Universal Love Welcome Curtly Hampton

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends. How did you think he played against the GWS? Then he got dropped and then missed 2 games. Came back in for 2 games. First game, had great defensive pressure and got a few touches and then second game a stinker. You make it sound like we have been putting up with this for years. Doesnt sound like you needed much of an excuse to ask people to stop making excuses.
With McGovern out and the need to keep a strong forward line mix I think Menzel still offers more what we need than Beech, the next in line.

With McGovern out and the need to keep a strong forward line mix I think Menzel still offers more what we need than Beech, the next in line.
I would say Beech is more like for like than Menzel if we're talking as a replacement for McGovern, superb overhead and an accurate kick.....and he might actually offer more impact than Menzel because let's face it Menzel isn't offering a whole lot.

Defensive pressure, crumbing, mid half forward, X factor. He played a poor game on the weekend but I wouldn't expect that to be the norm. He still got to plenty of contests (I was at the game) he just didn't get used for whatever reason.
Long, long time since Troy showed any X Factor whatsoever.......and are you saying Beech doesn't offer defensive pressure, mid half forward and crumbing?
Some overrating of Menzel circa AFC going on here and certainly some underrating of Beech IMO.

Defensive pressure, crumbing, mid half forward, X factor. He played a poor game on the weekend but I wouldn't expect that to be the norm. He still got to plenty of contests (I was at the game) he just didn't get used for whatever reason.
yep

I suggested its because he didn't give the handpass to Eddie in his pocket against the bombers ;)

Have been a supporter of Hampton and last year I waited for him to break into our team. He hasn't let me down. Think this guy can be a huge contributor if he keeps on improving. More improvement ...more confidence...more improvement...it can just snowball.

So far I have resisted to get too critical of Menzel. I wanted him in our team to give him a chance and to see what he can bring. So far I am not impressed and would now join those who want him sent back to the two's. Would love to see Greenwood get a chance just like Menzel got.

Although there are many that don't rate what Hampton brings ... yes Vader he didn't get a lot of coaches votes last year ... The more I see of Hampton the more I see him being a cog we should be trying to slot into our 22.

He tackles well, has real pace, great skills. He has a high ceiling in so many parts of the game, and he seems to believe in himself as a player.

I'm hopeful that he continues to be injury free and shows all of the naysayers that he just needed some time.

Although there are many that don't rate what Hampton brings ... yes Vader he didn't get a lot of coaches votes last year ... The more I see of Hampton the more I see him being a cog we should be trying to slot into our 22.

He tackles well, has real pace, great skills. He has a high ceiling in so many parts of the game, and he seems to believe in himself as a player.

I'm hopeful that he continues to be injury free and shows all of the naysayers that he just needed some time.

Need some continuity before we'll know if he can perform at the level consistently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's understandable Curtly has decision making issues, he's spent the best part of 3 years in the injury room.

I wasn't a fan but now converted. I think the perception of him is that he brings a classy, skilled, outside type of game - bit flashy.

He doesn't. He's a blue collar, coalface, inside mid. I have a better appreciation of him now that I've come to terms with this.

On Sunday he ranked 1 for tackles, 2 for clearances, 3 for contested poss and 5 for total poss. These stats reflect what he does, a whole lot of dirty work.

But Elite Crow is right, he needs to bring more and show better decision making skills as well as upping the poss count.

His handball in our last centre clearance to release MC when still standing in a tackle was elite - the tools are there.

Given his first 8 games last year and the JLT Sunday, it's clear Pyke sees him as a mid - that's his niche, not half back nor half forward. He's just a genuine hustling bustling inside mid.

Remains to be seen whether he's got enough to keep a spot in a strong mid rotation. No doubt though that there were 2 games on Sunday. The one when Crouch, Gibbs and Hampton were in the guts - and the one when they weren't. He's on track for R1 imo.

I wasn't a fan but now converted. I think the perception of him is that he brings a classy, skilled, outside type of game - bit flashy.

Given his first 8 games last year and the JLT Sunday, it's clear Pyke sees him as a mid - that's his niche, not half back nor half forward. He's just a genuine hustling bustling inside mid.

Remains to be seen whether he's got enough to keep a spot in a strong mid rotation. No doubt though that there were 2 games on Sunday. The one when Crouch, Gibbs and Hampton were in the guts - and the one when they weren't. He's on track for R1 imo.

I see him more so in a Douglas type mould. A half forward that can play multiple roles across the midfield, whether it's inside or out. He is registering a lot of inside-type stats as you touched on, but he has so much class on the outside when it all clicks. He was elite as a junior playing as a half forward and I think that's where he should predominantly play with stints in the midfield, none of this half back crap. Some guys are just much better players forward of centre.

My favourite example of this has always been Mark Nicoski. A truly woeful player in the back lines. Couldn't hit targets, couldn't defend to save his life and was just a dead set liability. Throw him forward and all of a sudden he turns into a completely different player and becomes a genuine goal threat and team contributor. Obviously Nicoski is at the very extreme end of the scale. But there's not a lot of room left as a pure midfielder, and so if Hampton wants to find himself playing 22 games this year, he's going to have to continue working on his production as a half forward, while also producing when playing inside mid.

If he can continue to be effective as an inside mid and not make crucial errors when on the outside at half forward, then rotating Hampton, Greenwood and Sloane to help break the tag between midfield and a forward spot could be an absolute killer for opposition coaches to try and match up on. If those 3 can prove to be effective when resting forward, then hit the midfield hard when it's their turn to go it could provide us with a massive advantage.

If Hampton is going to be a pure inside mid, then I don't see a spot for him in the side (assuming a fit 22), ditto CEY.

I see him more so in a Douglas type mould. A half forward that can play multiple roles across the midfield, whether it's inside or out. He is registering a lot of inside-type stats as you touched on, but he has so much class on the outside when it all clicks. He was elite as a junior playing as a half forward and I think that's where he should predominantly play with stints in the midfield, none of this half back crap. Some guys are just much better players forward of centre.

My favourite example of this has always been Mark Nicoski. A truly woeful player in the back lines. Couldn't hit targets, couldn't defend to save his life and was just a dead set liability. Throw him forward and all of a sudden he turns into a completely different player and becomes a genuine goal threat and team contributor. Obviously Nicoski is at the very extreme end of the scale. But there's not a lot of room left as a pure midfielder, and so if Hampton wants to find himself playing 22 games this year, he's going to have to continue working on his production as a half forward, while also producing when playing inside mid.

If he can continue to be effective as an inside mid and not make crucial errors when on the outside at half forward, then rotating Hampton, Greenwood and Sloane to help break the tag between midfield and a forward spot could be an absolute killer for opposition coaches to try and match up on. If those 3 can prove to be effective when resting forward, then hit the midfield hard when it's their turn to go it could provide us with a massive advantage.

If Hampton is going to be a pure inside mid, then I don't see a spot for him in the side (assuming a fit 22), ditto CEY.
Agreed - he does have good goal sense to add to ,his bow and can be very effective at creating a scoring opportunity for himself.

If he can start hitting the scoreboard consistently, it will help his cause significantly

Decision making can and will improve. I am not too worried about it. He brings a lot of attributes that we as a side lack so I personally would be finding a spot in the side for him somewhere.

IMO he needs to play more on instinct

The more time he has to think, the more likely he will make the wrong decision

As I have been saying all pre-season, Hampton should be our best 22 as a pressure forward who can impact on the scoreboard & also rotate in the midfield.

I would like to see Hampton, Knight & Gallucci all rotating as forward/midfielders as they bring different attributes.

This then allows us to push Sloane, Greenwood, Gibbs & even Atkins forward during games.

I want to see us with deeper midfield rotations, like the great Cats & Hawks sides have had... which gives the coaching staff options to mix things up when needed.

I like both guys and they play different roles.
CEY us more of a pure mid. I really can't see a spot for him with Slaone, Brouch and Greenwood back.

Hampton is an attacking mid/flanker. Although he could also be a small forward. He is more likely to play but is behind a few guys. I do hope one of those is not Mackay though.

It is great see both guys driving those up the list to perform. This is how we improve as an overall team.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Decision making can and will improve. I am not too worried about it. He brings a lot of attributes that we as a side lack so I personally would be finding a spot in the side for him somewhere.

Agreed, I think he’ll always have the odd brain fade, but he’s that type of player, he’s a play maker, he takes risks.

Yeah good post. Like you wouldn’t play Tex at full back or Betts in the back pocket, Hampton isn’t a defender.

I think at this stage he’s looking to replace either Cameron or Knight(injury) in a half forward come midfielder role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back