Welcome Welcome Corey Wagner!!!! Pick 57 in the 2022 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking at the 2022 VFL stats - Port Melbourne had a 7 win, 11 loss season and Wagner played in 15 of those games for 6 wins 9 losses.

7 games on the Wing (left)
4 in the centre
4 on the half back flank (right)

Don't know how accurate that is as it might just be based on starting team line ups. Later, I looked up Josh Corbett's stats on the same site and it his has him lining up everywhere except in the forward line and yet he has a 30 goal season and bags of 5 from CHB and WL.

Stats for 2021 & 2022 are listed here (there's an indication of position played in each game):

Web capture_8-12-2022_23411_vfl.aflmstats.com.jpeg
2022 VFL End of Season Ladder Positons 1. Casey 2. Brisbane 3. Southport 4. Sydney 5. Gold Coast 6. Collingwood 7. Carlton. 8. Box Hill 9. Richmond 10. Werribee 11. Footscray 12. Sandringham. 13 GWS 14. Geelong 15. Essendon 16. Port Melb 17. Frankston 18. North Melb 19. Coburg 20. Williamstown 21. Nth Bullants
Port Melbourne scores results stats for 2021 & 2022

Wagner had 2 votes in the medal table for best VFL player of 2022 (winner polled 30 votes) and 11 votes in the coaches award for the season (winner polled 120 votes).

Last edited:
In one of his most recent radio interviews after being picked up he specifically mentions Jack Sinclair as the type of role he excels in. Same height, similar tank, similar skillset.

Plays as the attacking half back, rebounding from the defensive 50, and can shift onto the wing.

Perseverance pays off for Wagner. Great story. Interesting to learn that Walls first interviewed him in 2015.

Perseverance pays off for Wagner. Great story. Interesting to learn that Walls first interviewed him in 2015.

Great article, I'm really happy that he's settled and found a spot in the side given how hard he's had to work to keep his AFL career alive.

Also highlights how critical Walters is for the team.

Not really represented by the posts in this thread but reading the Worner thread and the comments on Wagner, it reminded me the 2023 roller-coaster reactions with respect to this guy on this board.

Early in the season it started with some posting "why did we waste a pick on this guy?" (noting it was pick 57 that we took him with so I always had to laugh given that there are concerns there won't even be 57 players taken in this years draft). I think it is fair to say there were some pretty negative reactions in the April time period, probably spurred on by some poor kicking probably due to nerves.

By round 23 however, he has finished with some on this board saying has "this guy really could be best 22". That's some improvement, that deservedly should be celebrated.

A key component of the success has been his ability to deliver by foot (arguably better than Walker earlier in the season whose spot he has filled), complimented by taking the game on and also defending pretty well as well.

Not really represented by the posts in this thread but reading the Worner thread and the comments on Wagner, it reminded me the 2023 roller-coaster reactions with respect to this guy on this board.

Early in the season it started with some posting "why did we waste a pick on this guy?" (noting it was pick 57 that we took him with so I always had to laugh given that there are concerns there won't even be 57 players taken in this years draft). I think it is fair to say there were some pretty negative reactions in the April time period, probably spurred on by some poor kicking probably due to nerves.

By round 23 however, he has finished with some on this board saying has "this guy really could be best 22". That's some improvement, that deservedly should be celebrated.

A key component of the success has been his ability to deliver by foot (arguably better than Walker earlier in the season whose spot he has filled), complimented by taking the game on and also defending pretty well as well.
An old recycled player. 26 year olds should push for selection from the beginning. And his first two games early in the season were pretty average.

Was lucky to be the sub when Walker broke down and has delivered since.

Think that reaction was pretty normal.

An old recycled player. 26 year olds should push for selection from the beginning. And his first two games early in the season were pretty average.

Was lucky to be the sub when Walker broke down and has delivered since.

Think that reaction was pretty normal.

Our coaches were desperate to shift the rut early in the season. He played way too soon, had an interrupted preseason and was injured. He then played accordingly.

Had no issue with the selection of Wagner. My query was selecting him in the ND rather than as a rookie. Had we upgraded Banfield last year and held off and selected Wagner as a rookie then we would have a bit more flexibility this year.

It prob took him those first couple of shaky games to realise he had to step up. He then went back to Peel and really took the game on.

After the totality of the season the selection was more than reasonable. He will step in and play a lot of AFL the next couple of years. Just needs to work on his body positioning as a defender. Watching the US basketball at the World Cup and Austin Reaves has been very good contributor. The Euro teams however are targeting him on their offence as a post up play. Lithuania constantly played their offence via a low post on Reaves.

My relevance is that as a one-on-one defender he is vulnerable. Some clubs will look to expose this. He needs to work on this during off-season. Bit more core and hip strength.

He was also tagged in the Peel final on the weekend.

He has been a solid selection by Walls with the third last ND selection.

When Chapman comes back the defence will be Pearce Ryan Draper Chapman Walker Aish Clark, and you also have Worner and Hughes as depth options as medium defenders, plus Draper has the skills and athleticism to even be a 3rd tall with others moving down in match-up once Cox returns. Wagner gave us something different at the end of last year, but with others now using their rebounding abilities as well (especially Clark's improvement in that area) and Wagner being a very iffy 1 on 1 defender to say the least, it's hard to see how Wagner breaks into the defence without injuries.

This is all building to say this: while it might be a bit of an out there idea, with Wagner coming back (still definitely needs time in the WAFL to get his body right), could he be someone we float as an option in a more fwd or wing/hff role? His speed, skills, attack on ball, and attacking mindset could make him an option in more dangerous areas, where we currently seem to be lacking ideas. We're already seeing at Peel level Nathan Wilson make the transition successfully, and fwiw Wagner has played in those areas before (tho prior to joining us he found a home at half back).

Walters is still our most dangerous fwd with the ball in hand, but he's been too easily shut down from getting the ball in those areas in recent weeks. Imo you need to surround him with speed and attack to in turn unlock him, and apart from Freddy we really don't have much of that. Switta and Banfield are decent hands and grafters, but they're not torching many defenders. Emmett has nice attributes that you can see coming together into a somewhat threatening prospect, but he's not there yet. We can rotate any number of midfielders into fwd areas, but they don't add much run. NOD and Sturt may yet put together some good WAFL form that makes you believe they're capable of their previous purple patches, but that's far from a guarantee. Delean is raw and physically not ready, and the same goes for Conrad x 10.

To me, apart from those mentioned, the guys that leaves to provide further run in fwd areas apart from something like swinging Wagner fwd are Simpson and Stanley, and Wagner might beat them to a spot just purely on being more physically up to it. I wouldn't throw Wagner in for a nailed-in spot in those more fwd areas, but I think with the options we have there and with him not really needed in defence, his hat should be thrown into the ring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Chapman comes back the defence will be Pearce Ryan Draper Chapman Walker Aish Clark, and you also have Worner and Hughes as depth options as medium defenders, plus Draper has the skills and athleticism to even be a 3rd tall with others moving down in match-up once Cox returns. Wagner gave us something different at the end of last year, but with others now using their rebounding abilities as well (especially Clark's improvement in that area) and Wagner being a very iffy 1 on 1 defender to say the least, it's hard to see how Wagner breaks into the defence without injuries.

This is all building to say this: while it might be a bit of an out there idea, with Wagner coming back (still definitely needs time in the WAFL to get his body right), could he be someone we float as an option in a more fwd or wing/hff role? His speed, skills, attack on ball, and attacking mindset could make him an option in more dangerous areas, where we currently seem to be lacking ideas. We're already seeing at Peel level Nathan Wilson make the transition successfully, and fwiw Wagner has played in those areas before (tho prior to joining us he found a home at half back).

Walters is still our most dangerous fwd with the ball in hand, but he's been too easily shut down from getting the ball in those areas in recent weeks. Imo you need to surround him with speed and attack to in turn unlock him, and apart from Freddy we really don't have much of that. Switta and Banfield are decent hands and grafters, but they're not torching many defenders. Emmett has nice attributes that you can see coming together into a somewhat threatening prospect, but he's not there yet. We can rotate any number of midfielders into fwd areas, but they don't add much run. NOD and Sturt may yet put together some good WAFL form that makes you believe they're capable of their previous purple patches, but that's far from a guarantee. Delean is raw and physically not ready, and the same goes for Conrad x 10.

To me, apart from those mentioned, the guys that leaves to provide further run in fwd areas apart from something like swinging Wagner fwd are Simpson and Stanley, and Wagner might beat them to a spot just purely on being more physically up to it. I wouldn't throw Wagner in for a nailed-in spot in those more fwd areas, but I think with the options we have there and with him not really needed in defence, his hat should be thrown into the ring.
Thinking this the other day. Wagner the fwd pocket 👍

Can you imagine Willo’s reaction to this conversation?
“Great work, you’ve really adapted to the forward role, in fact you’ve inspired us to have a look a few others who could potentially fill a hole in the AFL team, now, Unfortunately, we can’t fit you, Simpson, Delean & Wagner in the forward line at the same time, so we’re moving you back to defence.
Keep up the good work mate”

Everyone seems to think Hughes is the one to go, i highly doubt it personally.

I think while Cox is out Draper goes and then they shuffle down.

Ryan goes in that second key defender role while Chapman takes his role. The rest remain status quo.

Ryan goes in that second key defender role while Chapman takes his role. The rest remain status quo.
No way. Draper's doing a great job for a skinny 20yo and Ryan is absolutely dominating as the 3rd tall. No chance we change that mix to keep Hughes in the team.

If we wanted Ryan to be the 2nd key back, we would've done it by now. Like JL has on purpose gone out of his way to not do that, even though Ryan would've probably done a better job on Curnow especially in the 2nd half when he got on top of us.

If we wanted Ryan to be the 2nd key back, we would've done it by now. Like JL has on purpose gone out of his way to not do that, even though Ryan would've probably done a better job on Curnow especially in the 2nd half when he got on top of us.
Absolutely.

I tend to suffer from imposter syndrome a bit (vacillating a bit between it on one hand and towering arrogance on the other) so I'm always second guessing my pronouncements. I'd seen enough of those 'little things' you see from players that mark them out during the last 3 games though to turn to my son (8) during Saturday night and say 'This kid Draper is going to be an out and our star'. (He didn't hear or care as he was too caught up in it, so he won't be able to back me up in this in a few years time when I'm trying to claim \ disclaim my early call.)

Last edited:
You are right on this one. Draper will be something special. I saw it in the preseason scratche against the Weavils but doscounted because of the oppo. Reality is, though, he has the kind of composure that comes with certainty and self-belief.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back