How do we get Isaac Keeler to put the handbrake on for the next two years? Is projected possible top 10 in 2022, but we only get access if he lands pick 40+.

Thinking about the power law of investing in start ups. So goes the theory:

You invest in 10 start ups

The most profitable makes more money than the other 9 combined
The next most profitable makes more money than the other 8 combined
Etc

So when choosing investments, go for a small chance of massive returns rather than a decent chance of good returns

I reckon drafting when rebuilding is along these lines. The quality of the best 3 players you draft will have more impact on whether you win a flag than the next 10 players you draft

1 Luke Hodge means the 5 Beau Mustons don’t matter.

Better for every draftee to be 80 percent bust / 20 percent star

Rather than 30 percent bust / 70 percent pretty good

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't he mainly playing forward in his young years hence all those exciting left foot snap goals and why recruiters consider him a forward but also a versatile ruckman and he only played mostly in the ruck in his draft year because the lead ruck for West Adelaide was injured for most of the year.

Played a fair bit of ruck as well, was named ruck in the U16 champs AA team.

Parella at Westies played most games, the issue was for Riley is the ball wasn't coming down consistently and thus they were trying to get him around the footy a bit more. His clearance/stoppage work is absolutely elite for someone his size, as is his ability to link up like a midfielder and deliver accurately and effectively off both feet.

He'll be dangerous as a forward, but there'll be days where you just want him around the footy as much as you can because he'll impact play like a big bodied midfielder and set up goals.

Surely it's time for Newchurch. Guy oozes talent and would add some much needed pace to the side.

Let's see if he has what it takes.

What have we got to lose

We need to find a Cameron replacement... as we are playing too many small forwards who hardly kick a goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back