Welcome Daniel Jackson, Leadership Development Manager

Remove this Banner Ad

He is friends with Fagan.

This is 'a job for the boys'. We seriously could not get anyone in Australia with no personal connection to people high up at the club?

They're not getting the benefit of the doubt on this one from me.
So every person that is to be employed by the club let’s do a run around the staff, anyone here know person A, yes I do, sorry no job, let’s move on to person B ditto

So every person that is to be employed by the club let’s do a run around the staff, anyone here know person A, yes I do, sorry no job, let’s move on to person B ditto

Yeah sorry. In the context of where this club is at, it means absolutely nothing that the person appointed to a role made as a result of the review (which found a boys club culture) is friends with the CEO.

Sorry! Play on!

He is friends with Fagan.

This is 'a job for the boys'. We seriously could not get anyone in Australia with no personal connection to people high up at the club?

They're not getting the benefit of the doubt on this one from me.
“Met Fagan through a friend” does that make him Fagans friend?

So he wanted to come back to SA? Who gives a flying *, how is that a negative?

The only thing we know is he’s got an impressive CV.

I hardly think his appointment is one you should be worked up over.

Yeah sorry. In the context of where this club is at, it means absolutely nothing that the person appointed to a role made as a result of the review (which found a boys club culture) is friends with the CEO.

Sorry! Play on!

how do you always, and I mean literally always, find a way to take the wrong side of any issue?

friend can mean all sorts of things these days, from best buddies to vague contact or acquaintance. Further he’s got the qualifications for the role

Sorry! Play on!
Hes not mates with Fagan..... bloody hell mate you've got this so badly wrong and you're doubling down hard.

Hes not mates with Fagan..... bloody hell mate you've got this so badly wrong and you're doubling down hard.
I’m pretty sure the one time I spoke with Fagan he might have called me mate. So based on this once the club recruits me for my expert opinion, there will be cries of a boys club appointment and not based on merit which will piss me off.

LOL, how the hell can this thread go feral so quickly.

The guy is really qualified and speaks impressively. He seems like a straight up and honest bloke.

Exactly. Shouldn't he be the expert? Why haven't we got an expert?

Seems like a nice guy, glad Fages has sorted him out with a job since he was moving here anyway.

Cultures/organisations and leaders are all totally unique.
Anyone claiming to be an 'expert' in fixing culture is a snake oil saleseman.

I think the kind of behaviour you don’t like to see in terms of conflict of interest, is something like this:

Person A is demonstrably close friends with person B. By that I mean really close, played footy together, got into business together, best man at the others wedding.

Then, by virtue of his senior position, person A gifts person B a senior role when person B is patently unqualified.

Person A then stays in person B’s direct line of supervision and refuses to act when the inevitable incompetence becomes clear.

Now, normally you couldn’t make up that level of stupidity in any organisation - but here we are.

I think we are fair way from that kind of incompetence in this particular case.

LOL, how the hell can this thread go feral so quickly.

The guy is really qualified and speaks impressively. He seems like a straight up and honest bloke.
There is like one person complaining about this appointment. Most people seem pretty positive about it.

I'm pretty indifferent about it. We need to change things up and this is just another example of that. Hopefully it works out.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry! Play on!

If you listened to the interview he had no intentions of coming back to Australia let alone Adelaide.The rest followed on from an informal chat.

Think you have this one wrong.

Some people really can't listen properly.

He said he is friends with someone who knows Fages. That is how Fages got in touch with him to see if he might be interested. Not that he is absolute besties boys club got a job only that way. He was happy in his job in the UK, but the opportunity plus he gets to be back closer to his partner who had moved back home to Adelaide made him look into it.

You lot having massive melts realise who is one of our Physios right? Duncan Kellaway. The lack of knowledge from some people shouldn't astound me, but here we are.

Last edited:
Cultures/organisations and leaders are all totally unique.
Anyone claiming to be an 'expert' in fixing culture is a snake oil saleseman.

In particular with football clubs and the Adelaide football which is unique. I think he will have zero impact in his time at the club. If we become successful he will get the credit but if not he will make a quiet exit.

In particular with football clubs and the Adelaide football which is unique. I think he will have zero impact in his time at the club. If we become successful he will get the credit but if not he will make a quiet exit.

The truth is no matter what happens you and I will have absolutely ZERO idea whether he contributed or not.

I haven't read back pages. I'm not an expert. But here's my thoughts:

My opinion of him from media appearances in his playing days suggest he would be great in this role. The fact he is mates with Fages or someone who knows him is irrelevant to me, I think he has enough integrity and is far enough removed this isn't a problem. Looking forward to seeing if he can make the place a little more inspiring to play for.

Saw the interview and just read the info on Dan Jackson through AFC website: https://www.afc.com.au/news/558114/daniel-jackson-appointed-to-leadership-position

These are his credentials:
* Masters of Science
* Performance Psychology from the University of Edinburgh

He also appears to be well rounded in other aspects of mentoring and counseling:
* claimed the inaugural AFL’s Jim Stynes Community Leadership Award in recognition of his commitment to the mental health and wellbeing of young people through his involvement with a number of charity and community-based organisations.
* since retiring as a player in 2014, he has a strong and proven track record of working with sports and corporate professionals to optimise performance with a focus on leadership, purpose and resilience.
* ran workshops, covering a range of areas such as managing performance stress, at secondary schools in London, Melbourne and Adelaide.
* served as an AFL Europe Commissioner (whatever that is?!)

Overall credentials appear adequate enough. Would be interesting to know how his role would affect the club as a whole. And also how do we measure his success, other than win results on the board?

Some people really can't listen properly.

He said he is friends with someone who knows Fages. That is how Fages got in touch with him to see if he might be interested. Not that he is absolute besties boys club got a job only that way. He was happy in his job in the UK, but the opportunity plus he gets to be back closer to his partner who had moved back home to Adelaide made him look into it.

You lot having massive melts realise who is one of our Physios right? Duncan Kellaway. The lack of knowledge from some people shouldn't astound me, but here we are.
Kellaway is married to Ben Holland's sister. He must have been plotting against us since day 1.
The paranoia over Jackson's appointment is comedic.

Goood talker. Impressive.

It really irks me when people say journey or stakeholders.

Just say people and path/ride/adventure/quest/tour... anything else!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back