List Mgmt. Welcome Clay Hall (Pick 38, 2023 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Are we playing Guess Who now?

My post wasn't a joke BTW, I'm keen to know from draft watchers why they think he slid so much when he's rated so highly.
Not sure. Looks pretty handy to me. Played 9 league games at Peel and didn't out of place. His numbers are good. Think we just got lucky. Hopefully has a good career.

I'm excited that we picked him.

But I'm not in the know like some other regarding these young guys.

Can someone tell me why a top 5 rated mid (according to being AA) lasted to the pick he did?

Is it his ceiling? Was he torturing special needs animals? Does he like Hawaiian pizza?
Ollie Murphy ,Archie Roberts ,George Stevens were selected as AA and they drifted to Picks 41,54 and 58 ..I would say the Academy picks and F/S picks were a reason that these players weren`t taken earlier ..

Not sure. Looks pretty handy to me. Played 9 league games at Peel and didn't out of place. His numbers are good. Think we just got lucky. Hopefully has a good career.

I can't remember who it was, but I watched a colt's game on streamer and one of the players from that game was asked, "Who's the best player you've seen in this year's colts?" [may not be word for word, but you get the drift]. The reply was - Clay Hall.
So, yes, he is a good get.

The kid who who just carves up at every level, importantly has to include league football as well against men, below AFL level can go one of two ways:
1. He is found out as a result of lacking the ability to develop a baseline AFL level attribute required (usually speed, endurance, or disposal efficiency); or
2. He just continues on and carves up at AFL level and everyone goes, on yeah, that makes sense, because he was carving up at every other level.

From what i understand Hall has enough speed/endurance, and his disposal efficiency isn't catastrophic, so here's hoping he falls into the second category.

People were frothing when Reid did well in 3 games at VFL level, yet are a bit down on this pick for a guy who's done it for 9 games in the WAFL?

If he was a 24yo pulling those numbers, you'd have a point.

He's 18, Reid's said he's the hardest matchup he had in the champs, only midfielder not in the Allies to make the AA squad(!) and doesn't have any attributes to raise serious concern at the next level.

People will be wondering in 5 years time how this bloke slid to pick 38...

People will be wondering in 5 years time how this bloke slid to pick 38...

I'm wondering now, seems like a good player and doesn't particularly make sense to me other than perhaps recruiters believe he's close to his ceiling. He looks fast and hard at it - the comparisons to Chick seem accurate. Hope we got a gem.

I'm wondering now, seems like a good player and doesn't particularly make sense to me other than perhaps recruiters believe he's close to his ceiling. He looks fast and hard at it - the comparisons to Chick seem accurate. Hope we got a gem.

I watched the 2006 premiership year dvd again a few months back. Chicky was an unbelievable presence out on the field, one of our key players for sure. Intensity level at 9000 the entire time.

If Clay can bring something approaching that level of commitment he will be an absolute gun.

We're probably one of the poorest represented sides at the coal face. Our best mid in TK is actually best suited being a possession off the hard ball.

The perceived knock on Hall might be that his game is inside only and so he doesn't offer the versatility that the other midfield talent in the draft had. For us that's a huge win, we really need someone we can plug into the guts who gets dirty and wins heaps of footy.

Easy to focus on what a player can't do instead of what they can, but that's a view to be flexible on outside of the first round. Reckon we've got a beauty here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

episode 8 brandine spuckler GIF

the name clay gives me this vibe

This here's the story of Cassius Clay
Whose full name is Clay Halli
He knows how to talk and he knows how to fight
And all the contenders were beat out of sight

Sing, Clay, Clay Hall
He floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee
Clay, the AA superman
Who calls to the other guy I'm Clay catch me if you can

Clays as smooth as silk in front of the microphone 🎙, what a natural as far as speaking in a public forum, none of the umms and arrrs that you normally get.

He comes across as quite assured, confident and articulate, I thought he came across well and was very impressive.

Um, look at the draft year he put together despite a back concern that maybe should have been rested through the latter half of that campaign. Speaks like a leader, love his confidence.

I think he’s gonna be a keeper and exceed many peoples pre draft expectations. Love the attitude and what he said about the aim to take it up to his fellow draftees and senior members of the side equally. He seems the type that is instantly acutely aware that an AFL career can be fickle and he’s 100% going to take his best shot at this

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back